Verizon Users - Anyone Thought of Moving To HTC One M8?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
A Verizon based 1020? And you're considering the M8 :p LOL

Yeah Windows Phone almost lost me to the iPhone 6+. I did a switch recently and it wasn't a bad experience but I missed my Live tiles. But now back on Windows Phone, I love my 1520 and the camera is fantastic but heck my Live tiles half the time don't work and the push notifications don't properly work for certain apps. It's actually quite ridiculous to be honest. I switched back to WP after 2 days with the 6+ but in all honesty I am considering switching back to the IPhone 6+ only until next fall since it is official...we aren't getting any flagships.

Not because I hate the OS...I love it. But because the OS isn't properly handling the basic stuff for me(live tiles and notifications).

The M8 is not the flagship that the masses want. Both on the Android side and Windows side.....and I hope MS does rethink this and bring something out. Even if it is just the 930 to others or 1520 to Verizon.

Here is the reality at work...we are an iPhone/Windows Phone shop. I've lost 4 people to the iPhone6 from Windows Phone, mainly due to the lack of a flagship model. They wanted the ICON but it was cancelled, so they went iPhone6. They miss the live tiles but they are content. Me, I am ready for a Verizon based update to the 1020. That is what I want...I'm not ready to bolt to iPhone...and I am somewhat hopeful we may see Windows 10 for phone late January if we are lucky via the Dev. Preview...I still am also hopeful we will get Cyan for the ICON...got to remain positive, eh?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
A Verizon based 1020? And you're considering the M8 :p LOL

Yeah Windows Phone almost lost me to the iPhone 6+. I did a switch recently and it wasn't a bad experience but I missed my Live tiles. But now back on Windows Phone, I love my 1520 and the camera is fantastic but heck my Live tiles half the time don't work and the push notifications don't properly work for certain apps. It's actually quite ridiculous to be honest. I switched back to WP after 2 days with the 6+ but in all honesty I am considering switching back to the IPhone 6+ only until next fall since it is official...we aren't getting any flagships.

Not because I hate the OS...I love it. But because the OS isn't properly handling the basic stuff for me(live tiles and notifications).

The M8 is not the flagship that the masses want. Both on the Android side and Windows side.....and I hope MS does rethink this and bring something out. Even if it is just the 930 to others or 1520 to Verizon.

OK...you got me...itching for a new gadget and being fooled into thinking it would be cool to have the XBOX Dot Case...:) Yeah, I want the camera! And I'd take the 1520.2 on Verizon if it could get there...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
OK...you got me...itching for a new gadget and being fooled into thinking it would be cool to have the XBOX Dot Case...:) Yeah, I want the camera! And I'd take the 1520.2 on Verizon if it could get there...

Haha.

The 1520 is an amazing phone. The only phone I have ever kept for a year. Got mine launch day and if I don't move to the iPhone 6+ again, it will be the first phone I also kept for nearly 2 years while waiting on windows 10.

But OS stuff aside, you really aren't missing much since your icon is essentially my 1520 in a smaller package. I'd actually like a 930/icon over my 1520 as I think the design is amazing.

Why not check out the samsung ativ se? It is better than the m8 with fewer compromises if you really want to try something new for the time being?

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Nah - I can wait. My Icon actually runs very well with DP 8.1.1. Hardware wise - its still a very, very solid device. If the Cyan/Denim updates ever come, it will be even better. Kind of sadly ironic, that the device was designed with 8.1 in mind, but is among the last that will get it. There was speculation back in the release delay that the cause was to make it the first shipping 8.1 device. Anyway, water under the bridge.

My contract is up in August. I've lived with DP now nearly as long as what remains on my contract. If Cyan/Denim never get released, August will be close enough to the release of 10 that I can comfortably wait and see what comes out.

Besides, I have many bad memories of the dark days of HTC with premature device failure rates of 100% in our work plans. Apple sold a lot of iPhones due to bad HTC hardware. Its going to take more than a few generations of HTC hardware stability to get me past that experience.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Haha.

The 1520 is an amazing phone. The only phone I have ever kept for a year. Got mine launch day and if I don't move to the iPhone 6+ again, it will be the first phone I also kept for nearly 2 years while waiting on windows 10.

But OS stuff aside, you really aren't missing much since your icon is essentially my 1520 in a smaller package. I'd actually like a 930/icon over my 1520 as I think the design is amazing.

Why not check out the samsung ativ se? It is better than the m8 with fewer compromises if you really want to try something new for the time being?

I think I can wait to see what 2015 has in store...I really do want expandable storage which is what makes the 1520 attractive, especially the 1520.2 which has 32 base plus wireless charging and glance. I just wish we were going into 2015 knowing there was a flagship coming, especially to Verizon. I keep mentioning Verizon because it is what my work uses and they pay by bill too...and still on unlimited...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think I can wait to see what 2015 has in store...I really do want expandable storage which is what makes the 1520 attractive, especially the 1520.2 which has 32 base plus wireless charging and glance. I just wish we were going into 2015 knowing there was a flagship coming, especially to Verizon. I keep mentioning Verizon because it is what my work uses and they pay by bill too...and still on unlimited...

I was just about to ask why not just switch to Att :) Now I know why. Yeah I am not in a dire need to switch at this moment and I am content with my 1520 as is. I probably will at least see what happens at MWC and with that January windows 10 thing before making any moves.

Who knows...Perhaps a Beta will come out for Win 10 for phones and you wont even need Cyan, you can just bypass it to win10 :D That'll be a definite plus for the poor Icon owners stuck on black. I don't even remember black tbh and I've only been on Cyan since august lol.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I was just about to ask why not just switch to Att :) Now I know why. Yeah I am not in a dire need to switch at this moment and I am content with my 1520 as is. I probably will at least see what happens at MWC and with that January windows 10 thing before making any moves.

Who knows...Perhaps a Beta will come out for Win 10 for phones and you wont even need Cyan, you can just bypass it to win10 :D That'll be a definite plus for the poor Icon owners stuck on black. I don't even remember black tbh and I've only been on Cyan since august lol.

We are on AT&T at home. I moved my number to work so they can pay for it and it has worked out and saved us some money. My oldest daughter has the 1520.2 which I got from Newegg and she really hates it because she is an iPhone person. I have been tempted to move back and get that from her and she can buy her own iPhone. But no more unlimited data if I do and not sure if work would be happy that I keep moving back and forth. :)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
We are on AT&T at home. I moved my number to work so they can pay for it and it has worked out and saved us some money. My oldest daughter has the 1520.2 which I got from Newegg and she really hates it because she is an iPhone person. I have been tempted to move back and get that from her and she can buy her own iPhone. But no more unlimited data if I do and not sure if work would be happy that I keep moving back and forth. :)
Go ahead and do it ;) you'll be happy you did haha

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
How would the One even be an upgrade from the Icon? My sister upgraded a couple of months ago, and she took the Icon over the One herself. The One's hardware is just as old as the Icon's, it just launched later because HTC was porting WP onto its Android hardware. Both are early-2014 devices, so I don't see how losing out on a good camera, a camera button, and off-screen navigation buttons makes for an upgrade, just because the OS was released on that old hardware later.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Kind of off topic, but I had to do a hard reset on my ICON for an issue that may be resolved by it...started loading apps and got a message WELCOME TO LUMIA DENIM, but I noticed I couldn't load Cyan apps. So, decided to reset again and this time before Extra+Info updated, it said Lumia Black. Once Extra+Info updated, it once again said Denim.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Haha.

For some reason I was completely ignorant of the Samsun Ativ SE being a current generation phone. It even has SD 800.

Wow, how focused on Nokia I've got. I knew all about the M8, just missed this one entirely!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes...I have kids and the ICON tends to take some amazing moments for me, though it is slow with Nokia Camera and the Dev. Preview...I heard Cyan fixes that but that's a whole other subject.

I actually would get the M8 and switch between the two phones if it didn't have a different SIM. Different SIM cards mean more work to switch between the two.

Denim is clamed to fix the slow camera issue.....We are dreaming of Cyan on the ICON but, we really NEED Denim

Different SIMs, no biggie, get the adapter, I used some to try other phones who had a larger SIM, no problems with them and they are cheap too...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
For some reason I was completely ignorant of the Samsun Ativ SE being a current generation phone. It even has SD 800.

Wow, how focused on Nokia I've got. I knew all about the M8, just missed this one entirely!
Yeah, it was barely marketed so no surprise that you missed it. But yeah it came out around the icons time and nearly the same specs. :D just with far less support.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Kind of off topic, but I had to do a hard reset on my ICON for an issue that may be resolved by it...started loading apps and got a message WELCOME TO LUMIA DENIM, but I noticed I couldn't load Cyan apps. So, decided to reset again and this time before Extra+Info updated, it said Lumia Black. Once Extra+Info updated, it once again said Denim.
I think that is a known bug.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I will be moving off Verizon onto a 1520. It's not that the M8 isn't a good phone, it is. It has more to do with Verizon's disregard to WP.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I will be moving off Verizon onto a 1520. It's not that the M8 isn't a good phone, it is. It has more to do with Verizon's disregard to WP.

No, the One actually isn't a good Windows Phone. It's a decent Android device, but it steers way too far away from what the benefits of WP are. The main complaint I have is that the camera button is gone. I'm not big on taking pictures, so to be honest, I'd probably take many fewer pictures without my camera button, as the button-unlock-scroll-app-shoot sequence would be too cumbersome for me to bother with. I also find the on-screen nav buttons utterly disgusting, as they get in the way of the OS and display, and they lose things like directly searching without unlocking the device (not sure if Cortana does that, but I was irritated when that stupid application came and took the Bing-from-lockscreen feature away). Then there's the part where HTC offers nothing close to the Nokia/Microsoft level of software/firmware support, and it just kills it.

On Android, the leader in the clubhouse, Samsung, loads its devices with useless features and bloatware that makes 10 GB of storage disappear upon purchase, so something like the One looks decent, when compared to that. Stick the One next to a device with a small OS, a great camera, and great software/firmware support, and the One quickly turns into a turd, in my eyes. I mean, I'm not even considering upgrading on AT&T right now, as I stick with my 920 and hope for a flagship Lumia in the next 3-6 months. However, if my 920 broke right now, I'd get a Lumia 1520 I don't trust the durability of before I got a One I don't like a single things about.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You're getting denim :) all that waiting has paid off! :p

Leaf81

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I am looking at it.. I am just switching to wishes phone and verizon , I like the icon and would love an icon, but it seems pretty old to just newly purchase.

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Switched to the Note 4, still have my Icon, going to be the Wife's after the update to Denim. She has the 928 now, loves Windows Phone and likes my Icon Better. So it worked out for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte