What will I miss if I switch to HTC from Nokia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
OP, you may not be missing much in making the jump.

I owned a 920, then a 925 and a 8x. Surprisingly, the 8X is still my favorite of those three. Yes, Nokia has a better camera but outside that, the HTC for my taste was a little better. I now own a 1520.3 and the camera feels like the 925 I had...ok but not as stellar as the 920 felt. Maybe Denim may cha he my mind, but with MSFT pulling the strings officially, I'm not holding my breath.

People need to stop drinking the Lumia koolaid so hard. The only advantage Lumia now has is the camera sensor on their high end models and the fact that MSFT will put out the custom firmware still. Jumping from a Lumia to a HTC you're not missing as much...but it depends on your needs. If camera is important, Nokia is ahead. Otherwise, everything else is the same.

The saddest thing I've seen is people comparing the 830 to the One and picking the 830 over it. That was such a joke.
How exactly is that a joke if you just said that it depends on your needs? Just because they didn't choose the m8, its a joke? I mean you literally just started the sentence with that only to end it with "that was a joke."

One could say that about choosing a non Lumia over a Lumia as well.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
look's like micah's post was deleted, but he questioned how nokia was playing catchup with firmware.
We've had this exact conversation before, micah, and you accepted my exact position on this subject before, too. Not sure why you've suddenly forgotten my position on this subject.
Nokia playing catchup includes the following:
Glance
Bluetooth LE
Miracast

I might have missed one or two, but you get the idea. Things that a firmware update brought (nearly two years later for some of those features) that really should have been features the phones launched with. Miracast relies on a specific wifi-direct chipset that literally sat in some phones for two years unused because there were no drivers. Phones like my Lumia 820 have wifi-direct chipsets but were arbitrarily not given miracast firmware, so there is literally unused hardware in the 820 and several other lumias.

Now, this is not entirely nokia's fault, since WP8.0 did not support miracast and perhaps BTLE so they could not have been included on the phone's release, so they had to wait for 8.1. Still, my point is that the inclusion of these huge and functionality expanding features in firmware updates has indeed given an illusion of grandeur. Now that all of the hardware has been properly supported, firmware updates can not possibly contain as much as they did before, and they will likely come less often- what else could they possibly do? Realistically, the only thing firmware will include from here on out is slightly improving camera speed and otherwise tweaking the way the camera works.

Meanwhile, the HTC One already has miracast, it already has BTLE, it has the dotview case- the device is not missing any drivers like ALL Lumias were. All Lumias received most of the missing drivers- great! But if your position is that "you'll be missing updates by going away from Lumia", you argument relies on a bubble trend that has recently popped.

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Surprised that no one mentioned the sunlight readability on the Lumia 1520 surpasses every phone out there. Perfect for watching movie in a brightly lit environment.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Surprised that no one mentioned the sunlight readability on the Lumia 1520 surpasses every phone out there. Perfect for watching movie in a brightly lit environment.
I forgot all about that tbh. And super sensitive touch. Features I am used to regularly but never think about.

I love productive innovations like that they benefit all users especially those in colder climate areas vs a gimmick like front facing speakers lol

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Cons: The camera, regardless of what app you use or enhancement settings, Nokia wins hands down. Better auto lighting. Camera button (HTC does not have one) and the power button is more conveniently located at the side vs the top on the HTC which for me leads to a lot of accidental screen shot images in my photo library.
Pros: Better battery life, Windows 8.1, curved feel vs. the typical heavy Nokia brick design, speakers look cool but meh, they sound okay, dot view case is also, meh, attentive phone setting though there is a beta app now that does some similar things, Navigation bar settings for hiding the bar or matching your theme, not a huge thing but still kind of cool. Still active and not retired yet, I see it on display in my local Verizon stores, can't say the same for the Icon.

sixseven

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I am really interested in the HTC One for Windows however I am worried that there are a lot of exclusive Nokia features I will be missing out on. I own a Lumia 822 and I just love all of the extra features and apps Nokia (Microsoft) has given my device.

What features will I miss out on if I switch?

What features are in this phone (or any HTC phone) that are exclusive to this phone (or HTC)?

Silent Night, there are a few VERY vocal people on this thread. I might be considered one of them... Here's my opinion that I am giving to you. I came from a Lumia 810, which is a cousin to your 822. The One kicks the snot of the 810.

Pros compare to the 810/822:

* SPEED. You're gonna be blown away.
* Battery life. On my 810, I would be at 10% or less by the end of the day. The last two days I ended the day at 50% on the One.
* The camera on the One is vastly superior to the 810. Taking pictures is almost instant and the output is outstanding. On my 810, I would press, focus, and wait. Often the wait was so long that the people would move or stop smiling.
* The included software is actually pretty fun. I am using the HTC camera instead of the generic camera app. Photo Edit and Video Highlights are surprisingly useful. Blinkfeed is nothing special. I prefer the MSN News app, but maybe that's because I'm used to it. I've set up the Sense TV app, but I doubt I'll use it. SmartGlass is better.
* If you're not running Dev Preview, your gonna love 8.1 too.
* At first I thought the dot view case was gimmicky, but it's really grown on me as something that's useful. I like interacting with the phone while the case is closed. You can answer, talk, and end a call while the case is closed. This keeps your screen much cleaner.

Cons compared to the 810/822:

* No dedicated camera button. This is my top complaint. My workaround it to pin the HTC Camera app to the top right corner on the home screen.
* You need to decide what Lumia exclusive apps you like, and what you need. For me, I pretty much only used MixRadio and Drive+. Drive+ is available on the One, but MixRadio is not. (although that could change soon, now that Microsoft sold it.) Pandora has been an acceptable alternative, as I rarely need music offline.
* If you bought an optional wireless charging cover/plate, you'll miss that. I do miss wireless charging, but it's not that big of a deal.
* Viewing in sunlight. The 810 has clearblack, and I think the 822 does as well. Not a big deal to me.

Hope this is helpful. These decisions aren't permanent. You can get a One now, and switch to a future Lumia later. If you're on Verizon, you could go with the 1520. For me, that is too big. 4.7-5.0 is the right screen size for me.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If you're going to give the OP advice at least make it somewhat sound.

What does walking into a store and seeing the display have to do with it being a Pro and better than Nokia? Come on now.

As far as your Pros

1. Icon is announced to be getting Windows Phone 8.1 with Denim...so that's nill
2. Battery Life.....Is subjective
3. The Curved feel vs Nokia feel...subjective to you....So you cant count that as a pro or a con OVERALL except only to yourself
4. As you said there is a Gestures app for Lumia that does the same thing so no point really mentioning Attentive settings really.
5. Navigation Bar really isn't a Pro or a Con. Isn't that on all Windows Phone(not just hTC) that have on screen buttons.

Most of your Pros for the M8 are either already on the Lumia or just subjective to you. At best, if you take out the Camera from Lumia and the support and OS updates both phones are exactly equal to each other.......
Cons: The camera, regardless of what app you use or enhancement settings, Nokia wins hands down. Better auto lighting. Camera button (HTC does not have one) and the power button is more conveniently located at the side vs the top on the HTC which for me leads to a lot of accidental screen shot images in my photo library.
Pros: Better battery life, Windows 8.1, curved feel vs. the typical heavy Nokia brick design, speakers look cool but meh, they sound okay, dot view case is also, meh, attentive phone setting though there is a beta app now that does some similar things, Navigation bar settings for hiding the bar or matching your theme, not a huge thing but still kind of cool. Still active and not retired yet, I see it on display in my local Verizon stores, can't say the same for the Icon.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Icon is announced to be getting Denim? Right on time my friend, can't wait. Glad they skipped Cyan.
I owned the Icon as well as the 928 so I can compare the two with constructive criticism and I think I did that. OP can go into the store and play around with the HTC and test my Pros and see if they are true.
You on the other hand just jump all over anyone saying anything negative about Nokia...
And walking into a store and seeing the HTC means it is still supported, a Pro, not abandoned after 8 months like the Icon, a Con.

Last edited:

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Icon is announced to be getting Denim? Right on time my friend, can't wait. Glad they skipped Cyan.
I owned the Icon as well as the 928 so I can compare the two with constructive criticism and I think I did that. OP can go into the store and play around with the HTC and test my Pros and see if they are true.
You on the other hand just jump all over anyone saying anything negative about Nokia...
And walking into a store and seeing the HTC means it is still supported, a Pro, not abandoned after 8 months like the Icon, a Con.

HTC guaranteed 2 years of support and updates as well. Icon didn't even get a year and still will not see Denim until some time next year.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
If you're going to give the OP advice at least make it somewhat sound.

What does walking into a store and seeing the display have to do with it being a Pro and better than Nokia? Come on now.

As far as your Pros

1. Icon is announced to be getting Windows Phone 8.1 with Denim...so that's nill
2. Battery Life.....Is subjective
3. The Curved feel vs Nokia feel...subjective to you....So you cant count that as a pro or a con OVERALL except only to yourself
4. As you said there is a Gestures app for Lumia that does the same thing so no point really mentioning Attentive settings really.
5. Navigation Bar really isn't a Pro or a Con. Isn't that on all Windows Phone(not just hTC) that have on screen buttons.

Most of your Pros for the M8 are either already on the Lumia or just subjective to you. At best, if you take out the Camera from Lumia and the support and OS updates both phones are exactly equal to each other.......

Battery life is subjective, but you can objectively compare different battery capacities, and different drain rates. The M8 has a larger capacity and less avg drain than my 820. My previous HTC phone, the WP7 Titan, could last 4 days on a single charge and never lasted less than 2. The M8 isn't quite that awesome but it's still objectively better than my 820 in battery, and based on my previous HTC devices, HTC seems to know what they're doing in the battery department.

I was under the impression that the nav bar is a unique implementation by HTC, or at least HTC has modified it to have the swipe to hide/show? I could be wrong.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

HTC guaranteed 2 years of support and updates as well. Icon didn't even get a year and still will not see Denim until some time next year.

Lmao the HTC 8x was still sold in stores for a good part of 2013. We see how long it took them to get that updated. Just because a phone is in stores does not mean it will get updated. Come on now you guys can't be this stubborn. Lmao I may be critical of the m8, but at least these points I make are valid.

You're harping because you can't see a display.

And now that is officially announced that it is getting denim you guys still want to hold it against it just because it is coming early 2015. Too funny.

Yet when the phone does get windows phone 8.1 and denim I do wonder what your excuse will be then since they will be on the same os.

But wait the HTC fans say that even if HTC stops supporting the m8 hypothetically at least we have dp....so why doesn't that same argument hold up for icon users who already are on 8.1?

Double standards are hilarious :)

The kicker will be if the icon manages to nab win10 before the m8 while being discontinued lmao.

Op, stick with what you have or give the icon a shot.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is subjective, but you can objectively compare different battery capacities, and different drain rates. The M8 has a larger capacity and less avg drain than my 820. My previous HTC phone, the WP7 Titan, could last 4 days on a single charge and never lasted less than 2. The M8 isn't quite that awesome but it's still objectively better than my 820 in battery, and based on my previous HTC devices, HTC seems to know what they're doing in the battery department.

I was under the impression that the nav bar is a unique implementation by HTC, or at least HTC has modified it to have the swipe to hide/show? I could be wrong.
It's quite subjective since you can't truly say 100% simply because we all use our phones differently.

My brother has a 1520 that can last two days. Mime lasts 20 hours. Why? I have everything set to high brightness and mail constantly pushing and various other tasks. His is more casual usage

My bf icon lasts a day and half with medium usage and then the m8 we have lasts about a day with medium to heavy usage. So that's why I don't give that a pro or con simply because it is subjective to the user of the device.

I am not 100% sure nav thing so I will *shrug* since our Lumias have capacitive. It could be an HTC thing. I hope it is simply because I do not want on screen buttons on my high end phone.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Lmao the HTC 8x was still sold in stores for a good part of 2013. We see how long it took them to get that updated. Just because a phone is in stores does not mean it will get updated. Come on now you guys can't be this stubborn. Lmao I may be critical of the m8, but at least these points I make are valid.

You're harping because you can't see a display.

And now that is officially announced that it is getting denim you guys still want to hold it against it just because it is coming early 2015. Too funny.

Yet when the phone does get windows phone 8.1 and denim I do wonder what your excuse will be then since they will be on the same os.

But wait the HTC fans say that even if HTC stops supporting the m8 hypothetically at least we have dp....so why doesn't that same argument hold up for icon users who already are on 8.1?

Double standards are hilarious :)

The kicker will be if the icon manages to nab win10 before the m8 while being discontinued lmao.

Op, stick with what you have or give the icon a shot.

HTC 8whatever is not part of HTC Advantage. You just cannot handle another company being good. It is sad, really. BTW, early 2015 for icon was an estimate. MS has no clout to decide when an OEM agrees to release updates.

The reason why Icon on DP < M8 on DP, is lack of updated drivers and firmware. No double standard, just a fact.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
My Icon on DP was terrible so I agree. BTW I never once mentioned DP Superiorboy so mentioning "double standards" is hilarious!!!

I liken it to using AOSP on an Android phone without updated binary blobs. It will usually work, but the missing API hooks and updated drivers hurts the experience.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Off-topic: I wish WC would convert to a new forum software. It's ridiculously tedious using Vbulletin Forum software...part of the reason I just use the app or tapatalk to reply. I had to come on so I can accurately reply to you two.

I'd love to see a more modern software on WC such as my favorite Invision Power Board or if we must, Xenforo. Plus it be good to be able to get alerts instead of checking to see if someone replied.

Sorry. /off-topic rant over :p
HTC 8whatever is not part of HTC Advantage. You just cannot handle another company being good. It is sad, really. BTW, early 2015 for icon was an estimate. MS has no clout to decide when an OEM agrees to release updates.

The reason why Icon on DP < M8 on DP, is lack of updated drivers and firmware. No double standard, just a fact.

It isn't subjective if we compare our same usage equally across devices, which a sane person would do.

That is still subjective. For starters, to me good battery life is lasting 10 hours. If it can get through 10 hours without me needing to charge it, I am good. Anything past that and i'm blown away. I use my phone a WHOLE lot. It's constantly always going off with text, phone calls...me listening to music or going for a run and using this app or that app or playing games stuck in the airport traveling back and forth for work/school for east coast.

It is smart to compare your usage from phone to phone...However it is still subjective to YOU when you say the Icon has worse or better battery life than the M8. Not an overall fact.

So you cant just say it is a Pro or Con simply because your usage and expectations differ from my own and the next person. Besides for me, I always am either near a wall or have my portable charger for me so in reality my battery is almost never dead so I don't care really about battery life.

My Icon on DP was terrible so I agree. BTW I never once mentioned DP Superiorboy so mentioning "double standards" is hilarious!!!

I never said you mentioned it. Your fellow friend in M8 arms, link, mentioned it to me yesterday. If HTC somehow breaks their agreement or is slow with updating the M8 to Windows 10, that DP makes that irrelevant if HTC doesn't support it.

Which brings me to....
I liken it to using AOSP on an Android phone without updated binary blobs. It will usually work, but the missing API hooks and updated drivers hurts the experience.

I agree(look at us agreeing on something). DP is cool and all to get stuff at the first glance. I had a terrible experience with DP on my 1520. I did it for 8..1 and update 1....but no more.

That's why when people use the argument "We have DP" so it doesn't matter if this OEM or that OEM never updates the phone, we still have support from DP.

That's true but DP is buggy and for a lot of users(Samsung, HTC and Nokia) it has caused issues. The only way I'll do another preview is if Windows 10 comes out. But no more because I can wait :)

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Off-topic: I wish WC would convert to a new forum software. It's ridiculously tedious using Vbulletin Forum software...part of the reason I just use the app or tapatalk to reply. I had to come on so I can accurately reply to you two.

I'd love to see a more modern software on WC such as my favorite Invision Power Board or if we must, Xenforo. Plus it be good to be able to get alerts instead of checking to see if someone replied.

Sorry. /off-topic rant over :p

That is still subjective. For starters, to me good battery life is lasting 10 hours. If it can get through 10 hours without me needing to charge it, I am good.

It is not subjective. Battery life from one device to the next is measurable with the same usage. It has nil to do with what you define as good or bad battery life.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It is not subjective. Battery life from one device to the next is measurable with the same usage. It has nil to do with what you define as good or bad battery life.

Yes...Adrynalyne, that is subjective. It's measurable BY YOU....and your experience and your opinion and observation. That's subjective TO YOU. Not me. You.

to help you out

Subjective: Based on or influenced by personal feelings, experiences, tastes or opinions. To say that the battery life on the M8 is better than the Icon goes off of YOUR experiences and what YOU do with it. For someone else it can be worse.

For someone, the Camera on the M8 is the best thing(LOL) and better than any phone they used previously. Someone who used a Lumia and then goes to an M8 will likely feel completely different. Though in that case, it is actually proven the camera is better on the Lumia. But still even without being proven, that is still subjective between those who use it and expect different things from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb