[M8] Overheating issues?

Silent Fox

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else have issues with their m8 overheating? It drains the battery super fast, and it just started after the first "critical update," and my device is running developer preview. I have narrowed the cause down to either the Skype app or the Dot View case, possibly both. I'm thinking the update causes the software to not interact good with the case. Idk, I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Abel Wang

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the Developer preview as well. I don't use the dot view case, I do use skype occasionally and I have this overheating/battery drain issue. This started happening sometime fairly recently as I've just started noticing this. It sort of seems like this happens when I get a text message. Not sure. I'll see if uninstalling skype helps.

Silent Fox

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Last week my phone was really bad about it, and after I took off the dot view case and uninstalled Skype I have had it do it once. Prior to removing the two (and it started when I downloaded Skype) it would just randomly get super hot in my pocket and when I would pull the phone out it would be almost dead. Also, I take the dot view case off a lot when I am at home, and I would notice that when I put it in the case, it would start heating on up

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I also have the M8 and am on the DP (and installed all the latest updates), however even using Skype heavily for both work and pleasure as well as having the Dot View Case I can say that I do NOT have any issues with the device heating up or random battery drain.

Had the device since it launched on AT&T on the 7th and haven't had a single issue with it yet

Bob Brown2

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I have an M8, dot view case, NO developer preview and I have Skype but I never have used it on this phone. My phone got uncomfortably hot this weekend 3 separate times. Once the overheating gets started the battery drained rapidly. At one point I restarted the phone and put it in my pocket and it got hot just sitting there. All three times this happened I was away from home and at a place where there was WiFi available, but I wasn't connected. I got the impression that it may have something to do with wanting to connect to hotspots, but I have no firm evidence for this.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
My M8 did get hot when I first fired it up and started the set up. The warmth stayed also while doing the updates and installing several apps. After everything was completed and set the way I like it, it hasn't got hot like it did before.

Silent Fox

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I have an M8, dot view case, NO developer preview and I have Skype but I never have used it on this phone. My phone got uncomfortably hot this weekend 3 separate times. Once the overheating gets started the battery drained rapidly. At one point I restarted the phone and put it in my pocket and it got hot just sitting there. All three times this happened I was away from home and at a place where there was WiFi available, but I wasn't connected. I got the impression that it may have something to do with wanting to connect to hotspots, but I have no firm evidence for this.

I've been without the dot view case or Skype, and its done it to me three times in the week with out the two. This is much less rare than prior. To build off of the wifi idea,, all of these did happen while I was in Wi-Fi range, but not connected to it . That being said, when this problem first came up I was at home, where I was connected to wifi. I'm going to try to go wifi off a bit and see if that has any affect

Silent Fox

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
So my phone got hot today at work, and I decided to test the 'unconnected to available Wi-Fi' theory, and my phone stopped heating after I turned the Wi-Fi off.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Hate to say it, but mine only seems to heat up when some gaming action is occurring. Have Skype/Dot View/DP installed...

It is worth noting that the DP will NOT have the firmware installed for the HTC products - or at least the newer versions - that are on the One. You may lose Duo-Cam and a few other features if you install it. The only major issue that I could see happening is if the soft keys go away... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo