IPhone 6+ and 1520 on a modeling photo shoot

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The 1020 image quality would have blown away the iPhone 6+, but the slowness of it would have made a fast shoot unbearable.

What we need for good "impromptu modelling" is a 1030 with a 50+MP camera and a snapdragon 800+, with the denim update to resolve the camera lag.

That's why I bought the Lumia 520, because I'm going to save my money, sit tight, and wait for the ultimate phone that I really want. It will probably ship with Windows 10 Update 2 and Satin Firmware. (Satin being a few steps up from Denim, of course.) Perhaps by then I can get a 512GB microSD card for it. ;)

Why on earth would anyone want a 50+ MP camera sensor on a phone....even on a dslr for that matter?!

cheehong

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I can't imagine that the Denim update will make a huge amount of difference with shot to shot times. Fractions of a second maybe, but I'm struggling to see any major improvements with performance.

Any video shown Lumia camera on 1520? The speed indeed faster but still not a rival to iPhone.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
On some site I saw the 830 compared to iPhone 6 - focus time. Surprisingly the 830 was faster. Both were faster than other phones. Will be curious after Denim and the Lumia Camera update to re-evaluate this.

I do know the iPhone camera is now very usable and often has great quality pics, despite buying a Lumia for the camera.

Did you try using Miracast on the 1520 to do the same as AirPlay?

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Impromptu modelling is as spontaneous as an impromptu murder when there just happens to be a chainsaw, some tarps, and a shovel just sitting next to you in the living room......

Oh look....you have a phone, I have a phone, apple tv, some lighting, and a random model just hanging around.... impromptu :grincry:

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I recently did an impromptu modeling shot where we had an iPhone 6+ and the Lumia 1520.

I'm kind of sad to say the iPhone 6+ blew away the 1520 in terms of speed and being able to capture shots when things started to move fast. It just plain worked.

It all came down to the software and it's responsiveness. We also had mirroring to a apple TV, which made it easier for the model to get her angles and lighting just right.

Blink also doesn't compare to the iPhone's native burst mode.

As far as image quality goes they were on par with each other. Sorry, no photos. They aren't WPC safe :)

Why would anyone do a "modeling shoot" with either one, or any other smartphone? Yes, that includes the 1020 for those who insist that phone is somehow different. Pretty much the equivalent of saying I went to a drag race and the Prius was no match for the Corolla. It is a good bet everything beat them both. Anything and everything above a P&S would outperform both phones. BTW, at this point there are decent quality DSLRs that are cheaper (with lens) than the off contract price of either phone.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It was something we had to get done right away. I have a 60D but the batteries were all out and hadn't touched it in months. We are planning another shoot using that.

Given proper lighting both the 6+ and 1520 did an acceptable job. A couple shots came out gallery quality.

While all the above sounds fun it's actually quite a bit of work :) You're constantly worrying about lighting, angles, composition, background, exposure, etc.

Oh, and ProShot is the way to go for a Lumia! I made the mistake of using the Nokia camera a few times. Had I stuck with ProShot the whole time results would have been better.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Why would anyone do a "modeling shoot" with either one, or any other smartphone? Yes, that includes the 1020 for those who insist that phone is somehow different. Pretty much the equivalent of saying I went to a drag race and the Prius was no match for the Corolla. It is a good bet everything beat them both. Anything and everything above a P&S would outperform both phones. BTW, at this point there are decent quality DSLRs that are cheaper (with lens) than the off contract price of either phone.

Have to agree with this.

Doesn't sound professional at all. Sounds like fun casual goofing off.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I case there is any confusion regarding my analogy, I can assure you that the choices of vehicles was quite intentional. They are both quality vehicles consistently ranked at the tops of their respective classes. If, however, one was to choose to compare the on the basis of how well they do things they are not supposed to do, the results become silly (at best). In fact. It becomes something you are most likely to find as a skit on the original (British) version of Top Gear - a joke segment and nothing more. The two phones, likewise, are quality devices that can take very nice images. By what logic does it matter how well they perform a function for which they were never intended to be used? There is a huge difference between taking pictures on vacation, or of the dog, or kid, or some celebrity you passed on a street (the intended function) and a photo shoot....

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
On some site I saw the 830 compared to iPhone 6 - focus time. Surprisingly the 830 was faster. Both were faster than other phones. Will be curious after Denim and the Lumia Camera update to re-evaluate this.

I can vouch for speed of 830 snaps. My proto 830 that came with Debian and my At&t 830 w/ it's version of Denim fire up and take pics incredibly faster than my 925 and 920. Using the default MSFT app that fires up instantly.

Jacob Frye

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I took my iphone 6 plus and 1520 to Magic Mountain California this weekend and there was no comparison (besides for speed). If you had ANY awkward lighting than the iPhone's photo quality would fall apart. Long story short, I took all my photos and videos with my 1520 and answered work calls and played music from my iPhone (like usual)...

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I recently did an impromptu modeling shot where we had an iPhone 6+ and the Lumia 1520.

I'm kind of sad to say the iPhone 6+ blew away the 1520 in terms of speed and being able to capture shots when things started to move fast. It just plain worked.

It all came down to the software and it's responsiveness. We also had mirroring to a apple TV, which made it easier for the model to get her angles and lighting just right.

Blink also doesn't compare to the iPhone's native burst mode.

As far as image quality goes they were on par with each other. Sorry, no photos. They aren't WPC safe :)

I did the same test today with iPhone 6+ and my Lumia 1520. Lumia 1520 has a burst mode feature where you can long press the camera button and it takes burst modes non stop. You will never miss a moment with this feature. It neat the iPhone 6+ hands down with that feature.

​If anyone has not tried it, please try it and compare. You will be amazed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss