[L830] Auto restart?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I am having this issue a lot lately. I thought I had the full denim update since I bought the phone from the MSFT store in December. I have to say, I am not nearly as happy with the 830 as I was with the 920. I also agree that the touch screen is not nearly as responsive and the time it takes to resume is not a good thing!

Not only is Microsoft selling the phone over-priced at $500, it's also selling it with a half-baked OS/firmware. Pretty crummy.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I've had a 830 for a few months now.
After some reviews and youtube comparisions with the 1520, I got a new 920.
My 830 has been sitting in it's box on the shelf for a few weeks now.
My 920 runs circles around my 830, even with the "older" hardware that the 920 has.
The 920 is faster and smoother with a much more responsive screen than my 830.
No problems at all with the 920 in about a month now that I"ve have it.
Smooth as melted butter.

:)
Fred

I am having this issue a lot lately. I thought I had the full denim update since I bought the phone from the MSFT store in December. I have to say, I am not nearly as happy with the 830 as I was with the 920. I also agree that the touch screen is not nearly as responsive and the time it takes to resume is not a good thing!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Probably stating the obvious here but I've noticed the phone restarts more often the more I use it. That might not be immediately obvious to some because often times the phone reboots while it's idle, as many have reported. It's been a heavy usage day for me and the phone has rebooted about 5 or 6 times already.

O Denim, Denim... wherefore art thou Denim?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Can everyone that had this issue and was fortunate enough to receive the full Denim update confirm whether or not it fixed the random restart issue? Thanks.

vag0s

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I have the full Denim update for my L830 for few days now and I had no restarts so far (used to restart almost daily). Moreover the back button seems ok now: haven't missed a hit all these days!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. That leaves me confused regarding what to do with my RM-985. Some report their phones are stable, others are reporting random reboots. Yet, we're all on the same Firmware revision number (no full Denim yet). Might that suggest random reboots from Lumia 830s are due to hardware defects for some folks? Wish Microsoft would hurry up with Denim so we could find out and take necessary steps.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys. That leaves me confused regarding what to do with my RM-985. Some report their phones are stable, others are reporting random reboots. Yet, we're all on the same Firmware revision number (no full Denim yet). Might that suggest random reboots from Lumia 830s are due to hardware defects for some folks? Wish Microsoft would hurry up with Denim so we could find out and take necessary steps.
RM-985, I can confirm that Full Denim fixed this annoying issue, two weeks with no rebooting :)

vag0s

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, I confirm that restarts are still there even with latest Denim update.. Less frequent but there. Come on Microsoft!!!! I am a huge fan of WP but this is getting too much.

Gaming Life

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I think it is a hardware issue. My Lumia 830 RM 985 does not have this issue. You can try to flash a new firmware by using Lumia recovery tool. This might help the restart issue to go away. Make sure to do a hard reset because flashing is a hard process on phone memory so doing a hard reset after flashing is a good idea.

vag0s

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I have this problem on my 830 and on my wife's brand new 735. There is certainly a pattern here..also hearing all the people's complaints I fear that we are living those BSOD days all again.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I think it is a hardware issue. My Lumia 830 RM 985 does not have this issue. You can try to flash a new firmware by using Lumia recovery tool. This might help the restart issue to go away. Make sure to do a hard reset because flashing is a hard process on phone memory so doing a hard reset after flashing is a good idea.

Thanks for the info. I already have the latest NAM rom, so I thought it was pretty useless to flash to the exact same rom. I will try it though.

I've actually went ahead and bought another Microsoft Store RM-985. Every store was suddenly out-of-stock (wonder if they were recalled), so I got one shipped from the online store. We'll see if this one has the same issue. I've only just set it up.

A couple of interesting observations:

1) the seal on the box with the brand name written in a hologram font says "Microsoft" now. On every other Lumia 830 I've had it said "Nokia."

2) the metallic frame on this one doesn't quite have as much sheen as the frame on the one that's been rebooting. Doesn't look quite as nice.

3) the display also isn't quite as good. Not sure how to describe it but the colors are slightly more washed out and dull, though that's taken care of for the most part with the Display and Brightness Profiles. But the display requires more tinkering than the one with reboots did. I wonder if there's a slight difference in how the metal frame and display look depending on which plant they were produced at.

This isn't the first time I've noticed this, as I've now been through five Lumia 830s. Three have had the duller sheen and poorer display, the other two had more sheen on the metal and a slightly better display by default. The differences are slight and aren't deal breakers... just interesting observations.

We'll see if this one doesn't have the reboots. If it's stable, I'll obviously keep this one and return the other despite what I said about the sheen on the metal frame and the quality of the display.

Also going to reinstall the firmware on the one with reboots using the Software Recovery Tool, just to see what happens even though its the exact same firmware.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well after I received my replacement RM-985 from Microsoft the first thing I did was reflash the firmware again. I haven't had any reboots since then, something tells me that the reboots are really a hardware problem which could be fixed with a software update (some Denim users have confirmed). Regardless, hopefully it works out for you.

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Well after I received my replacement RM-985 from Microsoft the first thing I did was reflash the firmware again. I haven't had any reboots since then, something tells me that the reboots are really a hardware problem which could be fixed with a software update (some Denim users have confirmed). Regardless, hopefully it works out for you.

With the stock ROM, i too had the reboot problem. Flashed the same ROM and never had a reboot.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Alright, update time:

Flashed my RM-985 with the same NAM ROM it came with using the Software Recovery Too. Random reboots persisted.

Ordered another one from the Microsoft Store online since there were none in stock at my 3 area stores.

Good news, I've had it for 3 days and no random reboots! My only gripe, a bit nitpicky perhaps, is that it doesn't have quite the same sheen on the metal frame as the past Lumia 830s I had. Seems like it's a brand new batch (the official hologram seal on the box now says Microsoft, it used to say Nokia), so maybe they're all like that.

I returned the one that had the reboots the Microsoft Store.

Wish I could combine parts of each of the Lumia 830s I've had. The display quality of the first one I got from the Microsoft Store along with the sheen of the metal frame, but the stability and sound quality of the 2nd one I got.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Forgot to add this bit of advice based on my post above, to those experiencing random reboots and/or freezes (considering I've had a handful of Lumia 830s now):

• If your phone only experiences random reboots (no freezes) and you haven't received the Denim update yet, the update should fix it.
  • If you are experiencing freezes prior to the phone rebooting, it very well could be a hardware issue. All the Lumia 830s I had had reboot issues, but only one was freezing as well. That one that was freezing actually had a hardware defect, it wasn't the firmware.
  • If you own an RM-985 and are on the NAM ROM experiencing freezes and reboots, there's a great chance it's actually a hardware defect. Reinstall the firmware using the software recovery tool and see if it still freezes (like mine did).

Bottom line: Random reboots alone are likely a symptom of pre-full Denim firmware bugs. Reboots that are preceded by the phone freezing may very well be a hardware issue, like mine was. Don't wait for Denim to see if it fixes things if the phone freezes before it reboots, get support or return/exchange the device while you still can.

Last edited:

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My newest Lumia 830 just restarted for the first time (had it for about 5 days) :-/. It didn't freeze or anything, "just" a reboot. If it happens once a week or so I can live with it, but it kinda startled me. I think I have PTSD from my Lumia 830 experiences -_-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster