1520 or 930? How bad is the 1520 Screen Sensitivity Issue?

perseides

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd recently killed my HTC 8x windows phone after 2 years and looking at a windows phone replacement. I'm interested in either the Lumia 1520 or the 930.... I'm leaning on the 1520 as it has better battery life (which is very important to me) while the 930 has atrocious battery life, from what i read from the forum............

Until I read about the Screen Sensitivity Issue of the 1520.... which seems like a dealbreaker, moreover with nokia not willing/unable to provide a solution for the issues, which likely points to a design/hardware problem.

So I really need suggestion from forumers as of:
1. how prevalence is the Screen Sensitivity Issue issue in the 1520?
2. Is the 930 battery as bad as claimed?? (I'd read its worse than 920??)

Any input is very much appreciated. If both phones does have severe issues.. then I might be force to look into android phones... =(

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
If you can think of a phone that doesn't have problems, I'll give you a pound. If we all held back from buying because of this or that issue, we'd never buy. I'm in the same position as you, wanting to buy one of those two devices, and I've made my choice. Remember that you are also paying for the warranty....use it if it proves necessary. :)

The pound, by the way, was an imaginary one.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, you can't tell how bad or how many etc from forum posts. For one thing, a MUCH higher percentage of people with a problem will search out and post on forums than the people who just buy a product and use it.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
It's manageable but annoying at times. It goes out like crazy a few times but sometimes, I go for days without experiencing the issue.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'd recently killed my HTC 8x windows phone after 2 years and looking at a windows phone replacement. I'm interested in either the Lumia 1520 or the 930.... I'm leaning on the 1520 as it has better battery life (which is very important to me) while the 930 has atrocious battery life, from what i read from the forum............

Until I read about the Screen Sensitivity Issue of the 1520.... which seems like a dealbreaker, moreover with nokia not willing/unable to provide a solution for the issues, which likely points to a design/hardware problem.

So I really need suggestion from forumers as of:
1. how prevalence is the Screen Sensitivity Issue issue in the 1520?
2. Is the 930 battery as bad as claimed?? (I'd read its worse than 920??)

Any input is very much appreciated. If both phones does have severe issues.. then I might be force to look into android phones... =(

My phone has it consistently. I just received a replacement. We will see if it has the same issues. I'm assuming a good amount of the phones have the issues. Who knows though.

valeriolucciola

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I tried the L1520 and returned it within the two week return window. I really wanted to love it but between the screen sensitivity and ghost tap issues it was unmanageable. I babied that thing too with no noticeable change. With my 920, anytime I pick it up, it works. With the 1520, it frequently failed to work when I needed it.

JJanner

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I've enjoyed my 1520 on AT&T since February, 2014. I've replaced it under warranty four times for this problem. Current phone however has been okay since August, with some recent appearance of the tap vs. swipe problem. In my case the ghost tap problem seemed to be facilitated by my switching to the Belkin flip cover case sold by AT&T. Switched back to previous case upon receipt of last warranty replacement in August and so far no ghost tap problem.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Had mine for 8 months... Get the odd ghost tap but once I wipe my phone with a babywipe and dry it with kitchen towels then its no problems for a good few days... And it never really tapped.. More of a jutter...only last a second or 2. I would get the 1520 over the 930 due to glance screen and more importantly you get an SD card slot

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It's the only annoying attribute of the 1520, and otherwise I find this phone to be the most enjoyable of any Lumia I've owned. As such, I've learned to ignore it.

I find the issue is more common if my fingers are cold or damp/greasy. I mitigate it by wiping my fingers off, and using more deliberate tap/swipe gestures, ie. long swipe instead of flicking.

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
i have a 1520 with 8.1 update 1 and running developer's preview on att. have had no issues. micro-fiber wipe when needed.
not all 1520s have the issue. from what i understand it may also be happening because of the way it's carried.
front facing in while in a pocket as opposed to front facing out while in a pocket. AND, it seems to be more pronounced when
carried in the front pocket

jodeltje

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes the batterylife of the 930 is terrible.
The ghost touch issue is VERY prevalent, when it's there, it'll be very frustrating.

I wouldn't recommend any of those 2 phones to friends, especially the 1520.
I'm on my third 1520, read the thread, a lot of people have exchanged their units, and eventually learn to life with it, or switch phones.
I keep coming back because I love the form factor + Windows Phone, but the screen issues are non excusable. Bend the phone, or apply force the wrong way, and you've broken the touch screen, and you will be experiencing ghost touches sadly.

I'd say, wait for 935/1525

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
The ghost touch issue is VERY prevalent, when it's there, it'll be very frustrating.

I'm on my third 1520, read the thread, a lot of people have exchanged their units, and eventually learn to life with it, or switch phones.
I keep coming back because I love the form factor + Windows Phone, but the screen issues are non excusable. Bend the phone, or apply force the wrong way, and you've broken the touch screen, and you will be experiencing ghost touches sadly.

Maybe for you.

I'll take the other stance:

1520 was great with the odd touch issue. Easily reset because of the large digitizer by pressing on top and bottom of screens if an issue came up.

930 has decent battery life and lasts just as long as any phone I've owned of this size. I've owned 120 phones so I have a lot to compare to.

I'd recommend both phones with my preference on the 1520.

MohitKJain

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I have been using a 1520 for almost 6 months now. I don't use any case, and carry it in front pocket. Ghost touch issue is definitely there, but it's not as frequent that it would render the handset useless or make it annoying.

jodeltje

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Easily reset because of the large digitizer by pressing on top and bottom of screens if an issue came up.

Yeah, just bend your phone back before use. No issue at all :/
I am willing to live with it, but that doesn't mean I will recommend it to other people, I recommend phones without hardware defects.. And there are plenty of those to choose from.

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, just bend your phone back before use. No issue at all :/
I am willing to live with it, but that doesn't mean I will recommend it to other people, I recommend phones without hardware defects.. And there are plenty of those to choose from.

No. You make it sound like it is an issue for everyone all the time. It was not that for me. Other people are very happy with the device and recommend it. I am one of those.

Shiranui2012

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

I have had both the 930 and the 1520 and did away with them, there's no excuse for either handset to have the issues, not with the technology available today or at the time these two models were released to the public.
But as I still like Windows Phone 8 I'll probably buy a Samsung Ativ S. But no more Nokia for me.

Joaquim Reis

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Well i have a lumia 1520 like for eight months now and i would recomend it without a doubt. Yes i have the screen sensivity bug, but it happens only once or twice a day, not everytime i use my phone (as some people seem to want to say). As for the ghost tap, i dont have it.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1520.3 and recommend it to others but make sure to tell them about this issue so they can research and decide for themselves. The one I have now doesn't have any problems but the first one I had did and had to be returned. But even if neither had a problem or both did, its no indication of others will be any more than getting two heads in a row in coin toss means all other tosses will be heads.

nyjets12

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I got a 1520 for almost 3 months now and have no Screen Sensitivity Issue . not sure about battery life sometime it lasts 1 day sometimes 3 days , I seen on different forums people say it lasts 4 days I guess if you don't use it it will lasts 4 days, if you use it it lasts 1 day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6