Not impressed with photos from lumia 1020...am I doing it wrong?

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Juha said nothing would be done to the 1020 in Denim. Not even speed improvements or anything. And since Microsoft has already killed the 1020, I highly doubt they spent any time correcting or improving anything.
Again, I never read anything about that special FW update to the 1020. Care to share some links?

I didn't say Juha has promised fixed to come in Denim. But his excuse, back to Cyan, was that they hadn't been allowed to change the appropriate part of the FW for instance to fix the RAW geotagging bug. It's not 1020 specific. All I'm saying is that some camera bugs may be FW related, and of course, they won't communicate on them.

For the special FW update for the 1020 (not camera related): Struggling with freezing issues on the Lumia 925 and Lumia 1020? Microsoft will soon release a fix | Windows Central

And as a matter of fact, there is a Cyan update being tested in Finland right now (as confirmed by @lumiahelp on Twitter). I've checked Navifirm (the Nokia servers), they show a 3051.50009.1447.0001 firmware for the 1020, and as they said, only for the 3 Finnish variants (white, black, yellow, FI Country Variants). @LumiaHelp say it's a "bridge" FW between Cyan and Denim.

Wait & see ;)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I didn't say Juha has promised fixed to come in Denim. But his excuse, back to Cyan, was that they hadn't been allowed to change the appropriate part of the FW for instance to fix the RAW geotagging bug. It's not 1020 specific. All I'm saying is that some camera bugs may be FW related, and of course, they won't communicate on them.

For the special FW update for the 1020 (not camera related): Struggling with freezing issues on the Lumia 925 and Lumia 1020? Microsoft will soon release a fix | Windows Central

And as a matter of fact, there is a Cyan update being tested in Finland right now (as confirmed by @lumiahelp on Twitter). I've checked Navifirm (the Nokia servers), they show a 3051.50009.1447.0001 firmware for the 1020, and as they said, only for the 3 Finnish variants (white, black, yellow, FI Country Variants). @LumiaHelp say it's a "bridge" FW between Cyan and Denim.

Wait & see ;)

Yeah but they do tend to come up with excuses rather easily. They also got a few for the horrible ViewFinder experience you have on the 930 (it's grainy as hell if Hell was grainy). They were always allowed to touch on everything in the software and when they couldn't they've always asked Microsoft to do it for them. There's no GDR that wasn't a result of ex-Nokia team requests (apart from the one that brought the DotView functionality for HTC which was already post-Nokia).

I'm glad there's an update being tested for the 1020 (though I've had none of those issues), but I doubt it will fix the mess Cyan did on the imaging of the device. We'll have to see.

But one thing is certain: Denim will bring zero for the 1020. Not even new algorithms. Nothing.
And at this point, I just want it to not make things worse.
Quite honestly, if I could take the 1020 back to Black, I would.

Todd Robinson

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
If you can, shoot in RAW, and post process later.

The imaging algorithm is horrible, unlike the PV808

How does one shoot in RAW is it the same as DNG? What post processing does one do with the RAW image. I should have my wife post as she understands more about cameras (I'm your point and shoot kind of guy), but unfortunately she doesn't like to post in forum settings so for now it is me.

tanya shah1

Banned
Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Yeah but they do tend to come up with excuses rather easily. They also got a few for the horrible ViewFinder experience you have on the 930 (it's grainy as hell if Hell was grainy). They were always allowed to touch on everything in the software and when they couldn't they've always asked Microsoft to do it for them. There's no GDR that wasn't a result of ex-Nokia team requests (apart from the one that brought the DotView functionality for HTC which was already post-Nokia).

I'm glad there's an update being tested for the 1020 (though I've had none of those issues), but I doubt it will fix the mess Cyan did on the imaging of the device. We'll have to see.

But one thing is certain: Denim will bring zero for the 1020. Not even new algorithms. Nothing.
And at this point, I just want it to not make things worse.
Quite honestly, if I could take the 1020 back to Black, I would.

you can take it back to black
just use navifirm and nokia suite
its a bit tricky but nothing can go wrong as such ,max to max you wont be able to start the process or something

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
you can take it back to black
just use navifirm and nokia suite
its a bit tricky but nothing can go wrong as such ,max to max you wont be able to start the process or something

Well, sure, there's that. But it would void my warranty and I've had enough hardware and software problems with WP devices to risk it =P

michaelcly

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
If you are shooting in RAW mode, the reframe picture option does not use the high quality 34 meg to reframe or zooming in. It actually uses the 5 meg picture. If shooting in jpeg mode, it would use the 34 meg picture when zooming in and reframing. That would explain why you don't get high quality images when zooming in or reframing.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster