[Help] Strongly considering a Windows Phone.

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
After about a year of using my iPhone 5c, I am ready to move on to something bigger and better, and less proprietary. I am strongly considering switching over to a device running Windows Phone 8.1. It makes sense. I use a Windows PC for work, carry a Windows 8 tablet (Asus Vivotab--love the stylus) to meetings, and have a smaller Dell Venue Pro 8 at home for personal use. I am especially excited about Microsoft's recent integration with Dropbox, because I use Dropbox to manage pretty much everything I do. I consider myself a power user, but I mostly browse the web and text with my phone. I do light document productivity on my phone occasionally and I use GPS a lot--I am an emergency manager and grabbing coordinates with my phone is a must . I also use my phone for music--I love Amazon Prime music, which I understand doesn't have a Windows Phone app. I am a longtime AT&T customer and I don't plan to switch carriers.

I've narrowed my choices down to two strong candidates and one "far shot". I like each for different reasons. The Nokia 830 is ahead by a little bit. I like its size, design, and features like wireless charging and expandable memory. I dislike its middling internals--an aging processor and low screen resolution--given that Microsoft has stated that current 8.1 devices will make the upgrade to Windows 10, I have concerns about longevity. And to be honest, I think the price is just a tad high for what you get. If it was $299 or even $349, I'd probably already have one.

The second candidate is the Lumina 1520. I like the phone's chops (it's still among the most powerful Windows 8.1 devices nearly a year after its release). I think the screen size is a double-edged sword: it would be great for surfing and mobile productivity, but it's a beast to lug around. I also see that the phone has very good battery life. I am troubled by the practical usability of a device this large--though I have a LG Tone + headset that would help keep me from holding the giant slab up to my face--and reports of some persistent and troubling manufacturing defects that cause phantom touches, etc. I also hate that AT&T gutted the phone vs. the unlocked international device.

My third option would be to grab an unlocked 930 (in orange of course). This would get me a phone the size of the 830 with the features of the 1520 (minus glance), but I would be losing LTE capability and the data aggregation features. I think I am savvy enough to input all of the network information to get the phone up and running. This is probably my cheapest option, but my biggest hesitation would be the lack of a warranty--which could be mitigated with a squaretrade warranty at additional cost.

One strike against these devices is the lack of waterproof cases--which I actually need because I often work outdoors in inclement weather. I just about lost my iPhone 4S two weeks after purchase to rain damage while doing damage assessment after a storm. A 830 in a case like a Lifeproof fre would be sharp!

I really like what Windows Phone 8.1 has to offer. I like the concept of a live tile that corrals "stuff" from my contacts into one place. I also think Cortana is a great addition to the OS and if I switch to a WP device, I am going to get a Band if I can ever find one. So anyway, I am looking from input from anyone who has made the switch from iOS over to WP and from you who have used both of these devices. I look forward to hearing your comments.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I am especially excited about Microsoft's recent integration with Dropbox, because I use Dropbox to manage pretty much everything I do. I consider myself a power user, but I mostly browse the web and text with my phone. I do light document productivity on my phone occasionally and I use GPS a lot.

The Nokia 830 is ahead by a little bit. I dislike its middling internals--an aging processor and low screen resolution--given that Microsoft has stated that current 8.1 devices will make the upgrade to Windows 10, I have concerns about longevity.

My third option would be to grab an unlocked 930 (in orange of course). This would get me a phone the size of the 830 with the features of the 1520 (minus glance), but I would be losing LTE capability and the data aggregation features. I think I am savvy enough to input all of the network information to get the phone up and running. This is probably my cheapest option, but my biggest hesitation would be the lack of a warranty--which could be mitigated with a squaretrade warranty at additional cost.

One strike against these devices is the lack of waterproof cases--which I actually need because I often work outdoors in inclement weather.

I had a iPad 2 and iPhone 4S before I got my Lumia 1020 so I can give you some info regarding switching from iOS to WP.

I would recommend going for the Lumia 830. Despite the weak processor, it's high in MS' priority list for feature additions. I own a Lumia 1020 with a faster and better processor (despite its age) and more RAM, but a good number of camera improvements are not coming to my phone (even when the Lumia 1020's hardware can handle it). MS is touting the 830 as the affordable flagship, so I guess they'll keep it as feature-packed as the hardware allows. As for the resolution, I think 720p is efficient as well as crisp enough and there is no perceivable difference between 1080p and 720p at 5". My Lumia 1020 with 768p at 4.5" is really nice. And the upcoming Lumia Camera v5 has really nice improvements (comparable to iOS).

Regarding web surfing, I guess Safari mobile on iOS is better than IE mobile on WP. You may want to use it before you think it is OK. (That's because IE is frustrating for me to use.) Since all alternate browsers except Opera Mini are just a wrapper around IE (similar to Safari for iOS), you are stuck with IE everywhere.

If you want a WP, but not some limitations like unavailability of water-proof cases, I would recommend an HTC One (M8) for Windows. Since it has a more popular Android version, you'll find plenty of cases. And it is the most powerful WP out there.

If you absolutely want waterproofing and the HTC One doesn't suffice, get an Xperia or a Galaxy. :)

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I especially appreciate your comments about the camera usage and the web browser performance. These are things that matter to me, so I'll take that into consideration. The 1020 must have a killer camera on it

I have looked at the HTC, and it's a nice piece of kit, but Nokia just makes a great looking phone. Maybe I am getting too hung up on specs and need to look more at the device in terms of functionality. The 830 with an orange Qi charging door would be awesome! Maybe if it sells well, some of the case manufacturer's might show it some love!

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I wrote a review in the Lumia 830 Reviews chat stream, you might want to read through that. You sound like more of a power user than me, but otherwise my situation was similar. iPhone 5 and iPad 2 user here. I also have a Mac Mini and Apple TV, both mainly for streaming my large iTunes music library to the various devices around my home. I am very distressed that Apple's business model seems to be to force you into upgrades by pushing software updates onto devices that can't handle them. I wasn't sophisticated enough to recognize this and now it's too late. iOS 8 slowed down my phone and made my iPad very buggy. OS X Mavericks made the Mac Mini so slow that I have given up on using it for anything but iTunes. Synch of my iPhone with my HP PC running Windows 8.1 is very unpredictable, and I can't back my phone up without wiping the phone, then it backs up a few times and then stops again. AND the phone developed battery problems and Apple wouldn't support them even though my phone was theoretically subject to the recall for just that problem.

A lot of gripes! So I was inspired to look at Windows phones - Android doesn't appeal to me at all. I love the fact that the phone supports an SD card and you can swap batteries. I like the Qi charging. I'm not that worried about always having the latest greatest app, and am not a gamer, so as long as there's something sufficient for my needs, I'm fine. (I wish my bank and American Airlines would get Windows apps, though ...) So far the provided podcast app has been buggy, I may try a 3rd party app. And, I had a problem getting all my music loaded onto the phone, but much of it did, so haven't devoted the time yet to find out why it didn't all load. You'll see in other chats that the capacitative buttons are buggy, and my search button has stopped working. I'm not inclined to take the phone back over that since Cortana has the seem function. But if either of the other two buttons stopped working it would be catastrophic to the phone's operation.

I have been using the phone with a screen protector but no case. Water protection isn't a big deal to me - I live in San Diego, please send us your rain! But I bought my phone at the Microsoft store and they offered me half off the 2-year insurance package which covers breakage and damage, so you might consider that.

Despite the little bug of the search button, I'm really happy with the phone. There's a lot of comment out there about the middling screen and the "old" processor but for my purposes I don't notice any performance issues, and the screen is bright and clear. I really like the tight integration with Office, OneNote, and OneDrive, and I like the consolidated contacts, it works really well. I don't love the appearance of the calendar but haven't played with trying to customize it yet. There are 3rd party apps out there that are more customizable, if I need to go down that path. Finally, I just really like the Windows phone paradigm. iOS was seeming dated and inflexible to me, and I like working with Windows's live tiles better than iOS's icons.

I chose this phone over the 1520 after handling the 1520, because it just isn't pocketable! Even though the 1520 screen is gorgeous and it would almost make my iPad redundant. Again, I live in San Diego, I never wear a jacket and there was no way to port the 1520 around in my pants pocket or shirt pocket. Even the 830 is slightly large for that. And I chose the 830 over the HTC One (M8) because of the camera - HTC's camera is a big wimpy and I was excited to use the Lumia camera software. So far I'm liking the low light sensitivity and clarity of the photos so am happy with my decision there.

I hope this is helpful - good luck!

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Baziluzo

Thanks for the reply. Our usage scenarios sound very similar. Like you, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Apple products. On one hand, the devices are very locked down and don't allow you to "fiddle" as much as Android or probably even WP 8.1. But there's something to be said about having a device that is solid and simple to operate. That being said, I hate the proprietary nature of their ecosystem and I hate that forced obsolesce through updates is part of their business model (though my kids are happily using my old iPad that keeps on ticking!).

Microsoft infuriates me to no end as well. It's like the corporation with no marketing sense and no confidence. Paying the NFL no telling how much to use "the iPad like tool" Surface makes no sense to me. They should take that money and target end users. I'd love to see a commercial showing me how their products benefit me--a short teaser of how the Surface, Windows Phone, and even the Band integrate to make the things I do easier. Highlight Cortana and the things it can do. Microsoft needs to focus on making their products "cool", because Apple wins the day by being a brand that is appealing. That infographic showing most of the new iPhone features were available on Android devices circa 2012 is telling about how Apple dominates even though they are not exactly bleeding edge. No one--Microsoft and Nokia included--are as successful in marrying usability, stability, and sleek hardware like Apple.

I'll be sure to check out your review of the 830. It is becoming the frontrunner based upon the feedback from everyone here. I might hold off until the Fitbit promo ends and see if the price budges downward. I kind of feel like that $349 is a more natural selling price for this device. It will also allow the second production batch to come out and hopefully fix some of the minor issues like the wonky buttons and minor hardware issues.

By the way, I'd happily some rain (and this wind) your direction. You all really need it! Again thanks for your comments!

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm coming from years of Android and I like the WP 8.1 so much better.
Regarding your choices, I've had most of them:
- 1520 is HUGE. All Lumias that I've had feel less "handable" than other phones of the same sized screen. For instance the Samsung S4 (5" screen) just feels better in the hand than the Lumia 830 (also 5" screen).
Also the 1520 had a few problems, which you can find in the 1520 forum. I sent it back

- The 930 is thick, heavy and very slippery to hold along with no removable storage and a non-replaceable battery. Also mine had the common problems found in the 930 forum. Got very hot when used somewhat extensively, like most of the chat apps. Also the screen had the purple bleed issue and the battery life was horrid, so I sent it back.

- 830. I have this phone now and it suits my needs 100%. No problem(s) with it at all. The screen is great. Really can't tell it's "lower" resolution. The blacks a coal black and the whites are snow white. Regarding the processor, I really can't see much, if any, difference between it and the 930 (which I had at the same time, so I could use 'em side by side). The phone does not get hot under use, has expandable storage and a replaceable battery. It also comes with Denim installed. The battery life is much better than the 930 was.
I have the International version (RM-984), unlocked and I think if you look around some you can get them for $400.00 or even a little less now. I'm on AT&T also and the phone works fine, minus LTE, which, for me, is not important at all. I haven't had a phone that had LTE in a while, as I always get the International, unlocked ones for the last few that I've had. My HSPA+ speeds are 12mps +-, which is more than fine.

:)
Fred

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I have one thing to add- you mentioned you disliked the low resolution of the 830.

.... There's no point of hi res on a phone. It drains the battery and taxes the CPU, and for what? It looks slightly better when you're paying real close attention?

Resolution matters even less on WP where everything is straight lines and rectangular.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I think the Lumia 830 is sexy. Would love to get the green one.

The screen on the 1520 is amazing. I would love the big size for Xbox gaming.

You can't go wrong with any of those phones, though I'd probably get the 830. Once you get used to Qi charging, you can't go back.

By the way, I switched from Android and love it. I'll never go back.

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Fred
Your comments are very much appreciated! I've honestly thought about getting the unlocked international version of the 830 from Expansys, but I was hesitant because I was afraid the data speeds would suck and I'd be stuck with it. You're comments make me feel a lot better about this option. I think they have it about $370 without tax...and its available in orange. Hmmm...

Link

I'm not a snob per se when it comes to specs, but I can tell you that the Retina Display of the iPhone 4S was much better than the IPhone 4. However, the ppi on 830, while not best in class, is good enough for me. I don't watch much video on my phone because I have tablets for that.

Coip:

The only experience I have with Android was the "original phablet" the Dell Streak 5. It ran Android 2.2. It was a hot mess--very buggy. I thought the Streak had solid hardware, but I thought the Android implementation was awful. To tell you the truth, I think Android is great if you want to spend a lot of time under the hood tweaking, but sometimes I just want something that works. I think WP is a great medium point between iOS lockdown and Android's plethora of settings and widgets and etc.

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I might hold off until the Fitbit promo ends and see if the price budges downward. I kind of feel like that $349 is a more natural selling price for this device. It will also allow the second production batch to come out and hopefully fix some of the minor issues like the wonky buttons and minor hardware issues.

It appears many people are selling the Fitbit on eBay or Craigslist for $75-80, so that's an option. I'm surrounded by young people and many of them wear the thing so I figured why not? So far it's provided some interesting data. You make a good point about waiting for a second batch of production ... if I decide to get upset about the search button not working, I'll wait till the new year to do so. Good luck!

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I've been doing some research this afternoon concerning the data speeds where I live. What I've found is that in the city where I work, LTE and HSPDA+ are really close to each other in speeds--and slow! And even though I live in a rural area, there's an ATT tower on the mountain behind my house, so I get full service at home. LTE is nearly twice as fast than HSPDA+ here. I wish I was seeing the kinds of speeds you west coasters are!

So I've been doing some figuring. I could get an orange international version for about $365. However, I just got the $10 "hey we screwed up the online Band sales" peace offering from MS. Coupled with a 5% off MS store coupon and cashing in some bing points, I could probably shave the price on the no contract AT&T version down to around $400. Selling the Fitbit brings that cost down more. Trigger finger getting itchy...lol.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
After about a year of using my iPhone 5c, I am ready to move on to something bigger and better, and less proprietary. I am strongly considering switching over to a device running Windows Phone 8.1. It makes sense. I use a Windows PC for work, carry a Windows 8 tablet (Asus Vivotab--love the stylus) to meetings, and have a smaller Dell Venue Pro 8 at home for personal use. I am especially excited about Microsoft's recent integration with Dropbox, because I use Dropbox to manage pretty much everything I do. I consider myself a power user, but I mostly browse the web and text with my phone. I do light document productivity on my phone occasionally and I use GPS a lot--I am an emergency manager and grabbing coordinates with my phone is a must . I also use my phone for music--I love Amazon Prime music, which I understand doesn't have a Windows Phone app. I am a longtime AT&T customer and I don't plan to switch carriers.

I've narrowed my choices down to two strong candidates and one "far shot". I like each for different reasons. The Nokia 830 is ahead by a little bit. I like its size, design, and features like wireless charging and expandable memory. I dislike its middling internals--an aging processor and low screen resolution--given that Microsoft has stated that current 8.1 devices will make the upgrade to Windows 10, I have concerns about longevity. And to be honest, I think the price is just a tad high for what you get. If it was $299 or even $349, I'd probably already have one.

The second candidate is the Lumina 1520. I like the phone's chops (it's still among the most powerful Windows 8.1 devices nearly a year after its release). I think the screen size is a double-edged sword: it would be great for surfing and mobile productivity, but it's a beast to lug around. I also see that the phone has very good battery life. I am troubled by the practical usability of a device this large--though I have a LG Tone + headset that would help keep me from holding the giant slab up to my face--and reports of some persistent and troubling manufacturing defects that cause phantom touches, etc. I also hate that AT&T gutted the phone vs. the unlocked international device.

One strike against these devices is the lack of waterproof cases--which I actually need because I often work outdoors in inclement weather. I just about lost my iPhone 4S two weeks after purchase to rain damage while doing damage assessment after a storm. A 830 in a case like a Lifeproof fre would be sharp!

I really like what Windows Phone 8.1 has to offer. I like the concept of a live tile that corrals "stuff" from my contacts into one place. I also think Cortana is a great addition to the OS and if I switch to a WP device, I am going to get a Band if I can ever find one. So anyway, I am looking from input from anyone who has made the switch from iOS over to WP and from you who have used both of these devices. I look forward to hearing your comments.
what application do you plan to use for getting/sharing gps coordinates, mapping, etc?

the iPhone applications like gaia, motion x, motion x drive, and a few others are pretty mature. not sure if there is one similar for wp yet.

here maps (beta) is extremely limited in online mode even more so offline

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Huge monster to deal with (had one for a short period of time) and they have several problems, the swipe/touch being one of them.
Over all a nice device though, just ridiculously large, as are all Lumia's I've tried. The 830 feels bigger in the hand than say the Samsung Galaxy S4 (which I have also) with the same size screen as the 830 and the 1520 is huge to hold, compared to the Samsung Mega (same sized screen as the 1520). I don't know what it is about the Lumia's, but they are not as "holdable" as some of the other phones. I own and love the 830, so it's not dissing 'em, just stating what I find.

Fred

Fred

I suggest getting a 1520.3
All the pros with none of the cons

WPit

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
what application do you plan to use for getting/sharing gps coordinates, mapping, etc?

the iPhone applications like gaia, motion x, motion x drive, and a few others are pretty mature. not sure if there is one similar for wp yet.

here maps (beta) is extremely limited in online mode even more so offline

How about HERE Drive+ app for Windows Phone 8.x? The best GPS for a phone! With its offline maps, the performance is just like the one of a dedicated GPS for your car, e.g. I have used it in three different countries without a hitch.

Iphones issues (read comments section): iOS 8 and iPhone 6 Maps: Here's What You Need to Know ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Android restrictions: 5 of the best offline GPS maps apps for Android

If you really need a good GPS, get HERE. If you need online (if you have coverage problems eventually, forget the service, you know that of course, just saying) nav., you have plenty of options in the store.

And, my top reasons for suggesting you the L930:

• windows ecosystem
  • beautiful design (830 is less bulky - much better look! Strong plus of the 830!)
  • hey cortana feature (with denim)
  • cost/ benefit

Next year will be big. With W10 phones, we will see competition rise. I'm sure. Your upgrade will be smooth by then.

Last edited:

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

That very question has been in the back of my mind. I am so worried that if I go to Windows Phone, I might not have access to the apps--or even good replacements--to do the things I need. Since the iPhone has such a market share, there are many specialty public safety apps available that I might not have access to on Windows Phone. On my iPhone I use a free app called GPS info to get my lat/longs, and the full versions of Gaia GPS and/or Offline Topo Maps for rough mapping on the go. Are there similar programs available on Windows Phone? I also use some specialty apps like WISER (a hazardous materials app). I need to check that the Windows Phone has the tools I need available before I lock myself into using one. If it doesn't do what I need it to do, it could be a costly mistake.

I know this is a first world problem, so please indulge me. The more I think about Microsoft and the ecosystem they've created and just the way they shoot themselves in the foot all of the time, the less I want a Windows Phone. It's the little things that annoy me. For example, I have Windows 8.1 tablet--an Asus Vivotab 11.6. It has GPS built in. The problem is that only Metro apps can access it. I have some legacy mapping apps that support GPS, but can't use the built in module. It's something to do with the way the sensor modules are handled in Windows 8. It's small misteps like these that frustrate me.

I know Windows Phone has come along way in a relatively short time, but with the resources that Microsoft has at its disposal, it could and should be better. Unless Microsoft can turn out solid phones and get more people to switch, building a user base sufficient to entice 3rd party developers to support the platform, they are doomed. 1st part support can only take you so far. As former Microsoft CEO Steve Balmer infamously said "Developers, developers, developers, developers!"

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I would say your needs are solved by the Xperia line, especially the Z2, Z3 or Z3 compact (especially the Z3 compact since you said you disliked big phones).

However, I myself came back to WP after a long time in Android (using the Xperia Z2 myself), and the new features just blew me away, especially Cortana.

And to answer your question, 830 it is. 1520 sure is nice but I think for your job, smaller is better is it not? Plus the 830 is one good smart phone, can't go wrong with it.

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
How about HERE Drive+ app for Windows Phone 8.x? The best GPS for a phone! With its offline maps, the performance is just like the one of a dedicated GPS for your car, e.g. I have used it in three different countries without a hitch.

If you really need a good GPS, get HERE. If you need online (if you have coverage problems eventually, forget the service, you know that of course, just saying) nav., you have plenty of options in the store.

• windows ecosystem
  • beautiful design (830 is less bulky - much better look! Strong plus of the 830!)
  • cost/ benefit

Next year will be big. With W10 phones, we will see competition rise. I'm sure. Your upgrade will be smooth by then.

WPit,

Does Here Drive+ let you see the lat and long of a point? And does WP let you take a screenshot easily? I work as an emergency management director for a community of about 27,000 in eastern Kentucky. Here's a little usage case study of how I use my phone and GPS. Let's say I get called out to a commercial vehicle accident where the vehicle is leaking product onto the road, necessitating a closure. With my iPhone, I grab a lat/long of the site so I can report the closure to the state emergency operation center. I also pull up Google Maps and drop a pin in the area of the closure and take a screenshot. I post this to my agency's Facebook page with the closure information. It's not high tech, but it helps me get the info out there quickly. Is this something WP can do?

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I would say your needs are solved by the Xperia line, especially the Z2, Z3 or Z3 compact (especially the Z3 compact since you said you disliked big phones).

However, I myself came back to WP after a long time in Android (using the Xperia Z2 myself), and the new features just blew me away, especially Cortana.

And to answer your question, 830 it is. 1520 sure is nice but I think for your job, smaller is better is it not? Plus the 830 is one good smart phone, can't go wrong with it.

I actually looked really hard at the Z3. It is a beast of a device at a good price. I'm just not that crazy about Android, but I could probably adapt just fine...lol. And as I get older, I appreciate a larger screen. I think five inches is the sweet spot between portability and usability. The 830 and the 930 are both about right size wise. The 1520 is just a tad too large, but I could probably get used to it. So many options!

threewulfmoon

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

• windows ecosystem
  • cost/ benefit

Let me explain how I use my phone and GPS on the job and perhaps you or one of the other commenters here can tell if Windows Phone has this capability. To preface this, I work as the emergency management director for a community of about 27,000 in eastern KY. Let's say I get called out to a commercial vehicle accident involving a product that has spilled on the roadway, necessitating a road closure. I would grab the lat/long with my phone and call the incident in to the state Emergency Operation Center because it is a road closure. Next, I might pull up Gaia GPS or Google Maps, drop a pin on the map, and take a screenshot to post on my agency's Facebook page describing the incident and information about the closure. Again, it's not exactly high power cartography, but I need these capabilities. I used Bing Maps on my tablet to help coordinate a ground search over the weekend. It worked great, except the screenshot feature in Windows 8.1 is a pain. I was trying to paste it over into OneNote so I could mark it up with my stylus and it took way too long for what I was trying to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)