[L830] Auto restart?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Was hoping to be able to report good news today, but B&H Photo Video decided to send me back my exact same device after marking it as swapped/exchanged. That's right, the device I sent back for an exchange due to the random reboots every day... B&H tried to pass it off as exchanged/swapped but simply sent it right back to me thinking I wouldn't notice. They both have the exact same IMEI number.

conorn

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Still getting random reboots. One thing I noticed is that reboots happen more regularly when wearing one particular coat! With this I use an inside pocket and phone gets hotter from body-heat and coat's insulation. Usually I use jeans back pocket or outside pocket on jacket. Soooo, could it be temperature related? Maybe?. Ok, longshot.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Still getting random reboots. One thing I noticed is that reboots happen more regularly when wearing one particular coat! With this I use an inside pocket and phone gets hotter from body-heat and coat's insulation. Usually I use jeans back pocket or outside pocket on jacket. Soooo, could it be temperature related? Maybe?. Ok, longshot.

Not for me... was always happening at regular room temperature, with the phone away from any insulation.

So only one person was able to solve this problem by swapping out their SIM card? Must not be the SIM then for most of us.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I spoke too soon. Now I'm having the random reboots again. All my other problems are gone though. I had to stop using my Band though :-(

Levi Meyer

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I think it's a software glitch, I've had the same problem with mine, and since I deleted the duolingo app, it never happend anymore, and it's running very smooth. I don'k know if it is a coincedence?
I'm very satisfied with mine (upgraded from an Lumia 925) and the battery is a beast!

KMN13

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps a coincidence! I use only factory applications !! I'm not downloading apps !! For 24 hours is restarted (4 times), for the next 3 days (0 times) !!!! I don`t know !! No logic !!

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Mine reboots too, maybe once every two or three days. It could be sitting on a table and suddenly I see the nokia word. Interestingly it never says goodbye, its a quick off and on again. Other than that it works great.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine reboots too, maybe once every two or three days. It could be sitting on a table and suddenly I see the nokia word. Interestingly it never says goodbye, its a quick off and on again. Other than that it works great.

Which variant do you have, RM-984 or RM-985?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Okay I flashed to the Rogers rom yesterday from the Latin America rom on my rm-985. I've installed all my applications on the phone, media and maps on the microSD card. The phone hasn't rebooted for an entire day today, earlier it used to reboot atleast twice daily

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Okay I flashed to the Rogers rom yesterday from the Latin America rom on my rm-985. I've installed all my applications on the phone, media and maps on the microSD card. The phone hasn't rebooted for an entire day today, earlier it used to reboot atleast twice daily

That is my current setup. After a few days the restarts started again...

KMN13

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
For me is also a software problem !! I hope that the next update will fix the problem! If not corrected, I will take away the Lumia and will buy iPhone. No sense to get angry,when there are so many brands of phones!!!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've started to notice this happening on my RM-984 as well now. Previously it seemed to only happen on the RM-985 that I sent back to B&H. It's less frequent, but has happened twice now in the last six days or so.

​Really hope this is only a firmware issue and that Microsoft is working on a fix.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Was hoping to be able to report good news today, but B&H Photo Video decided to send me back my exact same device after marking it as swapped/exchanged. That's right, the device I sent back for an exchange due to the random reboots every day... B&H tried to pass it off as exchanged/swapped but simply sent it right back to me thinking I wouldn't notice. They both have the exact same IMEI number.

If this is true perhaps they couldn't duplicate it. I sent back my Lumia 810 to T Mobile when I had it because it had the same rebooting issue which has been seen in several Lumia's. They sent the same phone back, it was like wtf ! I did a master reset and it cured it. I sent my Olympus E-PL3 in for an viewfinder glitch. Olympus sent it back saying they couldn't duplicate it. They can't fix or warrant what they can't duplicate. Between the receiver of your 'defective' phone and the tech trying to duplicate it ( they have to duplicate it don't they?) and the return department - notes can go missing or the tech forgot to tell shipping that he couldn't duplicate it so it was sent back by mistake or intent, because just possibly they found no issue but it wasn't written on the notes and you got the same phone back. One person doesn't receive, check for issues and return it. There can be miscommunication between departments and even if they know of the possible mistake it takes time to link all the threads to together to get to the bottom of the issue. The RA department, the tech checking the phone, the authorization department authorizing a return to you and finally the shipping department who send back the same phone ALL have to be investigated and present to figure out what went wrong. That's not the same as "thinking I wouldn't notice".

Last edited:

OrangeBerry02

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Random reboots have been a feature of Windows Phones for years now and Microsoft seem to have had little success fixing the problem. I have come to a Lumia 830 (RM-984 in the UK on EE) via a (much loved) Samsung Ativ S which would reboot every 2 - 3 days. When I first got that I was on the O2 network and found the phone rebooted several times a day ... the switch to EE improved things (initially I thought it solved the problem but the phone started rebooting after a few days).

Not a solution ... but an app by the name of LastBootUpTime is a useful way to record objectively all the times one's phone reboots.

I'm looking into a tip for solving the random reboot problem but will only declare EUREKA! and post it here if I can go a min of a full 7 days without a reboot.

Regards

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo