Status of Cyan update changed to "Under Development"

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Until the author of that quote comes up with names and dates, all it amounts to is yet another unsubstantiated rumor (being polite). Without such it means absolutely nothing. Seriously, does anyone really think someone at Nokia, which is no longer the responsible company anyway, is going to tell a person stuff that would be posted in a forum and get them fired? The under development part is true. As for why, that is an unknown. Personally though, in spite of all the whining here, if a company that has NOT been late on the previous updates and is very late this time has pushed the update back to Microsoft, and also happens to use different network hardware, I would be inclined to think that perhaps there might really be a problem with the update. Of course, if people would just prefer to throw tantrums, go right ahead. I am sure VZW and Microsoft are lurking here waiting to read the next "VZW is evil/I am leaving" post. Yes, that was sarcasm....

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
the problem with the theory about it being some showstopper bug holding back the release is that this is nothing new, Verizon has delayed releases in the past to make sure their bloat-ware is front and center on their phones, the only new thing this time imho is the low WP priority + bloat-ware concerns = a much longer than usual delay

I was in the soak test program for Motorola devices for @4 years when I used droid on Verizon, we would have the updates for weeks/months working flawlessly with no problems and ppl started asking why no OTA release

we were all under a NDA in the soak test program so we could never really discuss the problem with the OTA release outside of those feedback forums but the news we would get from Motorola about the delay with the OTA usually had to do with Verizon's concerns about their bloat-ware, they didn't like us being able to uninstall or even having the ability to hide it were sticking points that had to be addressed with Verizon until they would sign off on the OTA

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Until the author of that quote comes up with names and dates, all it amounts to is yet another unsubstantiated rumor (being polite). Without such it means absolutely nothing.

If Daniel Rubino says that he has independent sources that confirm the news, i'm inclined to believe him:

Windows Central has been able to confirm independently through sources that this is indeed the holdup for Lumia Cyan on Verizon.

I trust Rubino & Windows Central to determine what is "unsubstantiated" and what isn't. I do have a hard time believing that the hold up is that the Firmware doesn't work well with Verizon's apps. I don't have a hard time believing that Verizon is throwing their weight around to force Microsoft to bake more of Verizon's crap into the OS. See "Back Up Assistant Plus" - Verizon's crappy contacts back up that hardly works and is unnecessary on all Windows Phones. It wasn't forced onto our phones until WP8.

Personally though, in spite of all the whining here, if a company that has NOT been late on the previous updates and is very late this time has pushed the update back to Microsoft, and also happens to use different network hardware, I would be inclined to think that perhaps there might really be a problem with the update.

Caps for emphasis because it's blindingly obvious yet you keep ignoring it for some reason. EVERY OTHER CARRIER HAS RELEASED WP8.1/CYAN. Do you get it? CDMA or GSM - Every carrier has released it. Verizon is the single most profitable Carrier in the world. And they're last to deliver the update that even the smallest of carriers have delivered. But this is obviously Microsoft's fault...

Okay...

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
^ Pretty much this.....Only would add that it is also all of the Nokia line on Verizon as well, not just the Icon. This is high level gamesmanship: Verizon is using the Nokia buyout to extract concessions/ a new contract with Microsoft Mobile. The Cyan update was just the first/best opportunity to do so.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Apps get updated to suit firmware, not the other way around. This on top of the fact that nobody uses VZ's sh!tty apps that they want baked in to make it more like Android bloatware.

It's like Verizon WANTS me to jump back to Android or iOS.
Fixed.

@Verizonwireless @VZWSupport
Have your voice heard.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If development is a person and a girl (you used she) then she isn't blocking it its in her as in inside her. So I guess that means that someone needs to take it out of her. That sounds like fun.

Interesting, as the ones in Canada still say under testing. I just wanna know who development is and if she can move out of the way so the update can freely move from under her.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Verizon not Microsoft. Keep in mind that Verizon is now the only carrier in the US holding the update back. Also keep in mind that Verizon has 100% control over all firmware on their network. They have the power to block updates if they didn't mind getting sued for breach of contract with apple. Unfortunately only apple has this agreement with them. Also keep in mind they pull the same BS with android phones as well. Verizon is frequently last for updates if they occur at all.

It's like Microsoft WANTS me to jump back to Android or iOS.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
This is 100% Verizon. Its their crappy CDMA network that gives them total control over the firmware running on their network. Microsoft, Samsung, and even apple are all powerless if Verizon tells any of them to get lost. Fortunately for apple they are in demand enough that apple was able to bully them into signing an agreement to universally approve all updates immediately without any interference. Microsoft doesn't have enough power in the mobile scene for that. Samsung probably could at this point, but they haven't tried.

It would make sense if these developments were taking place in April or June at the latest. It's simply outrageous the snails pace that Microsoft and Verizon are operating on. Yeah, I guess it sucks that I guess Verizon wants their **** to work, or whatever their real reason is, but Microsoft has to ******* play ball by their rules, and do it with some ******* urgency.

Jesus Christ, failure in every sense of the word on Microsoft.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
That's Sprint actually. I had the HTC Arrive and it was retired without a replacement. It was about 6 months after I switched to Verizon for the 928 that Sprint got their two crappy non Nokia Windows Phones.

They do, I did this weekend. Was away from Android for far to long. WP isnt changing overnight and they have alot of changing to do. Didnt VZW drop WP's at one point? Wonder if they are trying to do the same thing again. Tell you the truth I dont remember seeing any WP on display at the VZW store I went to. If they had any they were hiding them or something.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Verizon's response - "OK you're not happy with us? Well we won't carry ANY Windows Phones anymore ever again. And because we use our inferior CDMA technology you're powerless to stop us"

This seems like a subtle way for Microsoft to point the finger back at Verizon without violating any contracts or NDAs and it makes perfect sense. They put their own bloatware above everything else and lie about it every day to users. It's disgusting and shortsighted. They want Microsoft to hack perfectly working firmware in order to make their own apps work "perfectly" instead of updating them themselves to work with the new firmware.

mikeyyyownz

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately this has made me decide on a switch. I love my taste of WP8.1, but Verizon is the suck with it. I can't leave, as service is amazing and I just Edged Up my wife to a new iPhone a little over a month ago. Nexus 6 here I come.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately this has made me decide on a switch. I love my taste of WP8.1, but Verizon is the suck with it. I can't leave, as service is amazing and I just Edged Up my wife to a new iPhone a little over a month ago. Nexus 6 here I come.

I'll leave Verizon before I ever leave Windows Phone.

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Garbage like this is why I left Verizon last year after being with them for 10+ years. Now I'm paying less than half what I was on Cricket and the coverage is more than sufficient (and I'm able to use GSM phones and updates come at a reasonable pace).

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Here in Miami nobody can touch VZW or ATT. My dad had T-Mobile and my brother has Sprint. They are both garbage and the price is about the same. Its not like your saving 30-50 bucks a month. As it is VZW has more coverage then ATT, in Miami. To me coverage, as a whole is more important than some update. I understand everybodys frustration but I had the Icon and switched to the HTC. I didnt see a big difference from 8.0-8.1. Its still behind Android/IOS. They need to dump their whole OS and start from fresh. Also they need to look at what makes Android/IOS so popular.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Here in Miami nobody can touch VZW or ATT. My dad had T-Mobile and my brother has Sprint. They are both garbage and the price is about the same. Its not like your saving 30-50 bucks a month. As it is VZW has more coverage then ATT, in Miami. To me coverage, as a whole is more important than some update. I understand everybodys frustration but I had the Icon and switched to the HTC. I didnt see a big difference from 8.0-8.1. Its still behind Android/IOS. They need to dump their whole OS and start from fresh. Also they need to look at what makes Android/IOS so popular.

How exactly is Windows Phone behind Android/iOS? My Icon can do the same tasks that both of those phones can. And dump the whole OS, that makes no sense. There is nothing wrong with the OS. How do we get from Verizon not wanting to release firmware to Microsoft needing to dump the whole OS and start over for the third time? Any OS you run on your phone will be held hostage by Verizon's network, unless your name is Apple. Even Android phones and tablets do not get timely updates, and in many cases they don't get any at all on the Verizon network. As far as switching from the Icon to the HTC, good luck getting firmware updates from HTC.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Since you are unable to leave Verizon because of Edging up your wife's phone, how are you going to get the Nexus 6 to work on Verizon? It won't work on Verizon's CDMA network. Verizon hasn't had a Nexus device since the Galaxy Nexus two years ago.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Since you are unable to leave Verizon because of Edging up your wife's phone, how are you going to get the Nexus 6 to work on Verizon? It won't work on Verizon's CDMA network. Verizon hasn't had a Nexus device since the Galaxy Nexus two years ago.

Allegedly, there is a CDMA version that is supposed to get released on Verizon, not sure if they have released a launch date. But like everything else on Verizon, it will get released 6 months after everyone else. What I can't figure out is you love WP8.1, but because Verizon sucks you will switch to Android on Verizon. Apparently, Verizon doesn't suck on Android. I just can't figure out the logic between switching phones because the carrier sucks, but you stay with the same carrier.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Oh, Verizon sucks just as bad with Android updates too. I had a Galaxy Nexus, and I loved the straight Android experience. But, Verizon was the last to update its Nexus. Even Sprint (who got the Nexus months after Verizon) updated it quicker than VZW.

The lure of the Nexus phones is that all updates come DIRECTLY from Google just like iPhones. The problem was because Verizon and Sprint are CDMA, all updates came from them. The angst you see here with Verizon and WP8.1/Cyan is the same angst I saw with Verizon and Jelly Bean for the Galaxy Nexus.

So if mikeyyyownz thinks his Verizon Nexus 6 will get quick updates, he's got another thing coming. Sorry mikeyyyownz, that's coming from personal experience being a previous Nexus owner on Verizon, I'm not trying to be sarcastic.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Oh, Verizon sucks just as bad with Android updates too. I had a Galaxy Nexus, and I loved the straight Android experience. But, Verizon was the last to update its Nexus. Even Sprint (who got the Nexus months after Verizon) updated it quicker than VZW.

The lure of the Nexus phones is that all updates come DIRECTLY from Google just like iPhones. The problem was because Verizon and Sprint are CDMA, all updates came from them. The angst you see here with Verizon and WP8.1/Cyan is the same angst I saw with Verizon and Jelly Bean for the Galaxy Nexus.

So if mikeyyyownz thinks his Verizon Nexus 6 will get quick updates, he's got another thing coming. Sorry mikeyyyownz, that's coming from personal experience being a previous Nexus owner on Verizon, I'm not trying to be sarcastic.

This quote needs to come with some heavy context. Mainly the fact that Google wanted control of updates for its Nexus line and Verizon would not slow such things. Hence why your updates were slow. I don't know what is in store for the Nexus 6 on Verizon but generally for me Verizon was always pretty good with updates.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Allegedly, there is a CDMA version that is supposed to get released on Verizon, not sure if they have released a launch date. But like everything else on Verizon, it will get released 6 months after everyone else. What I can't figure out is you love WP8.1, but because Verizon sucks you will switch to Android on Verizon. Apparently, Verizon doesn't suck on Android. I just can't figure out the logic between switching phones because the carrier sucks, but you stay with the same carrier.
You have part of this correct. The Nexus 6 works on all carriers. The US version has all the CDMA and GSM bands to be fully functional, with LTE, on AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, and US Cellular. The details on how Verizon will handle it are not yet fully known, but it is known that you can take the Play Store version, put a Verizon SIM card in it, and get full Verizon service with LTE.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12