Lumia 925 to Lumia 830?

LordGreylock

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I had a 925 and really liked it. I ended up selling it and using an iPhone temporarily, anyway I bought my 830 from AT&T this week. It's a very capable phone and I find the performance is similar to my 925, though I'm not gaming or anything like that.

If anything it just feels like a lateral move, not a huge upgrade. I've only had the 830 for the past few days so I really haven't had a lot of time to compare it. Personally I prefer the 830 to my 925 only because I like the size, design and the wireless charging built-in.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I just want to point out one thing as I was considering both these devices for me too. Here's what i found out..the 925, as mentioned, doesn't have SD CARD slot. Then, the 830, has aluminium frame that HEATS up like hell. (It's worse in 930) and this was a deal breaker for me. If this wasn't enough, the 730 has the SAME internals as the 830, and comes with an AMOLED screen and clear black technology. It is also lighter and crisper resolution. And the best part? IT'S HALF THE PRICE of the 830!

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from a 925 to a 930, and a part of me wishes I hadn't bothered.
The difference between the 2 isn't as large as you'd expect and the 925 is one of the best Lumias to hold and look at.
If you're happy with your 925 I'd keep it till some of the Windows 10 devices come out.
I'm realising that upgrading from one years model to the next isn't really worth it, you're better off waiting 2 years and then there'll be a bigger improvement between new and old.

And as you say the 830 is more of a 'sidegrade' so I'd expect the difference to be even less.

(for the more argumentative readers, the above is my own personal opinion)

Iina the Magnet

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Surely you've had a bad experience/faulty device? Most reviews mention how cool the phone runs and 99% of people here in wcentral forums also compliments the 830 on it.

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I think I have used 925 pretty much about a year and a half..I couldn't select the right phone to upgrade since up to now there is no device which is successor to 925...
I think in future MS should make a phone with the below internals
Body - Lumia 925
Screen - 5 inches
Camera - 10 or 20 mp or whatever
Processor - Snapdragon 800 series
ram - 2gb
battery - 3300mah
SD card - Yes...

I hope MS release a phone with Lumia 925 body but with better specs ..

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I went from a 925 to 830 prototype to 830 AT&T and I am quite pleased with the latest & greatest. I agree with most it is more of a lateral move as far as specifications aside from the add external memory, but from a form-factor and quality of build it feels like an upgrade. On both the 830's I have and the one my gf has the aluminum frame never really heats up, it actually does the opposite when it's exposed to colder temperatures -- it gets pretty cold. Also to note I flashed the prototype to Denim and the official one has it on there, so you also get that right off the bat with some added features.

edoug

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I just did the same and notice something new: The microphone from my apple headphones now works. The volume controls don't, bit the microphone is a huge leap forward for me! I haven't unplugged yet to see if it works multiple times but as I just found out a couple minutes ago I ran here to see if anyone else had picked up on this

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I had the phone for almost a week now (including my wife who plays some light weight games as well). Never had a problem with overheating to this point. I would not try to generalize my own experience with the 830.....
I didn't generalize..I only made him aware of the issue LOTS of people are facing. It's even on Nokia forums.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I didn't generalize..I only made him aware of the issue LOTS of people are facing. It's even on Nokia forums.

Not to get into a back and forth, but I would have to agree with @edoug. Between myself and a few others that have variants of the 830, non seem to have experienced any heating issues with the frame. Nor have I really heard of any problems until this thread. And if it is a problem, there is no way of really knowing if it is a majority or minority issue. If most people with 830's aren't experiencing any heating problems, you aren't going to hear from some to most of them. @X0LARIUM, if this is a serious concern you should link PachecoCorporationCe to all of those complaints providing him/her more info to make a better decision.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
no heating on the frame here too! EXCEPT when the phone is charging, but I guess that is expected since any phone does heat up when charging

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
If your 830
HEATS up like hell
then you obviously have a defective phone or something else is going on.
No one has reported massive heating problems with the 830. The 930, on the other hand, has a large and widespread heating problem, many people reporting that.
I had a 930 for about 10 days and returned it. IT got extremely hot and battery life was the pits.
No problem at all with the 830 that I've had for a couple of months not.

:)
Fred

I just want to point out one thing as I was considering both these devices for me too. Here's what i found out..the 925, as mentioned, doesn't have SD CARD slot. Then, the 830, has aluminium frame that HEATS up like hell. (It's worse in 930) and this was a deal breaker for me. If this wasn't enough, the 730 has the SAME internals as the 830, and comes with an AMOLED screen and clear black technology. It is also lighter and crisper resolution. And the best part? IT'S HALF THE PRICE of the 830!

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
5b8f4037aeb74a6bd3090d99fec9370f.jpg

wmpoweruser.com/a-day-with-the-nokia-lumia-830-the-good-the-bad-and-the-issues-we-faced/

2e8e28c310c9658ff3d8d43242314d16.jpg

www.techtoyreviews.com/lumia-830-full-review/

f8f0aa556887b6c43a445fb6d59aba6a.jpg

m.snapdeal.com/product/nokia-lumia-830-orange/131120339

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb