IPhone 6+ and 1520 on a modeling photo shoot

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I recently did an impromptu modeling shot where we had an iPhone 6+ and the Lumia 1520.

I'm kind of sad to say the iPhone 6+ blew away the 1520 in terms of speed and being able to capture shots when things started to move fast. It just plain worked.

It all came down to the software and it's responsiveness. We also had mirroring to a apple TV, which made it easier for the model to get her angles and lighting just right.

Blink also doesn't compare to the iPhone's native burst mode.

As far as image quality goes they were on par with each other. Sorry, no photos. They aren't WPC safe :)

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The Lumia denim update is supposed to resolve the speed issues with the camera... I realize that doesn't help right now, but denim is on the way.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The 1020 image quality would have blown away the iPhone 6+, but the slowness of it would have made a fast shoot unbearable.

What we need for good "impromptu modelling" is a 1030 with a 50+MP camera and a snapdragon 800+, with the denim update to resolve the camera lag.

That's why I bought the Lumia 520, because I'm going to save my money, sit tight, and wait for the ultimate phone that I really want. It will probably ship with Windows 10 Update 2 and Satin Firmware. (Satin being a few steps up from Denim, of course.) Perhaps by then I can get a 512GB microSD card for it. ;)

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
LOL, it did happen. The photos are tasteful but still not WPC material.

The 1520 was just embarrassing next to the 6+. The overall experience is about more than just image quality.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
to be fair, WP does have mirroring capability over miracast as well.
the 1520 is the fastest Lumia camera you get so until Denim it is what it is.
Also, i wanna see a link to the pictures that illustrates your point. IMO a supersampled 5 MP image is still superior to the 8 MP.

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Pictures from the two phones for comparison would be great. I have seen some fantastic pictures with the 1020 and some terrible ones. It depends on how the pictures were taken and the settings used. I could believe that the iPhone 6 plus in the hand of an amateur could repeatedly produce better pictures. In the right hands the 1020 wins by a wide margin. I know were talking about the 1520 here but I'm sure its the same deal.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Have to say I'm disappointed. I traded my 1520 in for an iPhone6 but frolicking nude models did not appear. Fortunately, they let me trade back.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
to be fair, WP does have mirroring capability over miracast as well.
the 1520 is the fastest Lumia camera you get so until Denim it is what it is.
Also, i wanna see a link to the pictures that illustrates your point. IMO a supersampled 5 MP image is still superior to the 8 MP.
It does. Miracast works but not as easily or smoothly. It's a pita to fire it up on my bluray player.

Image quality wasn't part of the comparison here. I'm just going by easy of use and getting the shots. IQ on the 1520 is great.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Have to say I'm disappointed. I traded my 1520 in for an iPhone6 but frolicking nude models did not appear. Fortunately, they let me trade back.

I don't know why but sometimes that seems to happen me. LOL

The model sells custom tasteful semi-nudes and we had to do a turnaround for a quick sale. Part of the deal is nobody else gets to see them. There is actually a market out there for that stuff :).

Hildr

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Maybe the original built-in Camera app would have been better, it's faster.
But as you said, it's not just about quality when it comes to shoot moving object. Lumias are really good to shoot landscape, but well, there are a little bit slow. Wait for the new Camera App dedicated to Denim devices. (I'm not sure Denim alone changes anything to the camera)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I can't imagine that the Denim update will make a huge amount of difference with shot to shot times. Fractions of a second maybe, but I'm struggling to see any major improvements with performance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)