Lumia 930 vs 830 camera comparison - need help!

Marcelino Caze

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello, all! My first post here.

I had a Lumia 720 about one year ago. I absolutely adored the pictures i took with it, but WP8 was still lacking as an reliable OS and I decided to switch back to Android. Now that WP 8.1 is here, things seem to have progressed well and I?m considering getting a Lumia again, specially because of the camera quality, which I think is not a match for any Android, except S5 maybe.

Due to black friday, i can get a 930 for only a few more money than the 830. Problem is, I spent the last 24h extensively looking for photo comparisons between the two phones, and to my surprise I came to like 830's pictures much more. They seem to be sharper and clearer, which is a personal preference, while the 930's seem to be too soft. I know Denim update is coming. My question is: do you think the update alone is going to improve 930's "softness"? I?m afraid of not getting the 930 because of it, seeing as it is a better phone overall, just to see an improvement when Denim comes and then regretting not buying the 930.

What do you think? Should I risk and get something I?m not really impressed with right now, or go for the 830 and not look back? Any input will be welcome!

Thanks in advance!

wpfan1995

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Short advice in points-
1.Obviously,Lumia 930 has better specs than Lumia 830 as it is a high-end phone.
2.When its come to camera clearity,I personally think that Lumia 930 has true colour tone and better sharpness than Lumia 830.
3.And finally,Yes "Lumia Denim" firmware makes some camera improvements and performance better(faster),Based on your location firmware updates will be rolled out through your mobile carrier.

Here are some links that will help you to decide yourself.(I personally recommend to buy Lumia 930.)
Lumia Denim Features Start Rolling Out to Lumia 930 - Softpedia
O2: Lumia Denim update for most devices not expected until early 2015 | Windows Central
A closer look at Rich Capture, the best feature on Lumia Camera | Windows Central

Marty89

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
It's not about broken auto mode but aperture. 830 has better aperture f2.2, 930 has f2.4. You can get great results with 930 too, but you have to try harder than with 830 or 920.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
i tried 930, has a purple hue in lowlight. And its grainy. I cant see where its better than 830.
But maybe we should wait for both devices using Lumia Camera v5 plus Denim. In the moment, you cant really compare the two hence the fact 930 hasnt got Denim.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Camera on the 830 is no slouch. Yes, 930 has better specs. I have the 830. One issue that I see is that artificial light conditions such as lamps, overhead lights can really affect its performance.

arnark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I had 920 and now 930 and I can tell you that 930 takes way way sharper and better pictures in daylight and lowlight than 830 can ever take. You have to think about that 830 has denim and that makes alot of diffrence when it comes to take pictures in "automode" . Yes if you take pictures in automode you would think that 830 takes way better low light pictures ,but that is how oz progress the pictures (denim) which makes them look so good. Given the price diffrence I think it's a no brainer in my books at least. Not only for the pictures but also the specs wise. I would also advice you to take a look at the pictures in the pictures forums 830 and 930 .

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-930/286159-pics-videos-taken-your-lumia-930-a.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-830/315406-pictures-videos-taken-your-lumia-830-a.html

arnark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I actually saw every single picture on those threads. I agree 930's pictures look better overall, but 830's are sharper and more appealing to me. Hard to explain, I guess.

it's because of the Denim mostly at least. It's the same with the Iphone and 830 (denim) they take GREAT auto pictures, it's cause of the OS. The colors and everything look great. But keep in mind 930 will get Denim and 4k video which i'm really looking forward too but 830 won't have it ever .

For those who have 830 I'm not talking down the phone , it's a great phone with great build .But I just feel like with the price diffrence it's doesn't really compare. Given the specs...

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
its better only because the Auto mode is seriously broken. if you tweak just a little bit of the imaging properties then L930 beats 830 and 920(which low-light picturing was a strong selling point.)

Depends on what you mean by "low light", and what the subject is (ie, is tweaking possible).

Fwiw, I have the 929 which does NOT have Cyan - that was rumored to bring better low light ability. That being said, in dim indoor light, to extreme low light (like one night light illuminating your kids), it sucks versus my 928. Straight up sucks. Low ISO. High ISO. Long exposures. Doesn't matter. Dim, grainy, noisy, bandy colorless shots.

Tweaking? With a 4 year old and 1 year old? AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Daylight shots are great. Reframing is phenomenal. Regular indoor light is fine.

But dim indoor light...I dunno. I haven't used the 830, but it certainly seems more like an evolution of the 920.

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
930 photos too much (inbuild) noise reduction filters, yes it will less grain but made the photos not sharp. Still its sensor and pixels still better than 830 but its inbuild noise reduction filters made the image looks soft.

in other hand, 830 not coming with (inbuild) noise reduction filters, make its photos sharp, bring more detail but more grain.

I think it's not about Denim update, 930 just get the inbuild noise reduction filters and 830 not.

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Inbuild reduction filters??? Source?

it's easy to see that
check this 930 vs 830 comparison Lumia 930 and Lumia 830 PureView camera hands-on | NokNok.tv
click the image to download full resolution and zoom maks then compare it
it will clear that 930 pass the inbuild noise reduction and 830 not

hands down if the inbuild noise reduction for 930 will be better when denim update coming but I'll be sure if the inbuld noise reduction for 930 got remove, the image will more sharp than 830

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss