[M8] Overheating issues?

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I've had many issued with overheating/battery drain.

Not on DP. No Dot View. No Skype. Not around WiFi.

I've been able to stop it every time by simply turning airplane mode on. At first, I would try to just restart, but that would not fix it surprisingly. Turning airplane mode on does fix it for the most part. It stops the heat and the majority of the battery drain, but the battery still drains faster than usual.

HTC needs to fix this. Bad. I'm having to bring my charging cable to work everyday because of this. Huge annoyance.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Yes I was having these issues as well as of late.
I decided to upgrade to the developer preview. Same heating issues.
I ended looking though my email settings for Gmail and it was set to "download my mail based on usage". Originally I had changed this to every two hours so I did and that seemed to fix the overheating until two hours came up and it would overheat again.
I am assuming for me that it was the Gmail setup (I just use the default Windows Mail account setup, not a developer app). I changed it to "manual" and no overheating issues since. I do get some heat when I charge my phone though.
Anyways for now I just check my Gmail though the web browser since it is my junk personal email stuff and no overheating or battery drain issues.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I used to have this issue with my 920 from time to time, but not yet with the M8 (non dp). As soon as you feel the heat restart your phone, I think it's related to processes hanging open burning up the cpu. A restart will kill it.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
As long as it's not overheating as bad as my 925 is I'll take it, can't even charge it most of the time and browse the web anymore without it overheating and shutting off despite being on the charger.

earlyadapter

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Also having the issue with mine. The phone is literally a month old. I have all latest updates for Skype even though I never use it. I have the Dot View case. Battery monitor says something is draining 7.7% of battery every hour. Yet, no programs are using obscene amounts of battery. It hit 35% when at work from 8:30 AM to 2 PM. So that doesn't exactly add up. For the past few weeks, at this point in the day, it is supposed to be no less than 75%. The largest battery usage is Nokia Here maps, but that's same as it was the past few weeks. The heating issue just started this past weekend. I am very habitual when using this phone and only have a few apps.

I know foursquare had a huge update recently, so I uninstalled that and hopefully it helps.

PS I have no Developer Preview on mine, regular 8.1.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Also having the issue with mine. The phone is literally a month old. I have all latest updates for Skype even though I never use it. I have the Dot View case. Battery monitor says something is draining 7.7% of battery every hour. Yet, no programs are using obscene amounts of battery. It hit 35% when at work from 8:30 AM to 2 PM. So that doesn't exactly add up. For the past few weeks, at this point in the day, it is supposed to be no less than 75%. The largest battery usage is Nokia Here maps, but that's same as it was the past few weeks. The heating issue just started this past weekend. I am very habitual when using this phone and only have a few apps.

I know foursquare had a huge update recently, so I uninstalled that and hopefully it helps.

PS I have no Developer Preview on mine, regular 8.1.

Same here. Sigh. I sort of regret not going with the Icon

Carl Smith4

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I have been monkeying with this for some time myself. I don't use Skype, but like a lot of folks suspected the dot view case, I continued to have the problem even with the case removed and software disabled. I had reset my phone twice as well leaving only the default apps and it still had a problem.

What I noticed was that I never had the problem at my office while connected to the wireless. It seemed to always get hot as I was out and about, inconsistently for sure. Like everyone else if I went into airplane mode the phone would cool. Sometimes I could even restart the phone and it would continue to get hot after it booted. I travel quite a bit and noticed this was common in airports and at a diner a few weeks ago it was sitting on the table and got very hot, rebooting didn't resolve it, and I had to shut it off completely lest the battery drain completely away.

What I ended up doing was disabling the Wi-Fi Sense stuff in the WiFi Settings so that the phone would stop trying to log into wireless networks automatically. So far it has been over a week and the heat up problem has not returned. I hope my suspicion that this application in it's zeal to connect with certain types of WiFi networks is the problem.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Anyone think it is based on what types of chargers you use? I know if I use the one that came with the phone it takes forever to charge and gets warm to the touch at times but lasts a long time based on daily usage. If I use the generic Verizon car charger it charges much faster but then seems to drain quicker. I use my old generic Verizon charger from my Icon it charges fast but seems to drain like the HTC charger. I usually never let my phone drain completely, I usually charge it below 20 but sometimes even if it is at 40 or 50 percent.

I am wondering if mixing chargers with a fast paced and then slow paced charging messes with the battery itself? I have never tried the wireless plate thing so not sure how fast or slow that charges. ( I have my HTC charger at home, Verizon generic at work, and then the car charger)

Recently I had the phone at 40%, set it down for maybe an hour or two, went to check something and it had completely drained. I had to plug it in (with the HTC cable) and wait about 5 minutes for it to get any juice just to boot.
Since then I have only used the HTC charger and have not had any heating issues. Will keep this updated.

BTW I am running DP version but I had the issue before I updated to DP as well. I also had this issue with my Icon.

earlyadapter

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I have been monkeying with this for some time myself. I don't use Skype, but like a lot of folks suspected the dot view case, I continued to have the problem even with the case removed and software disabled. I had reset my phone twice as well leaving only the default apps and it still had a problem.

What I noticed was that I never had the problem at my office while connected to the wireless. It seemed to always get hot as I was out and about, inconsistently for sure. Like everyone else if I went into airplane mode the phone would cool. Sometimes I could even restart the phone and it would continue to get hot after it booted. I travel quite a bit and noticed this was common in airports and at a diner a few weeks ago it was sitting on the table and got very hot, rebooting didn't resolve it, and I had to shut it off completely lest the battery drain completely away.

What I ended up doing was disabling the Wi-Fi Sense stuff in the WiFi Settings so that the phone would stop trying to log into wireless networks automatically. So far it has been over a week and the heat up problem has not returned. I hope my suspicion that this application in it's zeal to connect with certain types of WiFi networks is the problem.

You may be right about the wifi issue. It only happens when I leave my office and head down to the storage room, or on the stairs. No wifi signal there. No issues at my house. I'll test this out and report back.

earlyadapter

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
OK After testing and turning wifi completely off while at work and at home...Nothing appears to fix the heating issue. Dot View case is off. Remember I have good internet at home. Wifi completely surrounds my apartment. Work Iphone working fine. So it's not my internet connection at home or at work.

I was simply charging it in my bedroom since I got home from work and went back to check on it. It was super hot, so maybe a charging issue. Also I have noticed that it gets hotter when texts or phone calls come in. Then somewhat cools down until the next one starts. Not very helpful when chatting with multiple people at once. It's like any major activity done on the phone heats it up.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so, I think I MAY have fixed my issue. I'm cautiously optimistic. After a day it hasn't happened, and trust me for this phone that's a good sign.

How many here use Baconit or Readit? Those two apps were my problem, I think. I would notice that it seemed to start after I got done using either app for 10-15 mins not on wifi. So I reinstalled, and I refuse to open either app if I'm not on wifi. I just use IE for it. Today, it has worked well. When I went out, I purposefully used a lot of data just to test, but didn't open Baconit. And it was cool as a cucumber.

I know both apps are battery hogs, but it shouldn't be like this. There is a problem with this device that needs resolved, but I think I may have found a temporary fix for now, at least for me.

And no, Battery Saver wasn't reporting it using any abnormal battery amount.

earlyadapter

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so, I think I MAY have fixed my issue. I'm cautiously optimistic. After a day it hasn't happened, and trust me for this phone that's a good sign.

How many here use Baconit or Readit? Those two apps were my problem, I think. I would notice that it seemed to start after I got done using either app for 10-15 mins not on wifi. So I reinstalled, and I refuse to open either app if I'm not on wifi. I just use IE for it. Today, it has worked well. When I went out, I purposefully used a lot of data just to test, but didn't open Baconit. And it was cool as a cucumber.

I know both apps are battery hogs, but it shouldn't be like this. There is a problem with this device that needs resolved, but I think I may have found a temporary fix for now, at least for me.

And no, Battery Saver wasn't reporting it using any abnormal battery amount.

I'm not sure but is using IE using 15% and messaging using 7% of battery abnormal?? Those are the only apps I use heavily. I had running in the background. Drudge, MSN Finance, or whatever they call it, and Facebook. That's IT!!! This is sooo frustrating and hopefully a fix is issued over the weekend.

Now I set the battery saver to always save battery and those simple apps are not running in the background.

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I've only had the heating problem once while up in the city. Had WiFi sense on, but have now turned it off.
The instant fix was to reset the phone and since the one occurrence it has been fine.

earlyadapter

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I believe it is the wifi sense issue. Last night I went to my cousin's house and though she has wifi I didn't have her password or bother with trying to connect to her wifi. Don't need it. It still got hot in my pocket throughout the party. Like it was trying to constantly search for and connect to wifi. Wifi was on, but sense and all those features were turned off. Guess I have to be more mindful, until they fix it.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
There is a Microsoft app in the store called Field Medic, it may give some insight for people having this issue. It logs alot of things you don't see in settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs