Status of Cyan update changed to "Under Development"

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The discussion was not meant to turn into Android phones. Was just trying to point out that update issues that we are experiencing are not specific to only Windows Phone. It is a Verizon issue. I apologize if i caused the thread to go off track. That was not my intent.

mikeyyyownz

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Verizon sucks in regards to supporting WP. My Icon gets retired less than a year after release, and now they downgrade the Cyan update. To me, that sucks.

As a previous posted mentioned, I live in South FL. Verizon service is perfect down here so I'm unwilling to switch carriers. Plus, I edged my Icon, my wife's IPhone, and have two tablets. I'm not paying a grand in termination fees to go to an inferior service. I rather switch phones and get something that will be supported instead of clinging to a phone that VZW couldn't care less about supporting or updating. I love the specs of the Nexus and stock Android, so that's my choice.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This quote needs to come with some heavy context. Mainly the fact that Google wanted control of updates for its Nexus line and Verizon would not slow such things. Hence why your updates were slow. I don't know what is in store for the Nexus 6 on Verizon but generally for me Verizon was always pretty good with updates.

This article explains it pretty darn well.

Why Android Updates Are So Slow

Brenda Smeby

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I am in the same boat with 5 smart phone lines and 3 tablets. I edged up for my Icon so I cant even change phones. I opted for a new Galaxy S tablet so I feel like I have the best of both worlds now. I still live my Icon too much to dump it anyway.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
How exactly is Windows Phone behind Android/iOS? My Icon can do the same tasks that both of those phones can. And dump the whole OS, that makes no sense. There is nothing wrong with the OS. How do we get from Verizon not wanting to release firmware to Microsoft needing to dump the whole OS and start over for the third time? Any OS you run on your phone will be held hostage by Verizon's network, unless your name is Apple. Even Android phones and tablets do not get timely updates, and in many cases they don't get any at all on the Verizon network. As far as switching from the Icon to the HTC, good luck getting firmware updates from HTC.

My first droid can probably do what my Icon or HTC can do also, doesnt mean it does it better. VZW not wanting to release software is not something new to anyone so why all the fuss, I dont know. VZW has been doing this for years.Yes they need to dump their OS. For instance, in 8.0 you could go to your phone dialer, go to contacts and see all the info of a contact. Now in 8.1 if you got to contacts and you press on it, it calls the person. Now you have to go to people icon to see all the info on a contact, I call that a$$ backwards. If I am on a call and have to look for a number, I now have to back out of the dialer to the home screen, swipe over and go to people just to get info on a contact. Still no quick dial on dialer like Android. IE is garbage, Period. Apps are half baked. On Android, if you are on the internet lets say and a text comes in, a small separate window opens on top of the browser. You can choose to ignore it, read it and reply back, all this without having to leave the browser. There are a lot of software features that Android /IOS have that have that WP still doesnt and wont have anytime soon. So yes they need to dump the whole OS and start new.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Verizon sucks in regards to supporting WP. My Icon gets retired less than a year after release, and now they downgrade the Cyan update. To me, that sucks.

As a previous posted mentioned, I live in South FL. Verizon service is perfect down here so I'm unwilling to switch carriers. Plus, I edged my Icon, my wife's IPhone, and have two tablets. I'm not paying a grand in termination fees to go to an inferior service. I rather switch phones and get something that will be supported instead of clinging to a phone that VZW couldn't care less about supporting or updating. I love the specs of the Nexus and stock Android, so that's my choice.

I agree 100%. I am not leaving VZW's perfect coverage to T-Mobile or Sprint(which suck in Miami) just to get an update on a phone that most people wont have in a year or two. I just Edged up my HTC to a LG G3 and i can tell you WP has alot of catching up to do. Kit Kat OS has come along way and Lollipop is already being realesed to LG G3 phones.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Android or WP it doesn't matter. Verizon sucks. The only exceptions are the iphone and phones that never update in the first place(dumbphones).

So it sucks because you dont have an update. I will take the best coverage (here in miami at least) over a update. What good is a phone with the latest OS, Hardware, Software, if you are dropping calls or cannt access the internet.

kloar

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I installed the DP back during the Summer. It was great at first, but I gradually had more issues come up, such as the phone running hot, battery drain, taking several seconds to wake up, occasionally freezing, etc.

My phone died on me in late August. I am doubtful it had anything to do with the DP, it was a hardware issue. Verizon sent me a replacement via the warranty. At that point, I didn't reinstall the DP because I thought we were close to getting 8.1/Cyan via Verizon. In fact I keep holding off installing DP because I always thought we were "only a week or two" from receiving it from Verizon and due to my previous issues, it was worth waiting.

Well, this "under development" downgrade just crushed my hopes that it's "only a week or two" away. My question is this. Have the recent updates to DP, such as what was released this week, made it more stable? I'm ready to pull the trigger and reinstall DP, but the issues I had were more than just a nuisance.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Android or WP it doesn't matter. Verizon sucks. The only exceptions are the iphone and phones that never update in the first place(dumbphones).

And of course what happened when Apple pushed out iOS v8... Oh yeah... it caused a whole lot of peoples' phones to not work properly. So how well did Apple truly test its software? Hmmm...

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/24/apple-pulls-software-update-after-iphone-problems/?_r=0

This is NOT the first time this has happened. In fact it happened with the iOS 6 and 7 updates.

When has an Android or WP update caused any major problems? When Verizon finally pushed out Jelly Bean, it worked no major problems. When it pushed out the GDR2/Black Update for WP, it worked, no major issues. So, people can complain about how Apple devices get updates in a "timely" manner, but forget that the past three major OS updates for iOS were severely flawed and caused Apple to spend a whole lot of time and money to fix them.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I switched to AT&T and have a 1520.3 with Cyan. Its a tad slower at work. Its MASSIVELY faster at home. I think that is a good trade.

So it sucks because you dont have an update. I will take the best coverage (here in miami at least) over a update. What good is a phone with the latest OS, Hardware, Software, if you are dropping calls or cannt access the internet.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
That had nothing to do with Verizon as it was a universal issue. Apple and Verizon have an agreement that Verizon must approve everything Apple sends them even if it doesn't work. Personally I think its a better update method. The problem both arose and got solved in a very short amount of time. Also in the duration of the problem people were given instructions on how to solve the problem with a temporary solution. I only wish that Microsoft/Nokia could get the same agreement.

And of course what happened when Apple pushed out iOS v8... Oh yeah... it caused a whole lot of peoples' phones to not work properly. So how well did Apple truly test its software? Hmmm...

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/24/apple-pulls-software-update-after-iphone-problems/?_r=0

This is NOT the first time this has happened. In fact it happened with the iOS 6 and 7 updates.

When has an Android or WP update caused any major problems? When Verizon finally pushed out Jelly Bean, it worked no major problems. When it pushed out the GDR2/Black Update for WP, it worked, no major issues. So, people can complain about how Apple devices get updates in a "timely" manner, but forget that the past three major OS updates for iOS were severely flawed and caused Apple to spend a whole lot of time and money to fix them.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
That had nothing to do with Verizon as it was a universal issue. Apple and Verizon have an agreement that Verizon must approve everything Apple sends them even if it doesn't work. Personally I think its a better update method. The problem both arose and got solved in a very short amount of time. Also in the duration of the problem people were given instructions on how to solve the problem with a temporary solution. I only wish that Microsoft/Nokia could get the same agreement.

Did you NOT read this article?

Why Android Updates Are So Slow

"But Apple Is So Much Faster!

This is one of the greatest illusions in the tech game. Apple announces the new version of iOS, and wham! You can download it on your phone within a day or two. How did Apple manage to skip that exhaustive carrier-testing that everyone else had to go through? It didn't. It had to jump through the same hoops as the Android manufacturers; the only difference is that Apple jumped through them before it announced the update.

Sprint's Ryan Sullivan explains:

"I don't think that Apple is necessarily any faster, I think it just appears faster because when they're announcing the OS release, they're launching it. A lot of that is just because they control the platform stack, but they have the same group of people who are working continuously on the network integration pieces for their 250 wireless carriers across the world. So, while Google is announcing the software when it's done at the platform-level only, and then they allow OEMs access to it so that they can build that network integration layer. It appears that Google and the Android process takes much longer. It doesn't. Google just takes it half way, and then it's up to the manufacturers and carriers to take it the rest of the way so that it will work on a network.... I think the overall cycle from start to finish is relatively similar between iOS and Android, it's just the point at which the platform is announced."​

Apple also has an edge here because it not only makes the operating system but also builds the hardware. The narrower portfolio of device components that are used means adapting the OS to the existing hardware (all of which is done in-house) is a faster, more seamless process. This is also why Nexus devices are first in line; Google works closely with its chosen hardware manufacturer to go with the new version of Android, and then it works with the wireless carriers to make sure everything is tested and ready to go ahead of the announcement. That only works at launch, though; older Nexus devices will still have to go through carrier certifications just like everything else when a new OS update comes in."

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It was the 8.0.1 update that jacked up the phones. Once Apple started getting phone calls, they probably called Verizon (and the other carriers) and said, "Hey! We eff'd up, and need to fix a few things. Here are the list of fixes, none of them affect your network. Please approve."

Since the major issues were not affecting the network and primarily only affected iPhone 6, The carriers probably said, "Sure no problem! We want our customers to be able to use their phones."

It's that whole prioritization thing. The carriers didn't want people bringing their brand spanking new AND expensive iPhone 6's back for replacement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18