04-02-2016 05:42 AM
153 12345 ...
tools
    I don't have a cover, I don't use apps, just websites... I just tried looking at a web site Ditch The Carbs - LCHF recipes, low carb, sugar free, wheat free, grain free, gluten free. Lose weight, gain health and nutrition. and I can't view it. It opens, takes me to the bottom of the page and I can scroll up but it takes me straight to the bottom again....
    My phone service provider says from their website: You will require a Dual Band 2100/900Mhz compatible device to access the Dual Band Network. Which is the same provider I had with my n900.
    I don't use a SD card either :)
    One minute I love the thing, the next I hate and and want to throw it through a window...
    12-29-2014 06:49 AM
    Odd, I have no issues accessing the site you linked.

Edit. Ok. I see what you are saying. Once it loads all the ad crap from the bottom of that site it jumps all over the place. Has nothing to do with the phone but the website.
    The problem disappears when I switch from display as mobile version to desktop version in browser setting
    12-29-2014 02:30 PM
    This is my first windows phone (I use both Android and iOS) and so far I am really impressed and I like it a lot more than I thought I was going to. The phone itself is pretty slick, the design and build quality are second to none. My only problem with the phone is the lag. Coming from two high end Android phones and even the iPhone 6, I am used to zero lag at all, so the lag on this phone can be rather annoying at times. I really wish they had a 930 that works on AT&T's LTE network because I'd get it in a heartbeat. The 830 was the best option they had.

My other issues are with Windows phone itself, apparently. No OTG support is a major drag, and the biggest problem which might end up being a deal breaker, is that I can't transfer files between the phone and my MacBook Pro running 10.6.8. The windows phone desktop client only works on 10.7 or higher, and I haven't been able to find any other way to do it.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 830
    12-29-2014 04:56 PM
    No OTG support is a major drag, and the biggest problem which might end up being a deal breaker, is that I can't transfer files between the phone and my MacBook Pro running 10.6.8. The windows phone desktop client only works on 10.7 or higher, and I haven't been able to find any other way to do it.
    WP has always emphasized information exchange via the cloud, rather than directly transferring data between devices. The recommended approach is to host all your shared data on OneDrive. Those files are then automatically synced across all devices with a connection to your outlook.com account. This works really well. If you're copying music back and forth between devices, you might also want to look into MS' cloud music matching service. Hope that helps.
    12-29-2014 05:28 PM
    WP has always emphasized information exchange via the cloud, rather than directly transferring data between devices. The recommended approach is to host all your shared data on OneDrive. Those files are then automatically synced across all devices with a connection to your outlook.com account. This works really well. If you're copying music back and forth between devices, you might also want to look into MS' cloud music matching service. Hope that helps.
    Using OneDrive is less than ideal for me, and adds an extra step and more downloading time when I want to transfer files. Google is also trying to push everybody to use cloud services too, and even though I am the very definition of an Android power user, I very rarely use Google Drive. At least with my Android phones I have both OTG and Android File Transfer that allows me to transfer files direct over USB. So far nothing I've tried is allowing me to transfer to the 830 over USB, not even 3rd party MTP syncing apps. I can use bluetooth but it's slow as molasses, and I did find a wifi file transfer app called Easy Transfer but it is far from perfect.

When it comes to music, keeping my files local is an absolute must. The only streaming service that has passable sound quality for me is Spotify because it uses 320 ogg when set to extreme. Even so, I'm a data hog so constantly streaming music is not really a viable option for me when I already come dangerously close to burning through my plan's 15gb monthly limit.

I'm really trying to make this phone work for me because so far I love practically everything about it (aside from the lag), so I am going to try my hardest to make due with the limited options I have.
    12-29-2014 08:46 PM
    Using OneDrive is less than ideal for me, and adds an extra step and more downloading time when I want to transfer files.
    That is only true if you have no more than two devices. If you have more than two (e.g. phone, tablet and PC) it reduces the number of steps required. More importantly, this creates a single and central point in the cloud, from where all other devices are synced. This makes file management a lot simpler and less error prone. At least it's a million times better than having to manually merge files that were updated differently on two or more of your devices, or having to keep track of which version of which data you have on every device.

Still, yeah, if you're just copying 60GB of video or local music files, then direct USB is preferable. This works just fine on a W8.1 PC with no extra steps required, but the WP app for mac has always seemed a bit fickle.

The other question is: Why not just update to 10.7 or higher and be done with the problem, rather than having to look for workarounds?
    prasath1234 likes this.
    12-30-2014 04:29 AM
    That is only true if you have no more than two devices. If you have more than two (e.g. phone, tablet and PC) it reduces the number of steps required. More importantly, this creates a single and central point in the cloud, from where all other devices are synced. This makes file management a lot simpler and less error prone. At least it's a million times better than having to manually merge files that were updated differently on two or more of your devices, or having to keep track of which version of which data you have on every device.

Still, yeah, if you're just copying 60GB of video or local music files, then direct USB is preferable. This works just fine on a W8.1 PC with no extra steps required, but the WP app for mac has always seemed a bit fickle.

The other question is: Why not just update to 10.7 or higher and be done with the problem, rather than having to look for workarounds?
    I don't like to update things that don't need to be updated. My computer runs perfectly the way it is, updating just isn't worth the risk of new bugs, etc. Same applies to my phones too- my iPhone is always at least one version behind, and even though both of my Android phones have 5.01 available to them (Nexus 5, 2014 Moto X), they are both still on 4.4.4. There is just no way I am updating the OS of my computer just to be able to transfer files to a smartphone, especially one that was never going to be my primary device.

It doesn't matter at this point though, I've decided to return the 830 and give up on Windows phone, at least for now. I really like the look of the OS, the animations, etc... What I didn't like was all the lag, the loading/resuming screens, jerkiness of the UI, unresponsiveness of scrolling, inability to choose default search provider, no Chrome browser, major lack of apps, and of course, not being able to transfer files. I definitely do see a ton of potential and will likely revisit the OS when it has a proper flagship to run it, but for now I'm gonna stick with Android.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    01-01-2015 11:53 AM
    I don't like to update things that don't need to be updated. My computer runs perfectly the way it is, updating just isn't worth the risk of new bugs, etc. Same applies to my phones too- my iPhone is always at least one version behind, and even though both of my Android phones have 5.01 available to them (Nexus 5, 2014 Moto X), they are both still on 4.4.4. There is just no way I am updating the OS of my computer just to be able to transfer files to a smartphone, especially one that was never going to be my primary device

Just wanted to point out that any update usually solves as many bugs as it creates, and if and update includes a patch for a known vulnerability then your system is by definition not fine without it.

A fear of updates, especially related to operating systems, is very unhealthy :)

Also you make the lives of programmers miserable by not updating.
    01-01-2015 01:11 PM
    Just wanted to point out that any update usually solves as many bugs as it creates, and if and update includes a patch for a known vulnerability then your system is by definition not fine without it.

A fear of updates, especially related to operating systems, is very unhealthy :)

Also you make the lives of programmers miserable by not updating.
    I don't have a fear of updates, I just don't see the need for them when everything is running fine as is. In the case of OSX, Apple made a lot of functionality changes in 10.7, ones I don't exactly like. I am very comfortable with the way 10.6.8 runs, and really don't want to have to relearn anything. Also, I've read a lot of reviews, specifically for my model MacBook Pro, that complain about slowdowns and overall sluggishness that wasn't present prior. Plus, I don't trust Apple- I think they deliberately cause problems for older devices in order to force you to upgrade hardware. iOS 8 runs like crap on the iPhone 5, yet it runs perfectly on the 5c which has identical hardware. The only explanation I can see is forced obsolescence. In the case of Android, I'm really not a fan of the look of Lollipop, which is the main reason why I'm keeping my Android phones on KitKat. The other is something called Xposed framework which allows you to do a TON of customizations to your ROM, and it doesn't work on Lollipop. So those two things are keeping me on KitKat until I am forced to upgrade, which will only happen when I buy a new device that ships with 5.0 or higher.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    link68759 likes this.
    01-01-2015 01:30 PM
    I don't have a fear of updates, I just don't see the need for them when everything is running fine as is. In the case of OSX, Apple made a lot of functionality changes in 10.7, ones I don't exactly like. I am very comfortable with the way 10.6.8 runs, and really don't want to have to relearn anything. Also, I've read a lot of reviews, specifically for my model MacBook Pro, that complain about slowdowns and overall sluggishness that wasn't present prior. Plus, I don't trust Apple- I think they deliberately cause problems for older devices in order to force you to upgrade hardware. iOS 8 runs like crap on the iPhone 5, yet it runs perfectly on the 5c which has identical hardware. The only explanation I can see is forced obsolescence. In the case of Android, I'm really not a fan of the look of Lollipop, which is the main reason why I'm keeping my Android phones on KitKat. The other is something called Xposed framework which allows you to do a TON of customizations to your ROM, and it doesn't work on Lollipop. So those two things are keeping me on KitKat until I am forced to upgrade, which will only happen when I buy a new device that ships with 5.0 or higher.

Still, though- excluding the possible worse performance (and incompatibilities), those problems you listed are only as big as YOU decide to make them. And if you know about and use xposed, I'm not buying that there'll be any learning curve worth mentioning.

Also, you specifically addressed one word (fear) of my post rather than the content there of. Call it what you will, aversion, indifference, fear; you should be updating unless there is an actual problem with the update and your hardware.
    01-01-2015 01:36 PM
    Still, though- excluding the possible worse performance (and incompatibilities), those problems you listed are only as big as YOU decide to make them. And if you know about and use xposed, I'm not buying that there'll be any learning curve worth mentioning.

Also, you specifically addressed one word (fear) of my post rather than the content there of. Call it what you will, you should be updating unless there is an actual problem with the update and your hardware.
    If we are talking about updates that don't change the look and feel of the OS, then generally I have no problem taking them. But the ones in question change the overall look and feel of the devices I use, and they are changes that I don't like. I have used practically every version of OSX past 10.6.8 on other machines, and I don't LIKE them. I don't like the core functionality changes that were made. Why should I update then when I don't actually like what I'll be updating to? Same goes for Android- I have a Lollipop ROM on my Nexus 5 as a secondary via MultiROM and have used it a whole bunch. I prefer KitKat. Again, why should I update when I don't LIKE Lollipop?

And to address the rest of your first post about vulnerabilities, Apple patches them in security updates for all versions of their OSes. I always take those updates, I just don't want to upgrade to the newer OS. In my 32 years of life, I have never gotten a virus or had any security related issues on any device I have owned. I don't live in constant fear of crap like that because I am extremely cautious with what I do on the Internet and things I install on my machines. I use common sense, which after all this time is still the best protection against digital attacks. I am not your average ignorant consumer, I am very technically inclined and know my way around the digital world. It's not only a hobby of mine, but I work in the technology industry. For the average person, yes I agree they should stay current. But for me, I am perfectly fine, and perfectly safe where I'm at.

01-01-2015 01:54 PM
    Careful about gloating over your street cred- you've never had a virus, or been on the receiving end of any vulnerability exploits as far as you are aware. Furthermore, leaving yourself open to them and saying you can avoid them is a bit like driving your car without wearing a seatbelt, claiming you don't need one because you've never been in an accident. Then one day someone rear ends you at a red light... Remember, it only needs to happen once.

While I agree that having experience and being cautious are a great first line of defense, it would be wiser to also have the flexibility of mind to adapt to UI and functionality changes. Since apple is back porting security patches to your device you'll be fine for now, but I don't know if you can say the same about Android.
    01-01-2015 02:05 PM
    Careful about gloating over your street cred- you've never had a virus, or been on the receiving end of any vulnerability exploits as far as you are aware.

While I agree that having experience and being cautious are a great first line of defense, it would be wiser to also have the flexibility of mind to adapt to UI and functionality changes. Since apple is back porting security patches to your device you'll be fine for now, but I don't know if you can say the same about Android.
    Oh I'm well aware of the implications of my attitude, and the day it bites me in the *** I promise I'll change my tune. But for now I just want to stick with what I am comfortable with. That said, I do not disagree with you at all and definitely do not recommend that other people follow my lead, for the exact reasons that you've outlined.

About Android, I know everyone who uses iOS and WP thinks it's so vulnerable (it's not) but if you know what you're doing and are as anal about your ROM and what's running on it as I am, you can keep yourself safe. One of the benefits of having a rooted device is having full control of anything and everything that runs on your phone. When you know what to do with that power, it's relatively easy to keep yourself protected. Seriously, my absolute last concern in life is a malicious attack on one of my Android phones.

link68759 likes this.
    01-01-2015 02:21 PM
    I specifically meant that lollipop might have vulnerability fixes that are not being back ported, not that Android is inherently insecure.

Although I would argue that having most of the functionality of the play store unavailable unless you remove your phones first line of defense, and also having a system where many OEMs and carriers can force bloatware and spyware upon you that can't be removed unless you take out your phone's first line of defense ... Is an ecosystem that just promotes horrible security practices and is fundamentally insecure to all but those with the knowhow and desire to root AND construct a properly secured environment. I'd argue that very few people actually do that. But that's a conversation for another day, another thread :)
    sahib lopez and tortex73 like this.
    01-01-2015 02:32 PM
    Oh I'm well aware of the implications of my attitude, and the day it bites me in the *** I promise I'll change my tune. But for now I just want to stick with what I am comfortable with. That said, I do not disagree with you at all and definitely do not recommend that other people follow my lead, for the exact reasons that you've outlined.

About Android, I know everyone who uses iOS and WP thinks it's so vulnerable (it's not) but if you know what you're doing and are as anal about your ROM and what's running on it as I am, you can keep yourself safe. One of the benefits of having a rooted device is having full control of anything and everything that runs on your phone. When you know what to do with that power, it's relatively easy to keep yourself protected. Seriously, my absolute last concern in life is a malicious attack on one of my Android phones.

Originally, I liked the idea of Android, but the reliance on Google (which is to be expected) killed the experience for me - unless something has changed since KitKat. And since I am no longer familiar with Android, tell me, can Google's services be totally avoided on Android if a user so wishes? TBH, I have (perhaps irrationally) more faith in MS (and probably in Apple) than in Google.
    01-02-2015 09:47 AM
    Originally, I liked the idea of Android, but the reliance on Google (which is to be expected) killed the experience for me - unless something has changed since KitKat. And since I am no longer familiar with Android, tell me, can Google's services be totally avoided on Android if a user so wishes? TBH, I have (perhaps irrationally) more faith in MS (and probably in Apple) than in Google.
    Aside from needing a Gmail account to access the play store, you can get away without using any other Google service, though I don't understand why you would want to. The thing I like most about Google over MS and Apple, is that their services work across all platforms, whereas MS and Apple keep people locked to their respective products. So no matter what phone I use, be it an Android, iPhone, or WP, I can put in my gmail account and have all my contacts. Google even has a great Drive app for iOS, though there isn't one for WP. I use Google wallet too, and can use that on iOS as well. I have an iPhone and an iPad and I don't really use any of Apple's services because Google's work so well cross-platform.

I'm curious, what is it about Android that you think is so heavily reliant on Google?
    01-02-2015 07:31 PM
    Aside from needing a Gmail account to access the play store, you can get away without using any other Google service, though I don't understand why you would want to. The thing I like most about Google over MS and Apple, is that their services work across all platforms, whereas MS and Apple keep people locked to their respective products. So no matter what phone I use, be it an Android, iPhone, or WP, I can put in my gmail account and have all my contacts. Google even has a great Drive app for iOS, though there isn't one for WP. I use Google wallet too, and can use that on iOS as well. I have an iPhone and an iPad and I don't really use any of Apple's services because Google's work so well cross-platform.

I'm curious, what is it about Android that you think is so heavily reliant on Google?
    ????

You're saying MS locks you into their platform and Google does not? I'm afraid you simply couldn't be more wrong... that's completely backwards.
    a5cent likes this.
    01-02-2015 07:44 PM

No, its not the case that I think there is anything about Android and Google per se. I used to be a very heavy Gmail user and still have a Gmail account which I use to access G+. But, I have also noticed that progressively (since 2005, that is), Google has been increasingly mining my mails and throwing up apps. Now, I don't mind that - free service etc. - but its their very in-your-face data mining activities that has turned me off Gmail services. I also prefer OneDrive (though MS does have an app for Android) as compared to GDrive. I don't use any of the Wallet features nor do I use its equivalents on any other platforms. My regret, however, is that usually, Android phones are quite cheap as compared to MS alternatives and some of the new devices that I have seen are quite drool-worthy actually.
    01-02-2015 08:15 PM
    ????

You're saying MS locks you into their platform and Google does not? I'm afraid you simply couldn't be more wrong... that's completely backwards.
    Correct! Each eco-system does try to lock users into their services. However, even in this scenario, MS is probably the most flexible eco-system considering their recent activities in pushing out their services to other platforms.
    01-02-2015 08:16 PM
    ????

While I may be wrong about MS, saying Google locks you to their platform is just absurd. The majority of their services are available across all platforms, and have been since before Android came to be. Remember, they weren't always in the OS business so with no platform of their own, they had to make their services available across the board. I use both OSX and Windows, iOS and Android, and all my Google stuff is easily accessed no matter what platform I'm on. The only reason why some of their stuff is limited on Windows Phone, is the same reason why everybody else's stuff is limited- WP just isn't that popular and doesn't have much market share at all, so developing for WP isn't a top priority.

Edit: Just wanted to add that on WP, you can't even change your search provider from Bing, just like Google is the default for Android. The only problem with that is who the hell uses Bing?? And on Windows 8, if you set a different browser as your default, Microsoft won't let you use the metro UI for IE. It's their browser or nothing.

No, its not the case that I think there is anything about Android and Google per se. I used to be a very heavy Gmail user and still have a Gmail account which I use to access G+. But, I have also noticed that progressively (since 2005, that is), Google has been increasingly mining my mails and throwing up apps. Now, I don't mind that - free service etc. - but its their very in-your-face data mining activities that has turned me off Gmail services. I also prefer OneDrive (though MS does have an app for Android) as compared to GDrive. I don't use any of the Wallet features nor do I use its equivalents on any other platforms. My regret, however, is that usually, Android phones are quite cheap as compared to MS alternatives and some of the new devices that I have seen are quite drool-worthy actually.
    Yeah well the mining is how Google makes their money so it comes with the territory. All of their services are free to the end user, so they have to make their money somehow, and that's through mining and subsequently, targeted ads. But the nice thing is you can opt out of a lot of it. And yeah, Android does have some really, REALLY nice phones. I'm using the 2014 Moto X and it's probably the nicest smartphone ever made. I've had 20+ smartphones since 2009 and the Moto X is easily my favorite. I really wanted to love the Lumina 830, but Nokia cut the wrong corners. It is just way too underpowered. If the 930 was available for AT&T I would probably still be using WP. But I am glad the 830 ended up being a dud, because I returned it, and put the money towards a Surface Pro 3 which is the coolest thing ever. Typing on it now, I'm in love :)
    Last edited by tortex73; 01-02-2015 at 09:21 PM.
    01-02-2015 08:57 PM
    Correct! Each eco-system does try to lock users into their services. However, even in this scenario, MS is probably the most flexible eco-system considering their recent activities in pushing out their services to other platforms.
    MS only pushing their services to those who has higher market share..
    Give me an eexample where MS offer their services which have lower market than MS.

GOogle and MS are doing same thing it's just their fan that call them evil or something.
    01-02-2015 09:10 PM
    MS applications and services are available for Mac OSX, and it has much lower market share.
    01-02-2015 09:21 PM
    MS applications and services are available for Mac OSX, and it has much lower market share.
    I knew it some one will mention Apple.
    yep Only Apple. What about others?

Everyone provide their application/services to apple because it got premium users base and it's very popular in USA.
    Even Google provide their services too.

If anyone tell that Google is evil then so does MS

Now tell me what is difference between Ms and Google.
    Both provide services to only those who got higher market share.(with exception of Apple).
    01-02-2015 11:23 PM
    I knew it some one will mention Apple.

Everyone provide their application/services to apple because it got premium users base and it's very popular in USA.
    Even Google provide their services too.

If anyone tell that Google is evil then so does MS

Now tell me what is difference between Ms and Google.
    Both provide services to only those who got higher market share.(with exception of Apple).
    All of Google's services are available on literally every platform that has an internet browser. From Gmail, to Drive, to Docs, etc... all available online.
    01-02-2015 11:31 PM
    Well, for one, MS just open sourced a decade's worth of .NET research & development, while also contributing to its reference implementation on Linux, which I think has around 2% desktop market share.
    That's a billion dollars+ worth of effort they gave away for free to anybody that wants it.
    That will also further strengthen ongoing efforts like Mono or Xamarin, which already do a god job of leveraging Microsoft's development technologies (C#, xaml) on competing platforms... oh yeah... all of that will also be coming to Chrome OS... a platform with even less market share than Linux.
    When was the last time Apple or Google contributed anything to the developer community, that wasn't focused specifically on there own ecosystems? Did they ever? Sun did it. IBM does it. MS has done a lot of it...
    You need look no further than these company's business models and culture to recognize that they can't possibly all behave identically. IMHO those differences matter, or at least they matter to me.
    01-03-2015 12:19 AM
153 12345 ...