Amoled or IPS... display of 830 really worth the price?

mildor

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I love everything about 830... everything but two things... the price that is a little high, but well... is ok for me, is nokia quality
But the more important thing here is the display... If I'm gonna spend 470 USD (that's the price in my country) in a phone, I want it to havce a good display, in videos amoled display of the lumia 730 and even the IPS display of iphone 6 show more vibrant colors and brighter whites

I'm upgrading from an asha 201 (I used it as p?hone and my ipod 5G as smartphone XD) so... every screen will be good compared to the asha >_<, but compared to other smartphones... well, I don't know
What do you think guys?
Better the 735?

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't know about the 735, but as Fred posted --- blacks are really black (clearblack technology used in the 830) --- similar to the amoled 925 screen. I set my color option to vivid on my 830 and I'm very happy with it. Almost like having a 925 with 5" screen. Very very nice phone and I recommend it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm really picky with this kind of stuff. I find image quality issues distracting that my fiancee doesn't even notice, so take that into account. This is my take on the 830:

Whites are good when looked at straight on. All colors, but particularly white, go off when looked at from any other angle, even very small angles make a difference. Maybe that's what you are seeing.

Blacks are only dark gray. Blacks are comparable to an iPhone, but if you sware by the contrast of AMOLED displays (as I do) you won't be completely satisfied. Color profiles are adjustable so you're flexible in terms of color rendition. You should have no problems getting vibrant colors if you take the time to setup properly. At 5" there is imho nothing to gain from 1080p except bragging rights, lower battery life, and poorer frame rates in apps and games. I consider DPI more than sufficient. Text is clear, sharp and very legible.

It's a good IPS display, for those who like IPS displays.

Last edited:

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Amoled = more contrast, less accurate, burn-in potential

Ips LCD = less contrast, more accurate, no burn-in

I think it's a toss up, depends what qualities you like better.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Amoled = more contrast, less accurate, burn-in potential

Ips LCD = less contrast, more accurate, no burn-in

I think it's a toss up, depends what qualities you like better.

That isn't necessarily the case anymore. The Note 4 has the best screen in terms of color accuracy and they use AMOLED.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I would disagree with that. I'm a photographer (no, I don't use my phone for anything, photography wise, other than some quick snapshots) and I find all amoled (oled) displays to be over saturated, even when some adjustments are used. I much prefer the LCD screens, in general. Much more accurate colors. I have many friends at work with Note 4's and I don't like the screen particularly. They do not display any more accurate colors, still over saturated.

:)
Fred

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
On L735, which has AMOLED screen, blacks are black, and whites are white. Although the common wisdom is that the colours on AMOLED screens are inaccurate because they have a wide colour gamut, and some colours appear overly saturated, the L735 does allow you to adjust the colours so that they are more accurate.

Let's face it, NO current electronic device can display colours accurately as they have a restricted colour space that goes no way near to displaying the range of colours the human eye can see. Rather, some screens show colours less inaccurately than others.

If you never turn your screen off, have it set to maximum brightness, with a static image, then burn ill will occur. With normal use this is not going to happen, and it it does, it will take quite a long time to become apparent, but which time you'll probably be ready to upgrade your phone anyway.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I would disagree with that. I'm a photographer (no, I don't use my phone for anything, photography wise, other than some quick snapshots) and I find all amoled (oled) displays to be over saturated, even when some adjustments are used. I much prefer the LCD screens, in general. Much more accurate colors. I have many friends at work with Note 4's and I don't like the screen particularly. They do not display any more accurate colors, still over saturated.

:)
Fred

*ahem*

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note4_ShootOut_1.htm

Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the Galaxy Note 4 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It matches or breaks new records in Smartphone display performance for: Highest Absolute Color Accuracy, Highest Screen Resolution, Infinite Contrast Ratio, Highest Peak Brightness, Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light, and the smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle. Its Color Management capability provides multiple Color Gamuts ? a major advantage that is not currently provided by any of the other leading Smartphones. The Galaxy Note 4 delivers uniformly consistent all around Top Tier display performance: it is the first Smartphone display to ever get all Green (Very Good to Excellent) Ratings in all test and measurement categories (except one Yellow for a Brightness Variation with Average Picture Level) since we started the Display Technology Shoot-Out article Series in 2006, an impressive achievement for a display. The Galaxy Note 4 has again raised the bar for top display performance up by another notch.

Note: your friends may also have it set to modes that are less accurate, to be fair.

There are also unit variations and manufacturer calibration. I just picked up a 928 to send off to my mom -- I had taken a couple pics with it of our boys and shared them to my 928 -- the screen on hers was waaaay better. Whatever Nokia Display tweaks I tried, I couldn't get it to match. Grrr she got the better display (mine was duller, maybe more green/yellow). :p

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
It's a digital device, so it can't have infinite contrast ratio. To have infinite contrast ratio an infinite number of bits would be required.

Maaaaath

Brightness divide by black level (zero...) equals?

(Well, a better reply would have been "undefined" but in this case "Infinite" works. "Needs more bits" definitely does not.)

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm probably gonna get flak for this, but I'm not a huge fan of AMOLED displays. I've usually found em splotchy when it comes to black screens. I'm not sure how to describe it, but on just a black screen, there appear darker or lighter spots almost as if burnt in. I had to get two 810s replaced, and I've found more than a few threads complaining about the same issue on the PS Vita. Just for peace of mind, I'd be more than happy to nab a non-AMOLED device as I have with my newer Vita. (Whole 'nother headache, for another time/story/thread. (burnt out pixels))

Overall... I don't think the display tech should really sway your answer either way. Both techs are good enough to be happy with. (usually) In your case... since you are upgrading from something decidedly lower tech, I think you'll be happy no matter what you get.

niutu

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Well I'd say it's much lesser quality with blacks and viewing angles than Lumia 925/1020. I actually changed to 930 and prefer its screen.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
With AMOLED you will consume a lot more battery with white. White theme of course, but also websites in general, many apps like Facebook and 6tin etc etc have alot of white. The difference is fairly big. You can find tests from the web about this.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Maaaaath

Brightness divide by black level (zero...) equals?

(Well, a better reply would have been "undefined" but in this case "Infinite" works. "Needs more bits" definitely does not.)

No, this is incorrect. Your arithmetic would work for a device that has just two brightness levels - eg, an old fashioned LCD screen as found on a calculator. On = 1, OFF = 0. 1 / 0 = 0, therefore infinite contrast ratio according to you.

It's the number of brightness levels between the darkest and brightest that matters. To have an infinite contrast ratio, there would have to be an infinite number of brightness levels between the darkest and brightest points.

How dark the darkest level is, and how bright the brightest is do not matter.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Probably easier to do something like Anandtech's scoring on Contrast ratio:

OnePlus One: 960:1
Note 4: 19,983,564,075:1

;)

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
And that is not the number of brightness levels...it is the contrast ratio -- if the black is absolute zero, the division is a complete mess. Depending on how you want to do it, infinite is an acceptable answer.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It's the number of brightness levels between the darkest and brightest that matters. To have an infinite contrast ratio, there would have to be an infinite number of brightness levels between the darkest and brightest points.

You have completely misunderstood what contrast ratio is EBUK. It's exactly what you say it is not:

The contrast ratio is a property of a display system, defined as the ratio of the luminance of the brightest color (white) to that of the darkest color (black) that the system is capable of producing

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrast_ratio
If the luminance of the darkest color is 0 (excluding reflected light) as it is with OLED displays, then the contrast ratio is by definition infinite.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
You have completely misunderstood what contrast ratio is EBUK. It's exactly what you say it is not:

The contrast ratio is a property of a display system, defined as the ratio of the luminance of the brightest color (white) to that of the darkest color (black) that the system is capable of producing

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrast_ratio
If the luminance of the darkest color is 0 (excluding reflected light) as it is with OLED displays, then the contrast ratio is by definition infinite.

Yup. That's correct.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel