Why is the back button on my phone so unresponsive?

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Back button unresponsive

The Back button on my new AT&T Lumia 830 is really flakey.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I can press it 10 times and it not work, but sometimes it's fine

Is this a widespread issue? I haven't seen it reported here.

I bought the phone outright with no insurance. So who do I contact about getting it fixed?

Ploydd

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Re: Back button unresponsive

I've noticed mine has a very small contact spot. It's not unresponsive to me, just very small target to hit which is weird but I'm getting adjusted to it.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

I thought that may have been the issue for me too, so I've tried touching it all over, using my entire thumb, etc.

Unfortunately, it's not the problem for me. It just sporadically works.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

So... it's not just the back button, it's also the Cortana/search button that is often unresponsive. The Home button is working fine.

Has anyone ever sent a phone in for repair to Nokia, and if so, how long did it take?

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

I paid for it outright, off contract and no insurance.

Can/will AT&T do anything? I just switched to AT&T and have never bought a phone off contract, so I don't know how this works.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

You might try to find an official At&t repair/service center. If the phone is under warranty and defective in any way, they might just swap it out for you (assuming they have it stocked). When the volume rocker on my 920 broke after 8 months of having it, I went in and they swapped it out no questions asked same day. You might give that a shot if there is one close by....also first try to just exchange it at the shop you got it at.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

You might try to find an official At&t repair/service center. If the phone is under warranty and defective in any way, they might just swap it out for you (assuming they have it stocked). When the volume rocker on my 920 broke after 8 months of having it, I went in and they swapped it out no questions asked same day. You might give that a shot if there is one close by....also first try to just exchange it at the shop you got it at.

Thanks, I'll probably try that but I had to drive 30 miles to an AT&T that actually stocked it.

Lumia Jack

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

I paid for it outright, off contract and no insurance.

Can/will AT&T do anything? I just switched to AT&T and have never bought a phone off contract, so I don't know how this works.
Check your receipt, I believe AT&T has a 14 day return policy on cell phones. So you should be able to do an exchange for another phone.

Nokia/Microsoft also warranties their phones for 1 year. I purchased a Lumia 1520 on release day outright with no contract (Nov 22, 2013), and couple weeks ago I sent it in for a warranty repair without a problem. They even paid for shipping both ways.

You should go the exchange route though, since sending it in for repair will likely take 1-1.5 weeks from when you ship it out until you get it back.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

I actually think this is a good thing. I hate accidentally hitting the buttons. Less responsive is better.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

I actually think this is a good thing. I hate accidentally hitting the buttons. Less responsive is better.

There is a difference between less responsive and non-responsive.

Check your receipt, I believe AT&T has a 14 day return policy on cell phones. So you should be able to do an exchange for another phone.

Nokia/Microsoft also warranties their phones for 1 year. I purchased a Lumia 1520 on release day outright with no contract (Nov 22, 2013), and couple weeks ago I sent it in for a warranty repair without a problem. They even paid for shipping both ways.

You should go the exchange route though, since sending it in for repair will likely take 1-1.5 weeks from when you ship it out until you get it back.

I actually went to the AT&T store last night, by this time the search/Cortana button wasn't working either, turns out that every 830 in the store was reacting the same way... except one of the two demo models.

So, I went home with a new phone that the capacitive buttons 'sometimes' work.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

Hopefully there's a software fix for this...

That would be nice, but I haven't seen anyone else complain about this issue. My suspicion is that this store had a bad batch and the only resolution may be to order one or find one at another store (unfortunately, the closest store with the device in stock is 30+ miles away. So, I may have to drive 50 or more to get one at another store).

Harneet Singh4

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
That would be nice, but I haven't seen anyone else complain about this issue. My suspicion is that this store had a bad batch and the only resolution may be to order one or find one at another store (unfortunately, the closest store with the device in stock is 30+ miles away. So, I may have to drive 50 or more to get one at another store).

No. I have this same issue. I have posted thread here quite a while ago. I think u didnt check. I hav tried soft as well as hard reset, still the issue persists.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

niutu

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site

Guys try to set the screen sensitivity to high, at least for me the back button became more responsive.

neilbey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

I've got this same issue. Mine is with the search button. I have a screen protector on mine that seems to make the issue worse. I'm going to take mine back and exchange to see if it fixes the issue. I will even go as far as testing the demo unit with the screen protector to see if it has the same issue. I will report back today hopefully

jeffy912

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site

My search button isn't working either. I've only had the phone for a day so will try and exchange/return it. Changing the touch sensitivity didn't fix it for me.

Pretty frustrating and disappointing considering Microsoft is trying to win people over.

neilbey

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So I exchanged my phone today. Search button works much better now. I tested the new phone without screen protector first to make sure. They had two demo units there, one was awesome, the other was worse than my original l830. Seems like this is an issue with the digitizer - possibly a bad batch. I will say though, with the screen protector, the button is a little less responsive. I am using a skinomi.

I read on another forum (not related to WP) that if the proximity sensor is blocked, it can cause similar issues; I tested this theory, but it disables all the capacitive buttons, not just one partially.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire