So what are some cool new things I can do with the 1520 that I couldn't on the 920?

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I just got a 1520 after using a 920 for 2 years. What's some cool things I now have access to that I didn't before? I really wish it had slo-mo video like the new iPhones.

Does anyone know if slow-mo could be added with a software update or would we need new hardware?

Last edited:

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
You can type without fat fingering. I had a 928 which has a similar screen to the 920 and I couldn't type for crap. Typing on the 1520 is much simpler by comparison.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, you can actually take pictures in bright sunlight without being out of focus.

And have fewer dropped calls.

both things 920 was notoriously for.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can you give some examples of things which will be 1520 specific with respect to Denim? You have piqued my curiosity.

"Hey Cortana" passive voice-only activation of the Cortana assistant for one. (The phrase used should be programmable, BTW.) It requires a Snapdragon 800 CPU or above.

MANY of the upcoming Denim benefits revolve around the camera and with the top tier CPU and top tier camera module you will reap a fortune in advancements in imaging that 920 simply will not be able to follow. Full of features: Lumia Denim Update - Lumia Conversations

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
"Hey Cortana" passive voice-only activation of the Cortana assistant for one. (The phrase used should be programmable, BTW.) It requires a Snapdragon 800 CPU or above.

MANY of the upcoming Denim benefits revolve around the camera and with the top tier CPU and top tier camera module you will reap a fortune in advancements in imaging that 920 simply will not be able to follow. Full of features: Lumia Denim Update - Lumia Conversations

Thanks. So changes are specific to specs, but not necessarily to the 1520 in terms of it being a phablet, etc. Am I understanding your meaning properly?

j o e l

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. So changes are specific to specs, but not necessarily to the 1520 in terms of it being a phablet, etc. Am I understanding your meaning properly?

So far, MS/Nokia has not developed anything specific for 1520 to take advantage of its screen size. Not in the way that Samsung has done to the Note, for example. It would be nice if they could snap some apps next to each other, or a landscape home screen, or use a pen similar to surface pro...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

True enough. 1520 is the only device qualified to get every scrap of 8.1.1 + Denim usage. Even though HTC One M8 has a Snapdragon 801 it is disqualified due to Denim being exclusive firmware for Lumias and the 930/Icon is disqualified from Glance features due to hardware limitation on the screen not allowing Glance.

There is no better phone available at this time to leverage the future of Windows on phones. Not until a mythical (as yet) flagship comes out next year will you see a better qualified handset.

i cant understand.. Why not to panic??

It's a joke playing on two facts: the 1520's phenomenal battery life and the 920's lack thereof. My 1520 routinely lasts me 2-3 days and when I do plug in I still have 25%+ battery. It is very hard to use up all the 3400 mAH battery in a normal day. It can be done, but only through heavy tasking.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, a joke :). Well, sort of. I had a 920 for a while and there were times the battery just blasted away for no obvious reason. If I were going somewhere for a day I'd have to make sure a charger was available.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, that was a hypothetical given the 1520's battery and SD card. That said, I think the Video app supports downloads (assuming you're in a country with Xbox Video store). Otherwise, you could rip DVDs and transfer the files to your phone. I've found that MoliPlayer Pro can handle most formats.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Get the DVDs... Use a rip and format program like DVDFab to format the files for your large 1080p screen and enjoy. You have so much storage, don't even worry about it. And the battery won't let you down. My fun little time waster is Frisky Dingo episodes. I have both seasons on my 1520.3 plus music videos, 5 movies and the entire Supertramp Live in Paris film. Lots of music too.

Moliplayer does play everything. Well worth the $3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa