Why I will not be buying a WIndows phone next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

martindotporter

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I got myself a Lumia 520 a year ago. It was essentially my first smartphone; it was very reasonably priced and In the main I have been mightily impressed especially by the little unexpected surprises like the very serviceable satnav "Drive" (by why is the Maps app so poor?). The camera is impressive in good light and apart from the weird wobbly windows tile thing it works like a dream. For my mind though there is one great big hairy omission. I regard the alarm as absolutely vital - I charge the phone most nights at the bedside and this also gives me an alarm and an illuminated clock. As part of my nightly ritual I have to silence the 'phone before plugging in the charge lead. I count 5 actions in order to do this - it is incredibly clumsy and unbelievably the last big winphone update made it even more cumbersome! In this day and age it is just unacceptable. Learn from the masters - the iphone has a silence button (single press) and / or a schedule facility so I can set my phone to be silent between the hours of, say, midnight and 7 am every day. Simples! (and please don't tell me I have to spend ?nnn on a lumia X to get a proper grown up silencing facility).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
To each their own. I personally still use an alarm clock but I know that people love to use their phones for everything.

I'm sure the 'don't let the door hit you' comments will be coming.

There's many reasons to leave WP. So by all means, try other platforms out.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
i am unable to control my laughter seeing that people are so smart to use smartphone (rather leaving smartphone) because alarm is not as per their wish.
anyways, it's ur way with ur phone. nobody can do anything.
if u feel iphone's silence button is a deal changer, go on. u will be spending something around 7-8 times as compared to 520. telling u this because u had said nobody should suggest u to spend money on a better phone. i would rather suggest u to spend on some decent alarm clock.
always remember "do not compare someone's chapter 1 to other's chapter 20".
further, u must be living in stone age as u r not updated yet. 520 does require 2 steps (one volume key press and one screen touch) to be silent as per the update 8.1, in fact no keys at all (depends in ur location). u can just say, hey cortana, set alarm for 6 am.
further, i find nokia maps are quite well. u may like google maps more, offline maps in my lumia are quite well u know.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
1. Here map/drive are way better than Google maps!
2. Have you ever heard of Cortana and Quiet Hours?

I sometimes feel folks just want to pass their time by ranting WP for no reasons😃

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
1. Here map/drive are way better than Google maps!
2. Have you ever heard of Cortana and Quiet Hours?

I sometimes feel folks just want to pass their time by ranting WP for no reasons��

Here Maps better than Google Maps? Please don't me make me laugh when I'm at work.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i am unable to control my laughter seeing that people are so smart to use smartphone (rather leaving smartphone) because alarm is not as per their wish.
anyways, it's ur way with ur phone. nobody can do anything.
if u feel iphone's silence button is a deal changer, go on. u will be spending something around 7-8 times as compared to 520. telling u this because u had said nobody should suggest u to spend money on a better phone. i would rather suggest u to spend on some decent alarm clock.
always remember "do not compare someone's chapter 1 to other's chapter 20".
further, u must be living in stone age as u r not updated yet. 520 does require 2 steps (one volume key press and one screen touch) to be silent as per the update 8.1, in fact no keys at all (depends in ur location). u can just say, hey cortana, set alarm for 6 am.
further, i find nokia maps are quite well. u may like google maps more, offline maps in my lumia are quite well u know.

How about following some rules of grammar and reading the forum rules so that people can actually read your rant?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So, you should have thought the same before laughing at my comment. Here drive is my daily driver and its way better than google maps in my city. Hope that clarifies.

I'm glad in your personal world that HERE Maps works for you better than Google Maps. For those countries where HERE doesn't even exist or is poorly implemented, I guess they'll just keep using Google then.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
So, you should have thought the same before laughing at my comment. Here drive is my daily driver and its way better than google maps in my city. Hope that clarifies.

besting Google maps like winning a foot race with a tree.

sure youve won, but youre still an amature high fiving yourself.

step into the real competition, and see how far behind they really are.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
besting Google maps like winning a foot race with a tree.

sure youve won, but youre still an amature high fiving yourself.

step into the real competition, and see how far behind they really are.

Because GMaps are found on more devices because of simple numbers doesn't make it the better app. If Here Maps is found to be better for usage depends on where it's used then that's that case closed. Just as there are IOS,ANDROID AND WP die-hard users they all have their preferences. So in the end NO particular user base can say that one app is better than the other especially when the person you're talking to have used both and found one to be to their liking more than the other.

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok so we went from Alarms to Maps... First, as others have mentioned in different ways, if you don't like it, then leave it. I find it funny that you base your opinions on only your experience with the L520, which is a nice but low-tier phone. Compare the iPhone 4 with the Lumia Icon and see which one comes on top, or compare the Lumia 1520 with some cheap Android phablet. Let me know then. This is very subjective, so if you don't want WP, then go. Nobody is holding you. Some (like me) actually like the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb