... so why does a 930 with Cortana pinned to the homescreen grind to a halt, and a 1020 on DP won't?

bseuivafom

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Question as title.

The 930's clearly overheating and at full or near-full CPU usage when I take it off charge, and it takes it a good 10-20 minutes of unplugged use / rest to return it to normal... until I plug it in to charge again.

Whereas if I do exactly the same thing with a 1020 on DP - it's fine, or should I say as molasses-like as it usually is.

Why?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Question as title.

The 930's clearly overheating and at full or near-full CPU usage when I take it off charge, and it takes it a good 10-20 minutes of unplugged use / rest to return it to normal... until I plug it in to charge again.

Whereas if I do exactly the same thing with a 1020 on DP - it's fine, or should I say as molasses-like as it usually is.

Why?

How were you able to determine CPU usage?

I'm suspecting it's the battery that's heating up while charging your phone since the phone processors are really not that big to generate enough heat for it to be felt through several layers of insulating silicon and plastic - unlike laptops.

bseuivafom

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
How were you able to determine CPU usage?

Because it takes several seconds to respond to a touch. It will, but everything takes an age. Until I unplug it and it cools down.

The actual outside temp of the phone is similar to when you're playing a game, etc - not incredibly excessive, but clearly doing something, but I have a case on it so there could be some heat I'm *not* feeling.

The morning after I unpin Cortana, it's totally fine. Re-pin, same issue.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Because it takes several seconds to respond to a touch. It will, but everything takes an age. Until I unplug it and it cools down.

The actual outside temp of the phone is similar to when you're playing a game, etc - not incredibly excessive, but clearly doing something, but I have a case on it so there could be some heat I'm *not* feeling.

The morning after I unpin Cortana, it's totally fine. Re-pin, same issue.

Alright, thanks for the clarification. Just yesterday (a few hours ago, actually), my Cortana and search functions won't even start... but I'm not experiencing any heat issues.

It appears that in your case having Cortana pinned to your start screen is either prompting the processor to run or downloading data to update the tile (or both). The first (processor load) would account for the lag, while the second (data download) would account for most of the heat since data transfer over the phone antenna is very power intensive. Can you compare the phone signal reception of your 930 with your 1020? Poor signal reception could prevent Cortana from updating, which could tax the processor longer than it should.

bseuivafom

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
So actually, unpinning it didn't do the trick - it has something to do with Cortana, because what I found was that on the days I didn't find the phone to be hot I didn't use Cortana, period - i.e. no web searches and so forth. But even when the Cortana tile was unpinned, the morning after I'd used Cortana capabilities the phone would be hot and the handset unresponsive for again around 10 minutes at least until it was cooler to the touch.

Now after I turned off Cortana, used standard Bing Search - I have no more issues, touch wood.

Could anyone tell me what's going on here?

Again, the use cycle:

Use phone - with Cortana for even just web search - charge phone overnight. Following morning handset is hot and unresponsive.

Turn off Cortana - same use cycle - handset seems OK. Cool and responsive.

I'm just fed up of these silly little gotchas - if it's not one thing in WP, it's another.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle