Lumia Icon quick questions

ritojr

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Ive done some research but just want to confirm what I have found about the Icon.

Quick background, my wife and I just switched from TMobile to Verizon. I had the 925 and absolutely loved the phone but where we live Tmobile isnt great and got tired mostly only getting 2g data. Also get a discount at work through Verizon so we made the switch. I picked up the HTC One M8 for Windows and honestly do not care for it so far. I dont like the power button (sits too low, I have a hard time finding it) doesnt have a camera button to quick launch the camera, no glance, just to name a few.

Looking through my options looks like the Icon is my only other choice really for a Windows phone. From what I can gather it launched without Glance capability, is this still an issue? I really like the Glance and dont think I will like any phone that doesnt have it. Looks like the Icon never got the Cyan update and looks like there is a lot of gripe about it. I know it appears as though Glance isnt available, but was hoping maybe I missed something. Also for those who have it, has it been upgraded to 8.1 or will I need to get the Preview for Developers and go that route?

So far really dissapointed with the lack of my options on Verizon. Might just have to stick with the M8 and get the dot case I guess, seems to be the closest way to get something resembling Glance.

Thanks in adavnce

Jon Hemphill

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
As of to date, the Lumia Icon neither has Glance capability or the Cyan & 8.1 updates. Verizon is set to release Cyan & 8.1 sometime this century, so you can go the DP route, but I think VZW has stated that doing so voids the warranty, so beware.

Maybe with the #MoreLumia event tomorrow Microsoft will show a new flagship phone. While I have the Icon and love it and the coverage that VZW has, I'm hoping one of the new phones that will be showing up tomorrow makes it to AT&T. If that happens, and the phone has better specs than the Icon (I'm looking at the camera, and hopefully a SD card slot), then I'm jumping over to AT&T.

Sorry for the rant.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Icon can not get glance with an update because of hardware limitations.
It has pending Cyan+8.1 upgrade, subject to testing and approval by Verizon. This should be released come soon(TM).
You can enjoy WP 8.1 Update 1 features on Icon with Preview of Developer program.

Those are the official statements I have seen about it so far!!

ritojr

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Ok thanks all for confirming my conclusions. Im heading over at lunch to play with the Icon and make the call on switching. Really love the glance feature, too bad I cant get that on any Verizon phone.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Might just have to stick with the M8 and get the dot case I guess, seems to be the closest way to get something resembling Glance.
Thanks in adavnce
I've never had glance, but like the double tap to wake feature on my M8. I find all the info I need on my lock screen, missed calls, next appointment, temps. Weather, nice big clock. All this just a double tap away so not sure what the big deal is not having glance. Have you tried some of the different lock screens out there? Lockmix is very good, has lots of options and there are other good ones as well. Again, I have not experienced glance, but doesn't it wake up the screen by passing your hand over it? What keeps it from waking up all the time when in close proximity to your hand? That would be annoying to me. The double tap wakes the screen when I want to wake it.
Regarding the dot case, be sure and familiarize yourself with the downsides. Doesn't open flush with the phone, makes it hard to type, and some other complaints I've heard about it. I don't think it lives up to its own hype.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I had the 928 and on DP and all my personalized glance. Then I heard the heard Icon was coming out but wanted the 930 and with it being so close to the Icon spec wise and wondered if Verizon was gonna get it. I couldn't wait and got on the edge with the Icon and so far I love it and the size of the screen. The 928 didn't have glance to begins with so going back to no glance was not a big deal. You gonna have to find a running model and see for yourself. I have lockmix and that's a good lock screen app to have.

ritojr

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey cbreze, you are right that is not a huge difference. Guess the change of not having glance is just me being a baby or having a preferance more than anything. The reason I liked glance is that it doesnt fully wake the phone, but instead just launches a quick little view that shows the time and whatever notifications you wanted. I found it easier(especially once you know where the sensor is) to check notifications vs having to click the power button to bring up the lock screen then click again to close. personally on the M8 i hate the button on the top of the phone, much prefer it on the side like most lumias have seen. I find myself gripping the side to push the button on the top and changing volume and taking screenshots. Maybe Ill get used to it. Like you said the double tap to wake is nice, but I find it doesnt work all that well for me (especially when not using my thumb) I also didnt notice the glance to go off inadvertently all that much. Wasnt aware of the lock screen app, I will check it out, thanks

xrs22, thanks for the insight. I went to the store yesterday and played around with the Icon and I def like the feel more. Like you said the 925 (or 928 for that matter) never had glance to begin with so it shouldnt be hard going back. just dont like when I get something new and feel like I have lost features. I do like that it has the wireless charging though as I missed that from my 920. Ill be giving the M8 a few more days, I do love the display. But in reality I feel I'll be switching to the Icon and hope verizon gets something in the WP10 platform next year

drewman77

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The 928 did have Glance after an update last year. I gave up my 928 to get an Icon and I don't miss it anymore. Especially now that I have a Microsoft Band.

ritojr

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
The 928 did have Glance after an update last year. I gave up my 928 to get an Icon and I don't miss it anymore. Especially now that I have a Microsoft Band.

I plan on getting a band too at some point (whenever they are back in stock)

How do you guys find the battery life on the Icon? As much as I have been hating on the m8, I must admit the battery is outstanding. Left work yesterday at 96%, 17 hours later at 87%, granted that included overnight with no use and the fact that I havent been on it a ton (texting, few websites) since then, but thats still impressive.

My 925 was great on battery as well for the most part, but occasionally would have a bad day and just drain out. You guys like the Icon battery life?

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is not bad. If I am not playing games or watching videos, I get about a day and a half. For comparison, with similar usage, I used to get 2 days between charges on my Galaxy Note 2

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
My Icon has been pretty adequate on battery life. Like I said I did one roll back to 8.0 then did the whole DP again and haven't had too many frustrating probs.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I've used the Icon and the M8. If you need good battery life, you will be happy with the M8 and unhappy with the Icon. Also, the M8 has 8.1 and the double-tap it a great added feature over the Icon.

ritojr

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all for the answers.

Although I like the feel/look of the Icon better and the fact that is has wireless charging, I may be sticking with the m8 at this point. All the the bs surrounding the cyan update for the icon is a joke and although I can get 8.1 from DP, i ran into some issues on that with my 925 and may just stick with the m8 since it already has 8.1 I do like the double tap to wake and the battery has been just fantastic so far (42 hours since last charge and still sitting at 49% with few phone calls, texting, some app and internet use, nothing heavy but still...)

Still have a week to decide so I'll mull it some more. Thanks all

drewman77

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I bought some Nokia wireless charging plates when AT&T was having their firesale. I have one at my desk, one in the kitchen, and a stand-up on by my nightstand.

I use the built-in NFC on that last one to trigger the Night Stand Clock app automatically which helps simulate the nighttime Glance feature nicely.

I have gotten into the habit of just dropping my phone off on one of those when not using it. I rarely get below 75% for any given day.

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I use the built-in NFC on that last one to trigger the Night Stand Clock app automatically which helps simulate the nighttime Glance feature nicely.

I have gotten into the habit of just dropping my phone off on one of those when not using it. I rarely get below 75% for any given day.

That's kind of odd. My 822 brings up the glance screen when on the charger. Wonder why the screen memory or whatever wont allow it to function as a glance screen then without being powered.

drewman77

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
He means if it is a power issue, why not at least give us partial Glance ability when charging. Not sure, but probably to not point out to Icon users what they are missing out on. It's the one thing I miss about my 928.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo