Should I get 1520 or wait for next flagship ?

datisdesign

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
My recommendation is if you don't get one before the holidays (1520) you might as well wait until later on in 2015 for the implementation of Windows 10. Trust me the 1520 is an amazing piece of technology and you wouldn't be disappointed, but there's been a lot of chatter about new phones coming out especially around the launch of 10. I love my 1520, and as far as I'm concerned, I have my flagship.

I have waited a long time after 1520 but they didn't release any flagship after that, Windows 10 is going to be showed in next build which I think is going to be in next April, about 5 months ! and usually they will introduce new hardware after that !

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. Debating about a 1520 or to wait. Since I'm with... Verizon... I would have to change when my contract is up. In February. I've decided to wait and see what they announce in April to decide for sure.
If you can switch now, I wouldn't hesitate.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Like my 920 and it has not gave me any problems, and the battery has done a lot better after the last update.

But I do not think Microsoft is going to come out with anything even close to the 1520 or 1020 in performance or hardware. They seem like they are set on just build low cost and mid range average devices.

l1520orAFK

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
If you can get it cheap $350, I'd say go for it but make sure it's on warranty. If the screen tap issue appears, send it in for repair. They can fix it to a good extent now. Just keep in mind though, you might also want to check 830, 930 prices as they probably retail much much lower than before. If 930 and 1520 are the same price, buy the former because it will resell higher. Consider buying the 830 if it's close to $250.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what you have.
Since you have a 920, i'd wait. Theres no real reason to get anything new other than to have that feeling of new and shiny.
Unless the 920 just doesn't feel fast enough or big enough for you then I would get a 1520 or something equivalent.
The other question is, can you wait that long? If you can or don't care about a new one but wondered (everyone gets that feeling that they want that new and shiny) just wait it out.

datisdesign

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys for your answers, Currently I am on T-Mobile, I have two options, one is to get the 1520 from AT&T and another is to get an unlocked version, Which one do you suggest ? And if you suggest unlocked version, is there a specific version to get ?
Thanks again

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys for your answers, Currently I am on T-Mobile, I have two options, one is to get the 1520 from AT&T and another is to get an unlocked version, Which one do you suggest ? And if you suggest unlocked version, is there a specific version to get ?
Thanks again

The unlocked one you want is RM-938 AKA 1520.3; Factory Unlocked country variant for Latin America. The advantage over the AT&T one is LTE on T-MoUS or AT&T (AT&T model will not get T-Mo LTE, but unlocked gets both), built in 32GB internal storage (AT&T only one black model has 32GB, others with 16GB), Qi wireless charging built in (AT&T uses the competing PowerMat format and requires a jacket be put on the phone, unlocked needs no jacket and is on the more readily found Qi).

B&H Photo usually has the best price on 1520.3. Make sure to web search 1520.3 AND RM-938. Do'nt get the RM-937 that is out there - it is more suited for European use (radios inside) or the RM-939 for Asia that lacks LTE all together...

Nokia Lumia 1520 - Full phone specifications

datisdesign

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
The unlocked one you want is RM-938 AKA 1520.3; Factory Unlocked country variant for Latin America. The advantage over the AT&T one is LTE on T-MoUS or AT&T (AT&T model will not get T-Mo LTE, but unlocked gets both), built in 32GB internal storage (AT&T only one black model has 32GB, others with 16GB), Qi wireless charging built in (AT&T uses the competing PowerMat format and requires a jacket be put on the phone, unlocked needs no jacket and is on the more readily found Qi).

B&H Photo usually has the best price on 1520.3. Make sure to web search 1520.3 AND RM-938. Do'nt get the RM-937 that is out there - it is more suited for European use (radios inside) or the RM-939 for Asia that lacks LTE all together...

Thanks, What color do you have ? B&H has only black now, does the white one get stains after a while or not ?

JJ Luoto

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
1520 is a Super so why to wait ?
in case of consumer elctronics you can always wait... as there comes better time after time. So Go now and take next one when you are ready, it will be better anyway.

NeoGohan

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I got my girlfriend a Lumia 1520.3 and she loves it. I've been thinking about jumping to it from my Lumia 1020 but I feel like there's something around the corner and I should just wait for it. Really hoping for a 5" Lumia flagship. I don't like the fact the HTC One M8's camera ain't so great.

Kalyan Chowdary

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

Latest update of preview for developers unlocked LTE option on Rm-939..

grandmaster1618

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from 920 to 1520 too. The main advantage of this phone imo is battery. Always felt the 920 was a better performer when it comes to photography especially low light.
My advice, if you are interested in photography, is to wait. 1030 will be released before march 2015.. Even before windows 10.. If that's the case then you d be disappointed with the 1520 (just the camera not the battery mind you)..

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
1030 will be released before march 2015.. Even before windows 10..

Sorry, what is your source for this claim? Does anyone even know if a successor is planned let alone what it'll be called and when it will be released?

I'm just baffled how people can take unfounded rumors and repeat them over and over as fact with no proof at all....

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded from 920 to 1520 too. The main advantage of this phone imo is battery. Always felt the 920 was a better performer when it comes to photography especially low light.
My advice, if you are interested in photography, is to wait. 1030 will be released before march 2015.. Even before windows 10.. If that's the case then you d be disappointed with the 1520 (just the camera not the battery mind you)..

Wait.. As someone who's had the 920, two 1020s, and now a 1520, I must argue that the 1520 completely blows away the 920's camera.. even in low light, and especially after Cyan and using the right settings. What makes some think the 920 is better at low light, I believe, is that when the 920 came out, there was nothing before it (on a phone) that could compete, and it completely wowed everyone with it's low light capabilities. Yes, the 920 still takes amazing pics, but the Pureview camera tech has come a long way since then... and if someone upgraded to a 1520 from a 920, and were disappointed with the camera, I'd have to say they don't know what they're doing with the settings. The 1520's camera is so much better in every way...

grandmaster1618

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Oh u mean i need to fiddle around with the settings to get a good shot with the 1520.. You are right I didn't know that.. I m used to point and tap on my 920..

grandmaster1618

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, what is your source for this claim? Does anyone even know if a successor is planned let alone what it'll be called and when it will be released?

I'm just baffled how people can take unfounded rumors and repeat them over and over as fact with no proof at all....

That is what Satya Nadella told me I dunno if he can be trusted though. He was wearing a black turtle neck and blue jeans and was in the middle of announcing a new gadget when he said "one more thing" he paused "we may launch the 1030 before march next year.. If you are planning to buy a 1520 you will be disappointed"

Some guy from MS did say they were planning for a 1020 successor. The contents of my last post are just my thoughts. There's no proof for anything I said earlier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa