[L1020] Camera hangs?

Maxwell Zwe

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Oh, to add on, I think that the photo that you took before the phone freeze will not be saved? My 1020 does not freeze on the "Saving..." part... for now. I think, if you don't want to lose the photo, you should quickly take a screenshot of the photo that was being saved in the progress. Might be ruined by the low screen resolution (photos have higher res) and whatever grids you put in, but it'll do. :)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Occasionally, when my camera used to hang, this is what I see if the photo was successfully saved:
WP_20150113_13_20_34_Pro.jpg
Has anyone experienced this, too?

However, in most cases when the camera freezes, no image is saved.

Unfortunately, my L1020 has just died a few days ago: Unable to find bootable option. I'm looking forward to having it replaced in a few hours.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I never had a saved image when this bug occurred.

Now @lumiahelp says that the 3051.50009.1447.000x firmware is only for Finland (for Finnish instabilities) but I think they don't know sh*t. All EU 1020 are RM-875, so I don't think there is such a thing as Finnish 1020 specific bugs.

And actually, if they have a minor update, but bigger than the one delivered to the low end (520 620), it would explain that Denim is delayed for us, as carrier have to validate. In France, the 520 got no FW update at all, only GDR1.

So I hope that the fact that (except branded 64GB 1020) no 1020 has received "Denim" means that a freeze bug fix fw is coming.

EDIT: I just had such a freeze today, and, when it's usually benign and can be fixed by a restart or soft reset, this time, most of my apps won't work. Calendar, Glance, etc., they crash when launched. If that bugfix FW really exists since Dec, I HATE Microsoft for that. I suspect I have no choice but to hard reset the device. And of course, backup doesn't work at this moment >:

Last edited:

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
This happened a week ago.

I took a photo on my 1020 on Nokia Camera. The app froze while saving the picture, so I went back to the homescreen and launched the app again. The app's UI loaded but the viewfinder stayed black. I exit out of the app again, and then I realized that the camera shutter remained open. I observed a high pitched whirring noise coming from the camera module whenever I go into a camera app, and of course, the viewfinder is black. I have tried soft resetting the phone, but the camera shutter just won't close.

I'm trying a hard reset now. Hopefully the camera gets its **** together.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
This happened a week ago.

I took a photo on my 1020 on Nokia Camera. The app froze while saving the picture, so I went back to the homescreen and launched the app again. The app's UI loaded but the viewfinder stayed black. I exit out of the app again, and then I realized that the camera shutter remained open. I observed a high pitched whirring noise coming from the camera module whenever I go into a camera app, and of course, the viewfinder is black. I have tried soft resetting the phone, but the camera shutter just won't close.

I'm trying a hard reset now. Hopefully the camera gets its **** together.

Don't perform a hard reset just yet! Several users have reported that that doesn't work.

Update: This issue has also happened with my L1020. A simple power off-power on and then launching any camera app brings the camera back to life. No need for a hard reset - it's not worth the hassle.

P.S. Do not plug your phone while restarting it. This might have caused the Boot error in my L1020 (along with the other phones that had this error, most of them were restarted while being plugged into a power source).

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Don't perform a hard reset just yet! Several users have reported that that doesn't work.

Update: This issue has also happened with my L1020. A simple power off-power on and then launching any camera app brings the camera back to life. No need for a hard reset - it's not worth the hassle.

P.S. Do not plug your phone while restarting it. This might have caused the Boot error in my L1020 (along with the other phones that had this error, most of them were restarted while being plugged into a power source).

Already did. :')

As mentioned, powering the device off and on, soft resetting, didn't help. The hard reset fixed the camera though. It's weird, I can't figure out if it's a software or hardware fault.

P.S I am using a 1520 as my main driver, 1020 for the camera. Hard resetting was no hassle since I had nothing to lose. :)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Already did. :')

As mentioned, powering the device off and on, soft resetting, didn't help. The hard reset fixed the camera though. It's weird, I can't figure out if it's a software or hardware fault.

P.S I am using a 1520 as my main driver, 1020 for the camera. Hard resetting was no hassle since I had nothing to lose. :)

Oh, alright. That was strange. I think it's a software/firmware fault, since these issues only appeared after the latter OS updates - based on the fora. I might have missed the OS and firmware versions that you're L1020 has now, but if they're "up-to-date", then we can presume that the updates are at fault. Hopefully the Windows 10 update addresses all of those bugs.... and hopefully I get my L1020 back by then!:cool:

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
gpobernardo: Usually a restart makes it, or a soft reset. But for me yesterday, only a HR did it, as some of the "disk" felt corrupted (no possibility to take screenshots, system app crash, etc.) The camera was OK after a soft reset or restart, but the 1020 toally wasted.
After a HR, it's now totally functionnal again.

I'm just gutted that Nokia/MS say the FW is in the works, is even rolled out in Finland, but when I asked last week to @lumiahelp why on earth does it take so long to get that FW (cyan) update, they answered that the Finnish FW was only for Finland, which is totally absurd.

I hope we get "Denim" ASAP, speciall the FW part, which will also fix the RAW geotagging bug.

I'm pretty convinced we won't get the OS and FW update before end of Feb. I hope my 1020 won't get corrupted again after one of these feezes in the meanwhile.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
gpobernardo: Usually a restart makes it, or a soft reset. But for me yesterday, only a HR did it, as some of the "disk" felt corrupted (no possibility to take screenshots, system app crash, etc.) The camera was OK after a soft reset or restart, but the 1020 toally wasted.
After a HR, it's now totally functionnal again.

I'm just gutted that Nokia/MS say the FW is in the works, is even rolled out in Finland, but when I asked last week to @lumiahelp why on earth does it take so long to get that FW (cyan) update, they answered that the Finnish FW was only for Finland, which is totally absurd.

I hope we get "Denim" ASAP, speciall the FW part, which will also fix the RAW geotagging bug.

I'm pretty convinced we won't get the OS and FW update before end of Feb. I hope my 1020 won't get corrupted again after one of these feezes in the meanwhile.

Now that you say that, I think I should have hard-reset-ed my L1020 as soon as it started crashing and restarting on its own... now that mine has died with the dreaded "Unable to find bootable section" error, I think a hard reset might have saved it instead. So here I am, settling for a L535 while the L1020 gets repaired... good thing its still under warranty, but I could have saved myself the trouble of having to buy a temporary handset.

Whichever solves the problem should be the solution. Perhaps it's time for me to accept the fact that a hard-reset is sometimes the only way to prevent something worse from happening... unless we receive an update that addresses them all.:cool:

killinghall

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
My 1020 received an update yesterday, still showing Cyan, and I can confirm the freezing bug still remains although not as frequent as before.

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
My 1020 received an update yesterday, still showing Cyan, and I can confirm the freezing bug still remains although not as frequent as before.

Are you in PfD? If so opt out and then re-check extras&info, it should show Denim in place of Cyan. I had the same when I got update today, once I did the above, my firmware changed to Denim.

JaniM

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had any camera freezes since the "Finnish" update rolled in. There has been at least one update after that and it works too. My Core Build ID is 3051.50009.1451.10458 and OS version is 8.10.14226.359.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, I've had my first camera freeze bug today, since Denim is out.

OS is 8.10.1423.375 and FW 3051.50009.1451.1006

David Fredh (Microsoft Imaging) was surprised when I asked if the "denim" firmware (for the 1020) would fix this bug. Surprised by his surprise, as we were a couple of 1020 users to have reported the bug to him and Juha last summer :)

In other words: this will never get fixed.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, I've had my first camera freeze bug today, since Denim is out.

OS is 8.10.1423.375 and FW 3051.50009.1451.1006

David Fredh (Microsoft Imaging) was surprised when I asked if the "denim" firmware (for the 1020) would fix this bug. Surprised by his surprise, as we were a couple of 1020 users to have reported the bug to him and Juha last summer :)

In other words: this will never get fixed.

or... that they (in Microsoft) were not fully aware of the freezing bug (hence his surprise), that's why the fix was not yet included in Denim... but that doesn't mean future releases won't contain a fix for the bug. :angel:

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't buy that theory mate ;)

We (at least 4-5 1020 photographers) twitted Juha last summer (june/july), David interjected, so the bug has been reported many times, every time, it ends with "[pat on the shoulder] yes my friend, we hear what you say". And then, they reset their memory lol.

I've reported again this bug. I've asked for the geotags missing in the RAW files (NOT fixed with Denim), the answer was "we tried to push it, but everything is more complicated for this device".

I read it as follows "Buddy, the 1020 is EoL'ed, we have other projects, so we're not going to fix bugs nobody notice nor report massively".

We'll see ;)

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't buy that theory mate ;)

We (at least 4-5 1020 photographers) twitted Juha last summer (june/july), David interjected, so the bug has been reported many times, every time, it ends with "[pat on the shoulder] yes my friend, we hear what you say". And then, they reset their memory lol.

I've reported again this bug. I've asked for the geotags missing in the RAW files (NOT fixed with Denim), the answer was "we tried to push it, but everything is more complicated for this device".

I read it as follows "Buddy, the 1020 is EoL'ed, we have other projects, so we're not going to fix bugs nobody notice nor report massively".

We'll see ;)

I see, point taken.:angel: But I guess we "ordinary" human beings will just have to wait (either for the fix, or for L1020 successor).:cool:

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I hope MS ignoring us is because they actually have something amazing, maybe not strictly a successor, but amazing from a cameraphone perspective, in the works :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos