Why is my battery draining so fast?

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
820 and 4G - Battery drain question

I've been running my Lumia 820 since May with plenty of battery life at end of day even with playing games using 3G.

However, my network package now includes 4G and when I turned my phone off around 2pm today to enable 4G I had 80% charge left, however by 6pm I was down to 20%! That was without playing games, with the only use being several couple minute sessions using the WinCentral app that's all.

Anyone else having battery draining issues since enabling 4G? Will the battery stabilise with time?

Any help would be great.

G.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: 820 and 4G - Battery drain question

I doubt it could be a fluke. Keep an eye on it. Also if 4G reception is bad in your region, it could eat the battery.

I would experiment a bit, bumping it down to 3G to make sure its 4G that's eating the battery, and perhaps keep an eye on the cell reception indicator, see if it gets bumped down to below 4G.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

I doubt it could be a fluke. Keep an eye on it. Also if 4G reception is bad in your region, it could eat the battery.

I would experiment a bit, bumping it down to 3G to make sure its 4G that's eating the battery, and perhaps keep an eye on the cell reception indicator, see if it gets bumped down to below 4G.

Seems to be fine today, even with playing games, so might have been a battery glitch.

tajson

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
This is normal in L820. Using Messenger by wi-fi battery is getting low incredibly fast. I have to charge battery every 12 hours.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

Xandros9 is right, there are several things that can hurt battery life. I have been using a 820 for almost 2 years and in those 2 years (according to my battery meter) I have adveraged 1 day and 14 hours between charges. But I have had several times where my battery life has dropped to less than 12 hours. If wifi is enabled all the time but you are not near a good connection your phone will keep looking for a good signal and kill your battery. If your phone is looking for a 4G signal and can't fine one it will keep trying and kill your battery life again. Apps that run in the background without your knowledge can also drain your battery. Trouble is it could be several things or a combination of things. The 820 (one of its few faults) does not have a large battery to start with, so you have to experiment with different setting and apps. But you can get good battery life with a 820 if its treated right. Mine is proof of that. I got a extra battery when I bought it to change out if needed. But I never have. I charge it up every three or four weeks to keep it good. But aside from that its never been in the phone.

ejbrod1

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
There has to be a reason for the battery drain.

I have an 820 on DP 8.1, and was getting approx 26 hours. On the 6th Dec '14, I got a critical update which I downloaded.

Battery life diminished to 12/13hours after this 'critical' update.

If I use location and 3G the battery life is less than 8 hours :shocked:

Did a hard reset (clean, not from a backup) and battery life back to 26/28 hours. Did another hard reset and used most recent backup (to get my call logs back) and battery life dreadful again.

I am a software engineer in the telecommunications sector (not phone OS dev) and if our software had the same effect on our customers hardware we wouldn't last a day.

There is a reason for this battery problem and it's down to bad software engineering.

[rant over] anyone got a proper (tried & tested) solution ?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
There has to be a reason for the battery drain.

I have an 820 on DP 8.1, and was getting approx 26 hours. On the 6th Dec '14, I got a critical update which I downloaded.

Battery life diminished to 12/13hours after this 'critical' update.

If I use location and 3G the battery life is less than 8 hours :shocked:

Did a hard reset (clean, not from a backup) and battery life back to 26/28 hours. Did another hard reset and used most recent backup (to get my call logs back) and battery life dreadful again.

I am a software engineer in the telecommunications sector (not phone OS dev) and if our software had the same effect on our customers hardware we wouldn't last a day.

There is a reason for this battery problem and it's down to bad software engineering.

[rant over] anyone got a proper (tried & tested) solution ?

That's interesting, I have a 1020 and I thought I was the only one getting bad battery life after the last update that gave us data toggles...I used to come home with 70%....now I get home with a flat phone :/. Also I've noticed performance has dipped off after the last update too (keyboard stutters, unlock lags, etc.) -is this the case for you too?

deathgrunt

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 820 myself for about two years now (well, one and a half - that's for sure) and most of the time (like 97.5%) I can do 36 hours with one charge.

But yes, sometimes it drains down to the floor within a couple of hours... really can't tell you why or how - but it will always fix itself!

Onursari

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My 820 consumes approximately %10 of battery in a hour without doing anything. I tried resetting but it didn't work.It is still the same. I have no idea what I can do. It was better 4 days ago. It started draining suddenly. Can someone give any idea? What could I do? I have cyan update which is the latest update. I tried changing charger too. I have original nokia charger now. It doesn't make any difference.

Nobodykid

May 26, 2013
Visit site
got the same problem here. my Lumia 820 just cant stand continuous usage, like gaming, switching from apps to apps, activated cellular data, which why i must at least charged 2-3 times per day, really the opposite from my previous Lumia 610 which can survive 2-3 days without charging it up

is it because the phone specification, the battery capacity, or maybe because i'm not using nokia BP-5T original battery (bought from friend and used, then checked it dont use the nokia battery)?

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

^^ change your battery to an original one and try. It should give you 8hours minimum unless you're like playing continuously with the mobile

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss