Lumia Denim update & Lumia Camera 5 ready to roll-out for some Device / Region combinations

anon(9174535)

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
As per the latest info from our sources Lumia Denim update and Lumia Camera 5 (version 5.0) are ready to roll-out for some specific device-region combinations. While we don?t have exact details of the devices and regions it will roll-out first, our sources speculate Lumia 830 and Lumia 930 may get it first followed by Lumia 1520.

Lumia Denim update is officially mentioned coming in Q4, but our sources have hinted at a early second half of November timeline for the start of update roll-out. Now, with the latest info, it seem the update may start rolling out any time soon. The whole update schedule stretches to 2 months, though.

The Lumia Camera 5 will be the latest version of Lumia Camera and will bring Moment capture, Dynamic flash, 4K video, Auto HDR meant for Lumia 930, Lumia 1520, Lumia Icon and Lumia 830. Lumia 830, however can?t record 4K videos but does Moment Capture in Full HD, and with reduced 2-megapixel per frame quality.

Lumia Denim update brings goodies from both Windows Phone 8.1 update 1 and Lumia Denim Firmware update in one. Read all about Lumia Denim and Windows Phone 8.1 GDR1 changes at our dedicated page.
From NPU

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
re:

"From NPU"

From what I have read there, there are either just really bad at speculation, or hired a "insider" that just don't know anything. Most of the articles they wrote aims to claim that they know a lot. And they post all sorts of random things, and commentors there bash Daniel Rubino btw. Like they said that GDR 2 was going to be released in early October I think (if my memory serves me well), and I don't think I see it yet.

Remember there was once a "picture" of a phone running "Lumia Emerald". Go read their post, Yes, it?s Lumia Emerald & we told this on September 6. When you can expect Lumia Emerald roll-out | NPU. Haha. Ha.

Just take everything there with a sack of salt.

When a leak hits, you see interesting reactions: Sour Grapes vs Whiners vs Enthusiasts! | NPU
^For your reading pleasure.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
re:

I dont understand this whole camera thing. I think that probably 80-90%, maybe even more, only use the camera on these phones to take a pics and post it on some media site. Why is the camera always a selling point? It not like I am going to use my phone to take pictures that are important to me. I use it to take spur of the moment pics. Besides most cameras on high end phones are good enough already. Reminds me of the parents I saw at their daughters dance recital filming it with a IPad. Really, something so memorable and your going to use a tablet.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
re:

I dont understand this whole camera thing. I think that probably 80-90%, maybe even more, only use the camera on these phones to take a pics and post it on some media site. Why is the camera always a selling point? It not like I am going to use my phone to take pictures that are important to me. I use it to take spur of the moment pics. Besides most cameras on high end phones are good enough already. Reminds me of the parents I saw at their daughters dance recital filming it with a IPad. Really, something so memorable and your going to use a tablet.

I definitely use my Icon to take photos and videos for things I want to remember. I have the equivalent of a low end DSLR in my pocket at all times. The quality is just fine. And I don't have the inconvenience of carrying around an actual camera.

The Lumia camera is a MAJOR selling point.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah....the camera is pretty much what brought me to the Lumia fold. My old Sony Digital 8 camcorder has not seen the light of day since I picked up my original 928. The Icon is even better at video.

The only reason I pull out my DSLR any more is shooting birds with its tele zoom settings.

But yeah, the folks iPads for photos/videos - just no. It's like having a "Kick Me" sign stuck on your back while you're walking around trailing TP from your shoes....

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

I agree with the tablet part... How awkward is that to handle and how sub-par are the pics due to the fumbling with an oversized device?

However... I never post to social media. I really don't care who does or doesn't but 80-90% use of camera on a phone goes to that?

Making up statistics does not make your point true or valid. Adding a number and a percent you just arbitrarily typed into your post does not make the statement any less a personal opinion. Got any hard statistics from a published source? Where is the link?

Let me disagree some more and state emphatically that this is just my personal experience. Cameras on phones have come a long way. In the past ten years I've owned 3 different digital cameras, each more powerful and feature rich than the last. I've stopped short of a Digital SLR for a few reasons. However, having owned a very nice Film SLR in the past, I can say these "point and shoot" options are very good unless you are a pro or a heavy-use amateur.

I'm done buying cameras. I don't need one any longer. My last two phones have out done them.

I'm now using a Lumia 1520. I just spent 32 days in Italy.I brought home almost 2800 pictures and videos and that after nightly culling out rejects. Over 2700 high resolution 16MP photos that can be edited post shot and cropped in for detail without loosing clarity. All from the convenience of my phone which navigated for me, performed internet searches and served as a communication device along the whole way. Something I needed to carry anyway. Why would I need to carry a camera? My current stand-alone camera is a 12MP shooter. The ONLY thing it offers me that my phone does not is 10 meters of water resistance and 5' drop resistance. I did no snorkeling in October. My stand-alone camera does not have a 6" 1080p screen for review to help me decide as easily if I got a good shot or need another effort. My stand-alone camera does have some pre-shoot effects and filters in a clunky to operate menu format, but it doesn't have the post-shot editing features my Lumia has. Not even close. And not as close in speed and ease of use as my Lumia either. ProShot App on my Lumia offers me the chance to take full HDR photos by bracketing the shot and merging the images right there on my phone. My stand-alone camera can't do that.

Almost 2800 photos and videos. Not a one of them taken expressly for use on social media. All of them taken for preservation of my precious memories of a wonderful trip with a loved one. My wife had a very nice digital camera she used on the trip. She took more photos (about 3300), but you can't see them on that tiny screen so well, especially in sunlight. She way overshot to make sure she had the pics she wanted. After culling, her final tally is well below mine... There were times when she got tired of using her camera and I was still clicking away with my Lumia. Her reasoning? "I'll just get copies of yours, Dear."

If you still have doubts about the quality, use and desirability of modern cell phone cameras, take a look through the threads here: Photo Contests - Windows Central Forums You'll see many wonderful pictures, masterfully captured on cell phones and come to understand there are a lot of power shooters out there using their cell phone cameras in a very serious way. Compound that by checking our sister sites which all have Photography sub-forums: iMore, Android Central, Crackberry. Multiply that exponentially by realizing how many more people are out there than are on these forums and extrapolate the percentage identifiable here into that larger population.

If you don't get it... That's cool too. It probably is just not your area of interest. But don't dismiss the phenomena out of hand and try to demean it by presenting some 80-90% figure without having valid links to cite. I smell BS.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
re:

I agree with the tablet part... How awkward is that to handle and how sub-par are the pics due to the fumbling with an oversized device?

However... I never post to social media. I really don't care who does or doesn't but 80-90% use of camera on a phone goes to that?

Making up statistics does not make your point true or valid. Adding a number and a percent you just arbitrarily typed into your post does not make the statement any less a personal opinion. Got any hard statistics from a published source? Where is the link?

Let me disagree some more and state emphatically that this is just my personal experience. Cameras on phones have come a long way. In the past ten years I've owned 3 different digital cameras, each more powerful and feature rich than the last. I've stopped short of a Digital SLR for a few reasons. However, having owned a very nice Film SLR in the past, I can say these "point and shoot" options are very good unless you are a pro or a heavy-use amateur.

I'm done buying cameras. I don't need one any longer. My last two phones have out done them.

I'm now using a Lumia 1520. I just spent 32 days in Italy.I brought home almost 2800 pictures and videos and that after nightly culling out rejects. Over 2700 high resolution 16MP photos that can be edited post shot and cropped in for detail without loosing clarity. All from the convenience of my phone which navigated for me, performed internet searches and served as a communication device along the whole way. Something I needed to carry anyway. Why would I need to carry a camera? My current stand-alone camera is a 12MP shooter. The ONLY thing it offers me that my phone does not is 10 meters of water resistance and 5' drop resistance. I did no snorkeling in October. My stand-alone camera does not have a 6" 1080p screen for review to help me decide as easily if I got a good shot or need another effort. My stand-alone camera does have some pre-shoot effects and filters in a clunky to operate menu format, but it doesn't have the post-shot editing features my Lumia has. Not even close. And not as close in speed and ease of use as my Lumia either. ProShot App on my Lumia offers me the chance to take full HDR photos by bracketing the shot and merging the images right there on my phone. My stand-alone camera can't do that.

Almost 2800 photos and videos. Not a one of them taken expressly for use on social media. All of them taken for preservation of my precious memories of a wonderful trip with a loved one. My wife had a very nice digital camera she used on the trip. She took more photos (about 3300), but you can't see them on that tiny screen so well, especially in sunlight. She way overshot to make sure she had the pics she wanted. After culling, her final tally is well below mine... There were times when she got tired of using her camera and I was still clicking away with my Lumia. Her reasoning? "I'll just get copies of yours, Dear."

If you still have doubts about the quality, use and desirability of modern cell phone cameras, take a look through the threads here: Photo Contests - Windows Central Forums You'll see many wonderful pictures, masterfully captured on cell phones and come to understand there are a lot of power shooters out there using their cell phone cameras in a very serious way. Compound that by checking our sister sites which all have Photography sub-forums: iMore, Android Central, Crackberry. Multiply that exponentially by realizing how many more people are out there than are on these forums and extrapolate the percentage identifiable here into that larger population.

If you don't get it... That's cool too. It probably is just not your area of interest. But don't dismiss the phenomena out of hand and try to demean it by presenting some 80-90% figure without having valid links to cite. I smell BS.

You have a very sensitive nose lol

My Lumia 520 (not ranting/complaining) takes awful photos. I know people say that the skills of the photographer are those that matters, but I mostly blame the processing algorithm. Nokia's noise reduction for the Lumia 520 is overly aggresive, and also, even when snapped at ISO 100, it doesn't bring much of an improvement due to large abundance of artifacts (poor compression algorithm?). And if fails to dissipate thermal heat, leading to thermal noise xP, which was (IMO) the main reason they took away 4s shutter speed.

I wonder if Lumia 1020 will get hot after shooting? (deviating from topic)...

Though I hope Lumia Denim will bring new (unlike cyan which brings close to none) processing algorithms. Please let us choose the compression quality and lessen the noise reduction (we can always reduce it ourselves, albeit having to compress it twice).

Also... color reproduction... yuck! Horrible... Take a look at the photo I took at a BBQ party

WP_20140222_20_52_45_Pro.jpg

The charcoals were black and the flames were... purple... (And no, it wasn't the white balance, I've tried all of them already)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

I took some very adequate shots with my 521... It's one of the reasons I switched to Windows Phone and got a 925. If a 5MP without flash and OIS could do what mine did, then it actually speaks well of the software. I understand you want more out of your 520. I hope Denim does bring more to your camera.

There is post shot processing though. Put your pics on your PC and poke at them with some software.

Heck.. just a real quick trip through Office Picture Manager makes a difference, IMHO.
Take 2.jpg

Here are some low light pics I took on my 521 in a cavern back on 8.0 + Amber.No post-shot edit on any of them.
WP_20130827_008.jpgWP_20130827_040.jpgWP_20130827_069.jpg

Like I said, for what I had camera-wise, I was happy how they came out.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
re:

Lol, it was the flames that was problematic. I'm not so much into post processing, maybe some light ones (LCS+Fhotoroom). But I really would like to know how to change the purple flames into red colour.

Wow that picture of the doll/toy/mascot thingy is nice, considering it's dark in there. Oh ya, amber changes the algorithm (forgotten how, not worse, but changed), and Black totally ruined it for me. Does all devices (Lumia) use the same processing algorithm? Or else, why is it so hard for Nokia (formally) to change it?

I could only think of one reason, Marketing Strategy... Its like the 4s Shutter speed issue...

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
re:

I guess your part of the 20-10% that uses your phone for memorable moments. And considering how many phones are activated in the US I think that there isnt a large percentage using them a dedicated camera, not even if you consider all the web sites you mentioned. Last time I checked I wrote " I think" not " I am sure", so i dont need to prove anything. If anything you need to prove that that % isnt valid or I SMELL BS

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

I guess your part of the 20-10% that uses your phone for memorable moments. And considering how many phones are activated in the US I think that there isnt a large percentage using them a dedicated camera, not even if you consider all the web sites you mentioned. Last time I checked I wrote " I think" not " I am sure", so i dont need to prove anything. If anything you need to prove that that % isnt valid or I SMELL BS

K...

Camera vs. Smartphone: Infographic shares the impact our smartphones have had on regular cameras
Communities Dominate Brands: Camera Stats: World has 5.8B Cameras by 4B Unique Camera Owners: 89% of camera owners use a cameraphone to take pictures; This year first time 1 Trillion pictures are taken
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...-photo-with-a-camera-phone-in-their-lifetime/
Smartphones edging point-and-shoot cameras out of market - Emirates 24/7
The digital camera market continues to drop thanks to smartphones | Lies, damned lies and statistics
Smartphones vs. Digital Cameras - has the tipping point been reached? -- LOS ALTOS, Calif., July?24, 2013 /PRNewswire-iReach/ --
Is your smartphone replacing your camera? | Gadgets | Tech | Toronto Sun
https://www.google.com/search?q=sma...v&sa=X&ei=Ak9qVPPoKNb-yQTC5IGADA&ved=0CEgQsAQ

And while these articles and charts may show social media sharing use, they also point out how smartphones are supplanting standalone cameras as the "go to" default for vast numbers of users. Ease of internet sharing is just one component driving the trend of smartphone photography. The "always there" aspect of smartphones opens up a whole realm of accessibility that stand-alone cameras can not match. Today's smartphones at the flagship level offer such great lenses, hardware and software that the shrinking market share of stand alone cameras is still accelerating. People are taking more pictures, not fewer and not all the growth can be linked to social media sharing...

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
re:

If Nokia/Microsoft didn't market their camera, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on in the mobile OS world. When my wife was looking to upgrade her Lumia 521, the first thing she asked was, if there are any phones that have the same quality or better as my Lumia 925. Everyone I talk to is amazed at how great my pictures are on my phone. If Nokia's camera wasn't as good as it is, why did Apple buy one of Nokia's key camera engineers when the Nokia-Microsoft deal was announced last year? I was considering giving her my 925 & getting either a 1020 or 1520.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
re:

The camera brought me to Lumia. OIS.

Of course now the iPhone has caught up or passed many Lumia's, hence the need for a flagship camera phone.

drewman77

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
re:

Until there is DNG or RAW support on another phone that puts out as good a picture as the Icon, I'm staying right here.

Supposedly Android 5.0 will bring DNG support to its camera app. If so, I'll take a Droid Turbo for a spin.

Bong Tze Yong

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
re:

With the new camera feature nowadays, the quality of the photos & videos (especially Lumia Camera) exceeded my expectations. This is from a personal point of view. I was reluctant with all this technology hype, but after having it, well, Convenience is the word.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
re:

I bought my 930 because (1) it was a bargain at €299 and (2) the camera. I am into photography and don't want to lurk my DSLR around (Pentax K-3 btw).

Also, the video recording is very good, especially with the multiple microphones. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQI31wbnaNU

The audio is soo much better on the 930. Really looking forward to Denim and the new camera app.

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
re:

I am completely pushing the thought of denim out of my head because stupid Verizon wont even release cyan! I have an icon and I love the camera, but it takes WAY to long to focus and I want the improvements offered in cyan and later denim.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes