Is the icon still a good buy?

Kylethekool

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm considering buying either and icon or one M8 for Verizon. I really love the camera in the icon but I'm concerned that it won't receive any more updates. Suggestions?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

qa_ninja

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
if you're stuck on verizon, then the Icon is the best bet. No matter what phone you get, verizon will be.... verizon and slow the updates :(.

Only reason I would avoid an Icon is if you're hesitant to buy it used (since most Verizon stores don't carry it new anymore, you're limited on where you can get it brand new)

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
My advice to you is whatever you do, do not lock yourself into another contract with Verizon. Their WP support is horrible! Not to mention that they're overrated and overpriced.

yihong kang

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I just bought an icon from ebay for $220 to replace my 928. I am still waiting for the real flagship phones, this year's line up is just so disappointing.
I think for $200, it is a great buy. Even if Verizon really stop supporting icon and something really new come out next year, you can easily sell the icon for $100 or keep it as a back up phone.

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
(since most Verizon stores don't carry it new anymore, you're limited on where you can get it brand new)

I was in my local VZN Corp Store two nights ago ... to connect to their free WiFi so I could FINALLY download the 8.0 OS update that the phone has been bugging me to download for three months!
Anyway ... I was SHOCKED to see an black ICON on display - with two in stock!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My advice to you is whatever you do, do not lock yourself into another contract with Verizon. Their WP support is horrible! Not to mention that they're overrated and overpriced.

Hey, I just renewed my contract with Verizon a couple weeks ago! The reason is that I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, and I want to be under contract to reduce the chance of them getting rid of it. I bought an iPhone 6 on contract, and I'm in the process of selling it. I'll net several hundred dollars, which I'll use to buy the phone I want.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it and the M8 are likely the only phones that will run windows 10 decently when it comes out. The camera is top notch and the build quality is miles above anything else currently offered. With that said, there are a ton of little bugs and glitches with this phone. My wife's has sketchy wifi, especially 5ghz, and my mother has the delayed power button issue. I would pick up a used/refurb on ebay/craigslist for $220-$250 and then wait out the next flagship.

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone heard any rumors about what Microsoft Lumia phone will take over the Icon. since the Icon has been retired from Verizon I would think there would be something soon to take its place.

asmac17

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
If anyone is interested I'm selling my Icon with two cases and a green 930 back. I've tried to sell it on ebay twice but the person who won both times was fraudulent and got banned..frustrating

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've tried to sell it on ebay twice but the person who won both times was fraudulent and got banned..frustrating

I've found that listing an item with Buy it Now as the only purchase option, and requiring immediate payment, works well to prevent non payers. The problem with that is that it's not a guaranteed sale like an auction (almost) is.

I've sold over 60 phones on eBay, most of them auction with the Buy it Now option. I'd guess that somewhere around 25% sell on Buy it Now, the other 75% going to the highest bidder. I believe I've had one or two winners not pay, but that's it.

JohnVes

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it and the M8 are likely the only phones that will run windows 10 decently when it comes out. The camera is top notch and the build quality is miles above anything else currently offered. With that said, there are a ton of little bugs and glitches with this phone. My wife's has sketchy wifi, especially 5ghz, and my mother has the delayed power button issue. I would pick up a used/refurb on ebay/craigslist for $220-$250 and then wait out the next flagship.

Now heres the big question. Were the problems you've experienced with the DP? I've seen all kinds of compliants about issues with the DP, but a DP is almost guaranteed to have issues with it.

I'm interested in purchasing a used one as well. If all is relatively fine with the 8.0 Black then I can wait to get the OTA from Verizon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss