Can Ativ S be upgraded without infinite loop ?

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Did somebody manage to update his Ativ S running Developer Preview with today release without the infinite loop issue ?

t333to

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, I read somewhere that one guys phone actually updated without the eternal loop. I'm not sure which OS version he was before.

AK7777

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
When I upgraded to the latest DP, my Ativ S bootet normaly. Cortana didn't show up in the app list and there was no option in the settings to activate it (even changing Region, languange etc. to US wasn't successfull, this worked before the update).

I decided to do a hard reset.

Since I had the camera bug and didn't receive the latest firmware, I changed my CSC from XEF to ATO (the firmware was reported to be deployed in Austria) and then hard reseted the phone. After the restart the tile of Cortana was there. I searched for an update and got it. After the install my phone was starting with a Black screen with a blue windows logo (before it was the blue screen with a white logo) which means that I got the latest firmware from Samsung. Unfortunatly now reboot loop and I have to flash it to GDR3 (I hope I will get the regular WP 8.1 at least since DP will not work for me till an Update from MS is released).

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Folks with the GT-I8750 variant are advised to refrain from updating to the latest Dev Preview for that very reason.. I'd advise you to wait for official fix from Microsoft or official update from Samsung.

SatanWantYou

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I hope microsoft will die in hell with their useless buggy software...i hope my phone get cracked before my garranty finish...to refund my money and get an android :D...and don't tell me that its not microsoft fault...they need to make a compatible update with all firmwares...you mean its hard to do that?android how its doing?i was supporting windows phone ...but now that days was gone...i will not advice someone to but windows phone...its a crappy phone...microsoft don't care...now that's no more nokia...no more buyers haha...yes i'm a ******* rager...i don't care...

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I hope microsoft will die in hell with their useless buggy software...i hope my phone get cracked before my garranty finish...to refund my money and get an android :D...and don't tell me that its not microsoft fault...they need to make a compatible update with all firmwares...you mean its hard to do that?android how its doing?i was supporting windows phone ...but now that days was gone...i will not advice someone to but windows phone...its a crappy phone...microsoft don't care...now that's no more nokia...no more buyers haha...yes i'm a ******* rager...i don't care...

Dude, the developer preview is optional. This is beta releases for developers in mind, not for everyone even though anyone can get it. Microsoft warns that using the dev preview void warranty etc because they know there's a potential for issues. Microsoft is not responsible for OEM specific device firmware. They are responsible for the core OS. So you rant on Microsoft is uncalled for bruh. Those of us that registered and accepted the terms and agreements when signing up for the developers preview knew there was gonna be risks involved.

SatanWantYou

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Dude, the developer preview is optional. This is beta releases for developers in mind, not for everyone even though anyone can get it. Microsoft warns that using the dev preview void warranty etc because they know there's a potential for issues. Microsoft is not responsible for OEM specific device firmware. They are responsible for the core OS. So you rant on Microsoft is uncalled for bruh. Those of us that registered and accepted the terms and agreements when signing up for the developers preview knew there was gonna be risks involved.

I don't wanna fight with you because you "LIKE" microsoft but...why 70% people don't know anything about developer?Only real developers with some knowledge should get it not everybody...dont tell me that microsft dont know that...if you have a company and knew that are a lot of noobs on your developer application don't make it easy to get...its very easy...no more noobs no more complains..so hard? PEACE.

t333to

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, with Lumia phones this is not a problem as they have that Software recovery tool that automatically installs the latest firmware and saves the phone. But with phones of other OEMs this is a major problem, luckily ATIV S is hacked and there are some FW's floating around and users can fix the phone but ATIV S is the only known exception... MS will need to offer the Software recovery tool to all the OEMs so even non-Lumias will have this secure option of auto firmware refresh.

t333to

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
It's important to understand precisely the device model. Maybe he has an Ativ S Neo or SE or another variant ...

Yes I know, so here's what I found out.

He had Samsung 8.1.1 update, his current About section:
kNSFeFe.jpg

BUT he didn't have an SD card inserted when updating - so SD card could be the source of the problem here.

So did you guys SD card in or not? Anyone ready to gamble?

TecmanGR

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have an sd card on my Ativ S when updated and I still got the loop problem. So I don't see that affecting the process.

SvT_AnToIn3

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys. I heard people were able to revert their software version back to WP8 with the Ativ S. Is there a solution out there for the Ativ S Neo SGH-i187?

Thanks

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't wanna fight with you because you "LIKE" microsoft but...why 70% people don't know anything about developer?Only real developers with some knowledge should get it not everybody...dont tell me that microsft dont know that...if you have a company and knew that are a lot of noobs on your developer application don't make it easy to get...its very easy...no more noobs no more complains..so hard? PEACE.

Again, you misunderstanding the purpose of it all. Take for instance the Windows 10 Technical Preview..while it is intended for devs and those with extensive knowledge on how to troubleshoot issues, they (Microsoft) made it available for anyone to get the bits. This is not a finished product that is universally ready for the masses. This is strictly "optional". No one is forcing anyone to use these previews. If some thing goes wrong then you can't just blame MS. You were the one that accepted the risk when you chose to use the preview. Again, Microsoft is not responsible for OEM device specific firmware. That is strictly up to the OEMs. And further more, it's not about me liking Microsoft. It's just wrong to blame MS for risks that you yourself opted to take upon yourself when they specifically warned that this will void your warranty etc..

AK7777

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
to tofmin: I had the firmware 2424.13.5.1 when I installed the update. Cortana did only show up after a hard reset and there was no rebout loop till I installed the update for firmware 2424.14.9.3.
Don't know if the "problem" is the Samsung firmware, in any case it's clear that both don't work together...

tofmin

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Thanks for warning. Don't change csc, don't install new Samsung firmware. Must wait for new update from MS or Samsung. Roger that.

Er_em

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi to everyone :) as many of you, I got the infinite loops bug so i went back to gdr3 and i updated all over again. Now my phone has WP 8.1 Update 1 but i can't find the update for Cortana anymore. I tried to change my CSC, first ATO and then ITV but nothing. Is the fact that the update disappeared normal? Did they retired the update for Ativ s?

Mirakle

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi to everyone :) as many of you, I got the infinite loops bug so i went back to gdr3 and i updated all over again. Now my phone has WP 8.1 Update 1 but i can't find the update for Cortana anymore. I tried to change my CSC, first ATO and then ITV but nothing. Is the fact that the update disappeared normal? Did they retired the update for Ativ s?

I was wondering the same thing. My OS version is 14203.306 and firmware is 2424.14.9.3
The phone (PfD mode) cannot seem to find the update at all.

I tried the two following CSC: ATO and XEF. I checked my appstudio account and even registered it again as a dev phone through the registering application from the WP8 SDK. I tried to install the PfD wp application again.

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
why would you install the same update again if you know that the infinite loop will be happening again? Whats the logic behind this? 1st install fail, 2nd install win? I dont get it... :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb