My screen is frozen and I cant shut down, how do I solve this?

Dawson Ridenhour

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
My windows HTC One M8 has completely frozen, I can hear when someone calls or texts me but i can not interact with the screen it is currently 9:42pm est and my screen has been frozen since 9:02pm. Is there any shut down or anything I can do to solve this? All the normal resets do not work since the screen refuses to work. Any suggestions?

Jesse Sasso

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried a hard shutdown? Hold power button and Volume Up for at least 15 seconds. Happens occasionally on my 929, and this solves the issue every time.

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My phone just encounter this problem. Its frozen at the lockscreen and nothing can unlock or unfreeze it. I tried Power and Volume and still failed. I called HTC, and they asked me to wait until the battery runs out and check again. This is seriously frustrating. I had to deal with overheating issue before, and now the replacement phone has this frozen screen problem that can't be reset? Seriously???

Stryfeno1

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
This happens with my Lumia 920 periodically. I have to hard reset the phone once or several time to get it to work. So frustrating.

Maria Narvaez

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much!! Your advice worked on my htc m8! an app I was playing had crashed my phone and it froze while shutting down. Many thanks :)

Bill Berry

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Mine did it tonight; power and volume down at the same time! On my device I have a SanDisk Class 10 64GB micro SD card and it's a finicky card and often won't play nice when formatted and in fact the only way I've been able to format the card is via my M8W; my laptop can't do it no matter what app I use to make the attempt. So double check your microSD if you're using one. I make it a rule to do a hard reset just to make sure after an update, everything is okay. Take care!

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
What is being suggested is more commonly referred to as a "soft reset", a hard reset is when you can get into the phone and you choose to do a full (hard) reset which wipes the device. But the description of a hard reset in this instance is quite accurate too in many ways, it's just not referred to it that way generally. I only point this out in case you ask for help later and are confused if someone says a soft or hard reset is in order.

Windows geek

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
Here is how to fix Laptop Won’t Shutdown Problem In Windows 10.
First of all, click on the Windows icon and when it expands out, click on the Settings app.
When the Settings app opens up, click on the System option.
Find the option Power & sleep from the left pane of the System window. Now in the right window pane, look for a link that says Additional power settings and click on it.
A separate window named Power Options opens up. You need to find and click on the link that says Choose what the power buttons do from the left window pane as shown in the screenshot given below.
If you scroll down through the window that gets opened up, you will be able to see that the Shutdown settings are greyed out. To ungrey them,you need to click on the link that says Change settings that are currently unavailable. If you have any doubts, refer to the following screenshot.
Now the Shutdown settings will be ungreyed. Uncheck the check box corresponding to the option that says Turn on fast startup (recommended). That’s it. Hit the Save changes button and you can exit.
Source:- Fix Laptop Won't Shutdown Problem In Windows 10

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs