Very short battery life

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Is anybody else having pretty terrible battery life with their Icon, as well as it getting quite hot? I had a 2 and a half hour flight that I was using WiFi on. At the start of the flight, I had about 90% charge. Knowing how the battery drains, I was trying very hard to manage it, while still wanting to play some Cloud Raiders. I'd keep the game open for very short periods of time. Of the 2.5 hour flight, the game was probably opened for a total of 15 minutes, and even being open for only a minute or 2 at a time, the phone starts getting warm already. I did some browsing as well, while listening to a podcast. The screen was probably on for bout 60% of the flight. When I landed, I only had about 25% left. Does this seem like extremely poor battery life to anybody else? Between this and Cyan, I'm really thinking of just getting an HTC M8 on T-Mobile.

Daneshd1

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Is anybody else having pretty terrible battery life with their Icon, as well as it getting quite hot? I had a 2 and a half hour flight that I was using WiFi on. At the start of the flight, I had about 90% charge. Knowing how the battery drains, I was trying very hard to manage it, while still wanting to play some Cloud Raiders. I'd keep the game open for very short periods of time. Of the 2.5 hour flight, the game was probably opened for a total of 15 minutes, and even being open for only a minute or 2 at a time, the phone starts getting warm already. I did some browsing as well, while listening to a podcast. The screen was probably on for bout 60% of the flight. When I landed, I only had about 25% left. Does this seem like extremely poor battery life to anybody else? Between this and Cyan, I'm really thinking of just getting an HTC M8 on T-Mobile.

Tell me about it .. I get only four hours of battery life no matter what .. Even on standby .. Keeps draining .. I have blocked every app in battery saver .. Yet doesn't help ..

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
That short of battery life is not the "norm". Something is definitely wrong. Perhaps a soft reset is in order. If that doesn't work, a hard reset. I get more than a full day of use from my Icon and I am using the DP program with all updates as they arrive.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Battery life on my Icon has always been pretty good, even with DP on it. I have multiple email accounts and background tasks are pretty much maxed out. I am a medium user and the battery is good from 6am to about 6pm

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Before you find out what app it is, just backup and hard reset. Doesn't take soooo long...
Maybe turn off those special wp8.1 WiFi settings, bluethooth, if you don't need it.
Check apps in battery saver. That's all you can do.
And don't play so many games :)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
As others suggested, a hard reset, install only a few MUST have apps (maybe a game or 2) and disable background tasks and test... Do this as a last resort.

You would be shocked by battery usage by some apps, even a simple calculator app (there was an advanced one in the free deals about 2 weeks ago) I installed, and my battery went from 10-12 hours with use(light use) down to 4-5 hours.

First thing I would do, Is Check battery saver and see the apps allowed to run the background, DISABLE EVERYTHING accept what you REALLY need, there is no need for a game you have installed to run in the background, nor an app you only use once a week. All apps will update it's data once it's run, so

I think the ONLY things I have enabled on my phone is Cortana, Facebook beta, Twitter and Calendar. Everything is else is disabled from running in the background.

I would try this first, disable everything accept for what you MUST have, and do some more tests...

You should get one day out of it AT LEAST depending on usage (8-12 hour day)...If your getting less than that, something else is going on..

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like a hard reset is in order. I've checked battery saver and it doesn't show anything that looks too crazy in terms of background battery use.

Is everybody else having their phone heat considerably during games that should be fairly easy on the hardware like Cloud Raiders? I was noticing after being open for only 1-2 minutes the phone would heat up quite a bit and use anywhere from 3-5% of battery at times. I've also seen in the past where the phone would get very warm after having the game open for 20 minutes or more and there would be a very large loss in battery, only to have some of it come back after it cooled a little.

To answer somebody's question, yes I am on DP. I should have mentioned that in the original post.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Battery life on icon isn't the best anyway.
I can just add something: Disable background tasks for battery saver app.
I read somewhere that could help.
Other than that...get the 830. Great battery life :)

heelio

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I had mine plugged into charger while sitting on the Qi charger. Gave me bad battery life and would not charge on cable any more. Soft reset fixed it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs