[L830] Auto restart?

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Thx Fred, just hope MSFT are on the case by now because it seems the 730 and 735 suffer the same fate. AND I hope they fix the L830 not charging in the CR-200/201 car charger!

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
For me, it restart only when using IE. Not everytime but on average once a day. I am on PFD.

For me I can be working with any app. I mentions in earlier post that I hard reset phone with new profile therefore none of my own apps. I was in car playing my music over Bluetooth to my Nokia CR-100 car kit from my sd card on the phone and the music just stopped playing, phone disconnected from car kit switched off then on again. And only the phones own apps had been installed/updated at that time.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I went almost a week with no restarts--then multiple restarts, including two about 20 minutes apart.

I can't tell if it's rampant or what, but it doesn't seem to be SD card related. Oh boy...

Same thing happened with me. In fact I was getting ready to post on here that it had been several days without a restart. Then boom... twice in the span of a few hours. Can't imagine it's anything hardware related, at least.

Marty89

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Same here. I got two restarts yesterday in a couple of hours and one few minutes ago when using WCentral app or using whatsapp.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Interestingly enough mine restarts when I am NOT using it. I do have an SD-Card but there are no apps installed on the card, it only holds my music, nothing else. I don't have WhatsApp or Viber installed, the only messaging apps are Facebook Messenger and Skype. Today, I was sitting at my desk with my phone by my side. At some point it randomly vibrated for a second, which it always does when it reboots. I haven't been using my phone since the night before, haven't received any messages or phone calls in the meantime.

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
It seems to be app and/or SD card related. Messaging apps such as Whatapps, Viber, etc. seem to invoke the freeze up followed by the watchdog reset.
Also, some apps, if installed on the SD card (again, messaging apps seem to be the worse) also seem to freeze thus causing the watchdog to reset the processor.

Fred

Intriguing. I don't install any apps on the SD Card (only music, pictures and videos). But my most recent auto-restart did proceed a crash in JBD Facebook, which I've been using ever since Facebook separated chat into a separate app. I uninstalled it just as an experiment.

So "watchdog" is the function that causes an auto-restart?

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Most likely the "watchdog" is causing the resets.
Watchdog is a circuit that toggles the "reset" pin on the CPU whenever the CPU is hung.
Code running on the CPU has to constantly reset the watchdog timer before it counts all the down. If it counts all the way down, the watchdog circuit then toggles the reset pin on the CPU causing the CPU to reset.
The few times mine has reset has occurred when using a messaging app. The app and phone would lock up for a few seconds, no keyboard response, etc., then reset.

Fred

Intriguing. I don't install any apps on the SD Card (only music, pictures and videos). But my most recent auto-restart did proceed a crash in JBD Facebook, which I've been using ever since Facebook separated chat into a separate app. I uninstalled it just as an experiment.

So "watchdog" is the function that causes an auto-restart?

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Most likely the "watchdog" is causing the resets.
Watchdog is a circuit that toggles the "reset" pin on the CPU whenever the CPU is hung.
Code running on the CPU has to constantly reset the watchdog timer before it counts all the down. If it counts all the way down, the watchdog circuit then toggles the reset pin on the CPU causing the CPU to reset.
The few times mine has reset has occurred when using a messaging app. The app and phone would lock up for a few seconds, no keyboard response, etc., then reset.

Fred

Exact same with me, the phone just freezes for a few seconds before switch off. I now know when it happens. Hope it doesn't happen during a call though!

Desynthesis

May 12, 2014
Visit site
If that doesn't work, I wonder if it's configurable--the same way, for example, you could adjust the light sensor's sensitivity on Windows Phone 7 if the phone screen was turning off too easily during a phone call.

It probably is hardwired, but it would be nice if it wasn't.

Marty89

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I hope that update solves this issue. I searched and found that many 920s had problems with random reboots and update solved it, the same for 925s.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
It restarts after GPS use. When Hear Drive is reloaded it is signed out, no offline maps loaded, no spoken languages downloaded and it goes on to online mode. Kinda Annoying...

SidhuSir

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I just bought a Lumia 830 (RM-985) last week, Fri Jan.2 and as of last night it began 'Crashing' (Im going to call it crashing as that is essentially what it is doing when it randomly decides to Restart). It happens very frequently for me and I cannot really even use the phone, if lucky I may get a text or two out. The one thing that I have noticed just before it crashes, the phone switches into Flight mode so right when i see the little Airplane appear i know its lights out for the Lumia. This is very frustrating as I have never had such a sever issue with my iPhone 4S or Android LG Nexus and what makes it worse is that I am a developer and almost exclusively use MS technologies and am always boasting about how great they are & have wanted a Windows phone for some time. I dont think that this can be a virus as I have only installed apps from trusted sources like FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google, Netflix, Flixster, Lumia Clock, Nokia Camera, OneDrive, TuneIn Radio, Photosynth, TimePlay, Unit Converter and some games for my kids (Angry Birds & Angry Birds Epic). Unit Converter is the only one from a smaller company but I have not even launched it yet. To me the problem seems to be Hardware related. I cannot even perform a Hard Reset as by the time i get into Settings, the phone crashes. I have tried a Soft Reset but didnt help. Any suggestions? It seems lile it may be best to take it back & either exchange it for a new one & hope this issue was Hardware on that particular phone. However I am contemplating trying to return it and go back to Android unless someone has never had these Crashing issues?? Thanks!

dysje

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I've personally seen at least 10 to 15 Lumia 830's do this right before my eyes and a lot more people around me with similar issues (some businesses here use the 830). Stay away from the device, get a 735, 930, whatever. But the 830 is in it's current state just broken.

I suspect it has to do with cellular and wifi connection because most of those devices lose cellular and wifi connection all day long too for no apparent reason.

Marty89

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
735 isn't a solution. They have the same problem. My 830 reboots randomly every other day, but only when I use it (like WhatsApp or Windows central app), never when it's just lying on a desk.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
If you took the time to wonder over to the 730/735 and 930 forums you would see the same issue with them, so recommending the 735 and/or 930 as a way to avoid the reset problem is just silly.

Fred

rideboarder

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
No problem with reboots on the three 735's in my household. Apparently the 730's have issues because of the dual sim...but this isn't really a problem for the 735's.

dysje

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
If you took the time to wonder over to the 730/735 and 930 forums you would see the same issue with them, so recommending the 735 and/or 930 as a way to avoid the reset problem is just silly.

I've only got some experience with a limited number of 735 (two actually) and those work absolutely perfectly. The topic on the 735 forums seems also a lot less active than this one. Even though the 735 is by FAR the more popular device. The 830 seems a lot more prone to issues and I have far more experience with so many falling apart around me.

No problem with reboots on the three 735's in my household. Apparently the 730's have issues because of the dual sim...but this isn't really a problem for the 735's.

Same here, just played with two 735's and they both work brilliantly. But I only have two around me. 830 is more popular here due to the field I work in and the amount of problems (close to 50% of the devices) is staggering.

I do have a hunch it's limited to specific network operators, so I'm kind of curious what networks people use here.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
830, AT&T, no problems, period.

As a FYI though, both 730's and 735's are having the "reset problem" with about the same frequency as reported here for the 830's and same for the 930's.

So you don't get restarts with your 735, great, but many others do, and I don't get restarts with my 830 either, but many others do :)

:)
Fred

dysje

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
In your phone settings list, is there something regarding silent hours (a cortana setting)? It shouldn't be there if you are not in a Cortana area, but on the Lumia 830's that keeps restarting for some reason it's there and not on my fully functional Lumia 735. Maybe pointing towards a strange software problem, maybe factory installed software is the wrong type for the phone.

At the moment I can't try reflashing factory software with Lumia recovery tool. But when I get a chance I'll test it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb