Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm in the market for an unlocked Nokia device. I'm considering the following:

• 1520.3, ~$500
  • 930, ~$530
  • 830, ~$450
  • 735, ~$300

I know, kind of a broad range. What I'm trying to do is decide if the 1520 should simply be removed from my list. I have come very close to pulling the trigger on buying a 1520 but backed off due to "lower end" devices becoming more appealing. The large format of the 1520 is very enticing, and the camera/horsepower of the CPU is hard to beat. I prefer the aesthetics of the 1520 to both the 930 & 830 (don't like the aluminum ring - I don't want an iPhone look-alike - same reason I don't want the HTC M8 - don't need an Android clone), but honestly the 735 seems to have the same aesthetics as the 1520 with the advantage of being able to change colors at whim. And it's getting great reviews - new for $299 unlocked.

But, honestly, should I just ignore the 1520 with the scroll/tap bug not being resolved? I fear having this bug crop up all the time would just ruin the experience and I should simply avoid it. I would be getting the RM-938; I assume it is affected just like the RM-940? Has it been proven otherwise?

Also, on T-Mobile, does the RM-937 or RM-940 work (unlocked), but just limited to 3G HSPA+ speeds? Or does it just not work at all? I'd love the green 1520 but I think it has to be on AT&T.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Bleser

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, this thread makes me want to run far, far away from the 1520. But i just wonder if it is another one of those things where it "seems" everyone has the problem but really only the percentage that do report it and the percentage that don't have no voice.

sklchan

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm just wondering why so many want those low end same price devices while the Lumia 1520 is the only top notch flagship for Windows phone... 😂

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I've had the RM-940 for almost 3 months now and I can count the times I've seen the scroll/tap bug on one hand. I haven't seen any of the other bugs that people have mentioned.

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, this thread makes me want to run far, far away from the 1520. But i just wonder if it is another one of those things where it "seems" everyone has the problem but really only the percentage that do report it and the percentage that don't have no voice.

The problem is that on these forums, you only hear about the times when people have problems with their phones. There is no reason for anybody to jump on a forum and say, "Hey, I've had this phone for a while and haven't had any problems at all."

Bleser

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that on these forums, you only hear about the times when people have problems with their phones. There is no reason for anybody to jump on a forum and say, "Hey, I've had this phone for a while and haven't had any problems at all."

Yep, exactly.

Have there been any thread discussing the bug as it relates to the RM version? i.e. does the RM 937/938/940 matter at all? I imagine not since the only thing that changes with the RM version is the radio frequencies and memory/charging.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm just wondering why so many want those low end same price devices while the Lumia 1520 is the only top notch flagship for Windows phone... ��
Could be they don't want to spend money on features/specs they don't need or want. It would be really dumb to pay more just so you could say its a flagship.

To the OP, I know "Oh Cortana" was one of the reasons I bought a 1520.3. Make sure what you chose does everything you want, including supporting improvements in Denim you want.

sklchan

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Could be they don't want to spend money on features/specs they don't need or want. It would be really dumb to pay more just so you could say its a flagship.

To the OP, I know "Oh Cortana" was one of the reasons I bought a 1520.3. Make sure what you chose does everything you want, including supporting improvements in Denim you want.

But nowadays the Lumia 1520 already drop price so much till not much different from those so call latest released Lumia devices... The Lumia 1520 are future prove until 64 bits processor era...

Bleser

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
But nowadays the Lumia 1520 already drop price so much till not much different from those so call latest released Lumia devices... The Lumia 1520 are future prove until 64 bits processor era...

Yeah, this makes it more difficult. I added basic pricing to my OP to illustrate this. The 930 is actually more expensive than the 1520.3.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Definitely get the 1520.3
It's the only phone in the list that has the complete WP feature set. The other devices don't have all the boxes checked.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
The scroll/tap bug is pretty annoying, but it's only really an issue when browsing. I think it is a hardware engineering flaw, not firmware, and no amount of software can fix it. I think people have different experiences because people handle their phones differently, such as whether they stick it in their pants pocket or in a bag or whatever. My phone is a year old now so it could be that the ones coming into production now have been fixed.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Personally speaking, my experience with the 1520 has not been hampered by the scroll/touch sensitivity too much. Early on I realized that you have to be more forceful than you might think in order to get the screen to respond appropriately. Certainly more forceful than if you would were using an iPhone. You need to be a bit ham-fisted with this device!

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Never experienced any of the stated problems on my side.

Good to hear this. We have people on this site claiming to have had up to seven different phones, all of which have had problems. The same thing shows up on the Nokia forums. It certainly comes across as if problems are pretty widespread.

Senrir

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Good to hear this. We have people on this site claiming to have had up to seven different phones, all of which have had problems. The same thing shows up on the Nokia forums. It certainly comes across as if problems are pretty widespread.

Yeh but we have to remember that it is our mentality to react when something is wrong than when something is right :). Maybe that's why there are huge number of reports saying that their device has this bug than those who don't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss