AT&T Lumia 920 to T-Mobile

xsodaxmachinex

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I was looking to take my 920 to T-Mobile but I wasn't sure how to get phone unlocked from ATT to try and switch and also of it was worth going to TMobile. I know there service isn't a good but I really was looking to get an unlimited pay as you go plan from TMobile.

Anyone have any tips or experience unlocking a phone from ATT and switching and how their TMobile experience was? (I am in the Northeastern US if that makes a difference to anyone)

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Call AT&T and tell them you are traveling to Europe and need your phone unlocked. They will give you the unlock code. I have unlocked all of my phones by doing this. The 920 is old so there shouldn't be any problem with AT&T giving you the unlock code.

isi mcf

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Call AT&T and tell them you are traveling to Europe and need your phone unlocked. They will give you the unlock code. I have unlocked all of my phones by doing this. The 920 is old so there shouldn't be any problem with AT&T giving you the unlock code.

They don't give unlock codes over the phone anymore.

you have to go to att.com/deviceunlock to get you code.
Just agree to the terms, fill out the info, and wait about a day to get your code as long as you "qualify"

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
They don't give unlock codes over the phone anymore.
you have to go to att.com/deviceunlock to get you code.

yep, that's correct. I'm getting my 920 unlocked now. I got the code after filling out the online application but now need to get a non-AT&T micro SIM to finish the unlock procedure.

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
The key thing to know is that you will lose the ability to txt pictures, receive/send group txt messages, and share your internet connection (mobile hotspot). Prior to 8.1, there was a fix for all of these involving a SIM card from outside the US(described here in another thread). It was fairly simple and worked well, but 8.1 broke the fix. Reapplying the fix does get your txt pics and group messages back, but no internet sharing. I have recently switched my 920 back to ATT because of this. They have lowered there non-contract prices considerably, so the price difference isn't that great anymore, and they have much better coverage outside of big cities. Good luck.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
That is correct. I had my 920 on T-Mobile and took a few days to get it to work almost 100%. Yes I got 4G LTE here in LA with no problem and was OK with MMS. What killed it was the spotty coverage outside of LA and lack of Internet Sharing. I went back to AT&T and my 920 has worked flawlessly. It's going to take a few restarts and maybe a hard reset or 2 but I know it can be done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo