I don't like capacitive buttons!

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Alright I love my Icon. I wouldn't trade it for anything except for maybe the HTC. However, I can see the point of why the iPhone only has one button and that it's physical. On the iPhone I can one-hand everything and not worry about accidentally triggering anything. But a lot of times, I will accidentally hit the back button or the search button on the Icon. The other day I was trying to one-hand take a picture while driving. Total fail. I kept getting out of the camera app by accidentally either to go back to the start screen or to Cortana. I had a workaround where I flip the phone upside down but some apps won't work like that. I would love a phone with a physical bottom row. Anyway, this problem afflicts both Windows Phone and Android. I don't like the iPhone much but that physical button gets praise from me.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree that one-handed operation of the Icon or any other phone with capacitive buttons is harder than a phone with physical buttons. I'm always hitting the search button by accident.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I hate capacitive button too, but I also hate physical button just like on iPhone, it ruins the appearance. On screen button is perfect for me, just get rid of it whenever it gets in your way.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Alright I love my Icon. I wouldn't trade it for anything except for maybe the HTC. However, I can see the point of why the iPhone only has one button and that it's physical. On the iPhone I can one-hand everything and not worry about accidentally triggering anything. But a lot of times, I will accidentally hit the back button or the search button on the Icon. The other day I was trying to one-hand take a picture while driving. Total fail. I kept getting out of the camera app by accidentally either to go back to the start screen or to Cortana. I had a workaround where I flip the phone upside down but some apps won't work like that. I would love a phone with a physical bottom row. Anyway, this problem afflicts both Windows Phone and Android. I don't like the iPhone much but that physical button gets praise from me.

Uh...WHY were you trying to take a picture while driving? Shouldn't you be worrying about driving? Just sayin'...

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
you guys can't see the forest for the trees. the message isn't about driving and taking pictures. it's about how easy it is to hit the capacitive buttons.

I wouldn't mind seeing an option to disable the search button, especially when Cortana gets the ability to activate search by voice. It's way too easy. This is one of the times I agree with Paul Thurrott and Mary Jo Foley.

in two-hand mode, it's easy to avoid the buttons. But Windows Phone can be hard to use one-handed.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
But Windows Phone can be hard to use one-handed.

Yep, I agree, and with the Icon the capacitive buttons are on the absolute bottom edge of the phone, most of the other WP's have a little more "chin" area to grip one handed. I think the button placement should be re-thought to make it easier to use one-handed, or just go to gestures like BlackBerry's BB 10 OS.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
you guys can't see the forest for the trees. the message isn't about driving and taking pictures. it's about how easy it is to hit the capacitive buttons.

I wouldn't mind seeing an option to disable the search button, especially when Cortana gets the ability to activate search by voice. It's way too easy. This is one of the times I agree with Paul Thurrott and Mary Jo Foley.

in two-hand mode, it's easy to avoid the buttons. But Windows Phone can be hard to use one-handed.

The main point is, don't complain about sth when you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.. The world has enough deaths by traffic accidents... and the 520 is great for one-handed use :winktongue:

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
The main point is, don't complain about sth when you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.. The world has enough deaths by traffic accidents... and the 520 is great for one-handed use :winktongue:

Now you're just being petulant. It would be like the guy writing a thesis and you're checking punctuation

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Now you're just being petulant. It would be like the guy writing a thesis and you're checking punctuation

I wouldn't say so.. Manufacturers have been building in voice control and special driving modes, so that people who are driving, can keep their hands on the wheels and eyes on the road.........

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Actually, it would appear you can't see the burning forest. Regardless of the OP's point, the example given was reckless and also illegal many places. If one chooses to complain that you can't do something you shouldn't do, people have a right to express some ridicule. This is pretty much the equivalent of posting that one doesn't like the feel of the trigger on their gun because it makes Russian roulette clumsy,

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

You do know that in order to get a thesis approved at any US university, someone does need to check the punctuation? The coherence of an argument is not just based upon an idea but also the thought behind it and the presentation of it. In this case though a closer analogy would be telling someone that writing a thesis on the sociological impacts of gang activity in New Mexico and including a chapter on one's personal experience running drugs, burying bodies, etc., is probably not a good idea.

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I was trying to one-hand take a picture while driving. Total fail.

I nominate you for the Darwin Awards.

You may find it easier to hit the buttons if you're not looking at the road conditions ahead as you should be doing when driving. You might as well say that the steering wheel is in the wrong place because you can't drive properly when using the phone!

Seriously, if you are used to the way the iPhone works, then of course it will be difficult to use the Lumia - retrograde amnesia: past learning interferes with new. I find the iPhone difficult to control (even when not driving) because I'm used to the way WP works. And I used to find WP difficult because I was used to Android.

Use WP more, and you'll soon get used to it.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, then just get HTC One M8 or Lumia 730. I like capacitive buttons and so do many other people. Just because you have a problem with them doesn't mean everyone should be forced to get rid of them.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey, went from a 22min ride, to about an 1:15 to work each day....I see a LOT of fender benders(and sit in the traffic for it) and I have a collection of photos from them (that I can get from my car)....Yep, always watching the road and blindly taking a picture...

Some interesting stuff I got..

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Reason aside, accidental hitting of the search button is the #1 thing I don't miss now I have an M8. It's bloody annoying and on screen controls fixed it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786