Lumia 950 leaks

MS_DOS_3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 940 leaks..

I want something to upgrade to. The 8.1 update knocked out my 1020's camera. 930/1030, whatever, just give me something to upgrade to. Not wasting an upgrade on this "low to mid-range" crap. 1020 was released over a year ago now, and there's been literally nothing released on AT&T to upgrade to.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

When I can run photoshop on my phone, then I'll believe it's really all the same OS. Until then I refuse to buy into the "One Windows" marketing slogan. I agree that both use many of the same components, and that's great, but that is not "the same".

When you can run PhotoShop on your phone, its not a phone. "One windows" means it knows what its running on. Your phone will run what it can as a mobile device, nothing more. Its not just a slogan. Its the same UI on all devices so there's no learning curve. C'mon man. "if it wont run <insert program that requires resources reserved for game machines> its not the same. Ha, funny, looks the same to me.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

^You describe it as though W10 mobile could potentially run desktop software, but just won't because it's not supposed to on a phone. That is NOT how this works. W10 mobile will have about 1/10th the installation footprint of W10, it will run on 512 MB devices which W10 will not, and it won't include any of Win32's features or APIs. That is hugely different. So different that W10 mobile will not run any desktop software of any kind, no matter how trivial it is. At least for me, if it can't run the same software, it's not the same OS.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not calling this a failure in any way. It's the right way to do this. It's just not the exact same version of Windows (or One Windows) running on everything, like many currently believe.

Last edited:

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Desktop software on anything under 10" is pretty pointless as the screen is too small to work effectively. And Motorola already proved there is no market for a dockable desktop phone.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Desktop software on anything under 10" is pretty pointless as the screen is too small to work effectively. And Motorola already proved there is no market for a dockable desktop phone.

same with Asus Padfone
maybe their implementation etc wasnt properly marketed etc
microsoft has the software-hardware divisions advantage ,so does apple
maybe they can get this concept right
*crosses fingers in hope*

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Not necessarily so - imagine if you may, a phone running a new Atom Processor, one that is capable of docking to an external dock with all your peripherals attached to it like it was a desktop computer. Microsoft owns a patent on this very thing:
Microsoft patents smart smartphone dock

Now tell me x86 doesn't make sense in a phone. Especially with the advances in cloud computing, and cloud storage, there is no reason why the power of a desktop computer in your pocket is not that far away. I know you wont be using photoshop, or doing CAD work on a phone - but with a simple hdmi connection, you could be off and running, or with a dock you would have a full PC, IN YOUR POCKET.

Motorola and Asus run Android - literally the same apps your running on your phone. With a dockable Windows device, you have x86 in all its glory. I run some serious software on my Dell Venue 8 Pro - AutoCAD, Sketchup, Photoshop - They run totally fine, no lag at all (depending on the file sizes im working with).

All im saying, is that this would create an entire new market for Microsoft - think about the developing world - Even a cheaper ARM version would be able to run Full WinRT apps on a large display all through the smartphone. Office applications would scale well, IE would scale really well.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

Not necessarily so - imagine if you may, a phone running a new Atom Processor, one that is capable of docking to an external dock with all your peripherals attached to it like it was a desktop computer. Microsoft owns a patent on this very thing:
Microsoft patents smart smartphone dock

Now tell me x86 doesn't make sense in a phone. Especially with the advances in cloud computing, and cloud storage, there is no reason why the power of a desktop computer in your pocket is not that far away. I know you wont be using photoshop, or doing CAD work on a phone - but with a simple hdmi connection, you could be off and running, or with a dock you would have a full PC, IN YOUR POCKET.

Motorola and Asus run Android - literally the same apps your running on your phone. With a dockable Windows device, you have x86 in all its glory. I run some serious software on my Dell Venue 8 Pro - AutoCAD, Sketchup, Photoshop - They run totally fine, no lag at all (depending on the file sizes im working with).

All im saying, is that this would create an entire new market for Microsoft - think about the developing world - Even a cheaper ARM version would be able to run Full WinRT apps on a large display all through the smartphone. Office applications would scale well, IE would scale really well.
It wouldn't be an atom. Intel is actually releasing a new set of processors specifically for smaller devices like phones. They're supposed to be badass but most makes probably wont use them for a while because the snapdragons will probably be $15 cheaper even though the Intel will probably blow it out of the water.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

^You describe it as though W10 mobile could potentially run desktop software, but just won't because it's not supposed to on a phone. That is NOT how this works. W10 mobile will have about 1/10th the installation footprint of W10, it will run on 512 MB devices which W10 will not, and it won't include any of Win32's features or APIs. That is hugely different. So different that W10 mobile will not run any desktop software of any kind, no matter how trivial it is. At least for me, if it can't run the same software, it's not the same OS.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not calling this a failure in any way. It's the right way to do this. It's just not the exact same version of Windows (or One Windows) running on everything, like many currently believe.
It couldn't be. The processing power it would take would render a phablet size battery useable for maybe 1.5 hours.

Fiter Kurniawan

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I just think 940 = 950 or vice versa. Maybe the next high-end or Microsoft phone starting use USB-Type C and big internal Storage 32/64/128 without SD-card expansion. 24 MP rear camera is awesome and possible record video upto 120Fps.

What do you think?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Hard to admit, but I'm not overly impressed with evleaks' latest leaked images of the device -_-. Looks like a mid-tier Lumia at best. Microsoft misses Nokia already. I wanted this phone but I think I might pass. The only thing they did right with this design was having just a Microsoft logo on the back without the word "Microsoft."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3