Anyone get their BLU Win HD working on Metro PCS?

The Arsonist

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Just grabbed up two Blu Win HDs yesterday and I'm unable to get either phone to connect to the MetroPCS Network. I've swapped the Micro SIMs from the existing Lumia 521s over to the SIM 2 Slot on the Win HDs and they won't get reception (no bars, no calls, and no Internet when I turn the Wi-Fi off). I tried manually setting the network to Metro PCS (which does appear when I select "Search for Networks" in the "Cellular + SIM" Settings), but it will not get bars or service.

For laughs, I took the SIM out of my Lumia 925 on T-Mobile and popped it in, the device had bars right away, I just had to enter the Internet and MMS APN (which should be the same on Metro and T-Mobile) and all the features were working properly. I tried a couple different APNs since there's some conflicting info out there about which APNs Metro uses now that they're linked up with T-Mobile. Here's the config I believe to be correct but isn't working:

Internet APN
APN: Fast.t-mobile.com
User name:
Password:
Authentication type:
Proxy server (URL):
Proxy port:
IP type: IPv4

MMS APN
APN: Fast.t-mobile.com
User name:
Password:
Authentication type:
WAP gateway (URL):
WAP gateway port:
MMSC (URL): mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMSC Port: 80
Maximum MMS size:<blank>
IP Type: IPv4

Do this look correct?

I've seen user reviews on Microsoft Store and Amazon saying people are using it on Metro. I'm going to give a call to BLU's support line and see if they have any insight. Something tells me a trip to the T-Mobile store is going to be a pain since I'm using an unlocked phone, so their reps aren't going to be getting a commission off my visit and there's also still this weirdness about Metro and T-Mobile not exactly being the same company... I have a feeling that it might be there SIM cards (they got them RIGHT after Metro got bought up, the SIM cards aren't even branded). I'm not even sure if T-Mobile stores will issue Metro PCS SIM Cards though. We'll see if that's required but I hope not.

Last edited:

The Arsonist

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, a Metro PCS store would be the obvious choice (pardon me for leaving this part out) but I have a T-Mobile Store practically in my backyard. The closest Metro store is about a half hour or more away (just moved to a new state, so I lost that convenience) and I can say my experiences at Metro vs T-Mobile have been polar opposites. I've had to stop in the T-Mobile here in my new city and they've been helpful but I know it all comes down to which T-Mo rep is free when I get there. I used to go to the Metro PCS Commercial store in NJ (there are none in the Phoenix area, my new location) because they could actually assist with issues when I visited the store were they always rude! I won't get into all the details of the headaches we had with them. Their standalone "authorized resellers" are usually even more useless and typically less knowledgeable. They just call the 800 number when they have problems, I don't need to waste gas to have them do that.

Hopefully the T-Mobile store can get it worked out if no one can recommend anything else. The Metro "authorized resellers" are my last option, but I'm hoping it won't come to that.
Thanks for the input.

The Arsonist

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Sure!

Care to share what you've tried so far? Might be able to figure it out without their involvement. I'm thinking I might call Blu Support (1 (877) 602 8762) if I get a free moment at work. Trying to make carrier involvement the last step.

The Arsonist

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't able to call Blu in time, but I was able to call my local T-Mobile store. Of course, they're "an express corporate store" so they don't handle Metro PCS at this location. :asleep:

Looks like I'm going to need to call Metro's Phone Support. If that doesn't work, then I'll have to call an authorized reseller in the area. We'll see what happens... But these might be going back...

The Arsonist

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok. Looks like I've got good news to report. I HAD to call into Metro PCS' Phone Support and luckily, they got it all figured out. I'll try to detail this for any future instances.

1) Call their support number (888-8METRO8). Once the automated system starts blabbing, say "Switching My Phone."
2) Say "Troubleshooting." This will connect you with a Live Rep
3) They will take you through the usual account verification (phone number, name, account PIN, etc)
4) Let them know you are switching to an unlocked Windows Phone 8 device with Dual SIM trays
5) They will request your IMEI number of your new device (on the box or included sticker inside the box). IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are using a Micro SIM card, give them IMEI 1 (for tray 1). If you are using a Full Sized SIM, give them IMEI 2 (for tray 2).
6) They will request your SIM number, located on the face of your SIM card. My SIMs had 3 lines of number (with the exception of one letter), they only needed the first two lines of my SIM number.
7) Wait for them to give you the green light, then insert your SIM, battery, and SD card (if present). Close up your phone and boot it up.
8) Your phone should alert you that your Data Connection is Off. Select "Settings" from that warning and turn the data connection on.
9) Try making a Phone Call and a basic text message (SMS).
10) If those succeed, go back into your Settings and select "cellular +SIM." Add the Internet APN and MMS APN information listed above (I confirmed they work).

I feel like such a noob for not knowing that you MUST call Metro PCS to activate their devices, even with the T-Mobile joint venture in place. I've never had to do that with my T-Mobile account and unlocked Nokia phones (previously had an N900 and N9 before my Lumia 925).

Hope this helps any other new unlocked Windows Phone users on Metro PCS. Enjoy!

Last edited:

The Arsonist

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
It seems to mostly get 3G or H+. Since this is an unlocked device, the Signal verbiage is a tad different. I'm not sure if "3G" is the 24Mbps HSPA network or the old school 3G (I think it was AWS for T-Mobile). Truth is they're usually home on Wi-Fi, so as long as calling and texts are covered, they're good. I've already grabbed the offline maps, so they should be all set. I'll ask them to keep an eye on it next time they go out. The phone has certainly impressed me. I was happy with my Lumia 925's 4.5 inch screen but after using the 5 inch screen on these phones, I think I've been swayed. I'm still not sure about a 6 inch screen (been eyeing an unlocked 1320 for months though) but my stance was altered by this phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers