Very unhappy with my 830's performance!

alacrityvirtue

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I just got my 830 last week. So far the problems I have had are:
? camera won't always zoom
? very very poor reception compared to my n900
? poor battery, not even a full day, taking photos with flash, a couple of calls and some web browsing
? windows Facebook app keeps closing so I have uninstalled it
? web page Facebook doesn't for on the screen until I go into a post and then back to the homepage
? intermittent scrolling lag
? backlight intermittently dulls and brightens
? jagged movement with scrolling
? very often have the loading screen, sometime pages won't load
? very often have the resuming screen
? gets hit quickly
The only things I like are the swipe function and the phones size.
Is my phone a lemon or am I expecting too much or doing something wrong?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I will say that I've has the 830 since October and I really haven't had any of those issues . I've had the opposite experience:).
Maybe you could hard reset and see if you get issues.
sent from my rare nokia lumia 810

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
1)
Flash uses a lot of juice. Don't use flash for your photos if it's at all avoidable. If the subject is motionless, then stabilize the camera by placing it on (or bracing it against) a stable surface before taking the picture. That will allow the sensor to measure light over a long period of time and result in a great picture. Not only will that avoid the washed out flash look, but your battery will last longer too.
Flash + Battery life are mutually exclusive on any device.
2)
Don't uninstall facebook. Keep it and wait for an update.

Beyond those two things... no, I can't say my 830 is experiencing any of the difficulties you are.
Being a bit more specific about when and under what circumstances you encounter loading screens /jitter/lag (or a video), might also help us to better help you.

PuffTheMagicBelgian

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree 100% with the OP.
Everything he stated is happening on my 830 and on my girlfriends 830, went back to the store and checked the 830's on display. They all had it!.
Some people keep defending they're 830 and i can relate to that, but comon people, this phone is not optimized as should be and IS doing everything the OP said! Compare it to an 820 and you will see, do you guys not see the same i see? U have magic phones? wtf

The jagged scrolling is the biggest issue in my opinion! I hate it. coming from a 820 that is what the eye catches the most. this screen is horrible, oversensitive or whatever i really don't know, but it's not the windows phone experience i was used to and hoping for when i purchased this phone!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ not defending anything. I really have none of those issues.
What I do occasionally see in some 3rd part apps is micro stutter. That isn't what you seem to be describing however.
Have you got your screen sensitivity set to "high", or are you using a low quality screen protector?

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest using Lumia software recovery to reinstall a fresh firmware. I am pretty sure this will fix all your problems.
As with lag/stutter in 3rd party apps is because the developers haven't optimized their xaml code. My app was laggy too till I spend around two hours optimizing the xaml code and now the animations and scrolling is perfect 👌.

Good luck with your Lumias 😃 and merry Christmas 🎄

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
What I do occasionally see in some 3rd part apps is micro stutter. That isn't what you seem to be describing however.
Have you got your screen sensitivity set to "high", or are you using a low quality screen protector?

I am right there with you, I have had absolutely no issues with this phone.

I would say to the OP, try out the facebook beta app, it gets the newest features / fixes first and has been stable for me.

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Do you have Cortana pinned? Some people have reported that large and medium-sized Cortana tiles cause laggy scrolling. The problem disappears if the tile is small or unpinned.

I've noticed that my 830 feels smoother than some display models for that reason. 😊

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As with lag/stutter in 3rd party apps is because the developers haven't optimized their xaml code.

Lag and stutter or not the same thing. I see zero lag. I do see micro stutter... on occasion.
Surely you are right about xaml optimizations, but with or without, it seems to me that micro stutter is more often an issue on the 830 than on other devices. I can't prove that though. Just my gut feeling so far.

PuffTheMagicBelgian

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

I would suggest using Lumia software recovery to reinstall a fresh firmware. I am pretty sure this will fix all your problems.
As with lag/stutter in 3rd party apps is because the developers haven't optimized their xaml code. My app was laggy too till I spend around two hours optimizing the xaml code and now the animations and scrolling is perfect ��.

Good luck with your Lumias �� and merry Christmas ��

No screen protector, screen is on "normal" sensitivity.
Lag is indeed maybe the wrong word to describe the problem with this phone. The stutter micro lag whatever u wanna call it is what kills it on this phone. i never saw this on my previous WP phone.

Not only in 3th party app's but yes! more often in those. The lumia app's and original app's are usually a lot smoother. It's only a phone i know..but coming from the 820 i was expecting at least the same fluidness and feeling when using the device, that phone was not even very well advertised in my country or a popular phne by any means, still it was leaps and bounds ahead of the "newer and better" (affordable flagship - lolol) Lumia 830!!

the problem is that when i take it to the store, all the other devices on display have the same stutter, so the staff is like,...this is normal with these phones. And none of them have sensitivity on high or the Cortana app, because Cortana is not available i my country yet!

I did use the Nokia recovery software and started fresh, so no backup, still same problem. maybe its the rom available for my country that does this, maybe its a screen problem, i wish i knew, the only thing i do know is that for the first time in years, i'm anxious. to get another phone cause of this.

Anyway's thx for the time and working your way true this wall of text
have a nice day ;-)

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Could you at least name one or two apps that you find particularly problematic, and describe where in those apps you see the micro stutter that is so bad it makes you want to change devices?
So far the allegations are very vague... too vague.

andrygun

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Can you put a video? Im not judging or so but just wondering if I actually have those issues (I consider my phone as having none of your issues)

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Between me and my gf, we have had none of those problems with ours. We've had 2 protos and 2 at&t versions. The only issue we have experienced is the wifi disconnecting but not showing a disconnection.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Might be a bit defective. Warranty replacement might be the way to go.
don't try to live with it as is. you'd be surprised how much people try to live with a surprisingly damaged device and assuming its normal.

PuffTheMagicBelgian

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I can't make a video, i don't have a device to do it with.

However,...

I can describe it a little better though, and i will try to find a you tube video or other article that show's what i mean.

The OP put these in the list, i think it is a good description of what is happening.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
? intermittent scrolling lag
? jagged movement with scrolling
? camera won't always zoom
? very often have the resuming screen

The scrolling jitters, micro stutter, lag, etc.. that i see happens is randomly, so not constantly!

Ok here we go.

Lock-screen.
--------------------------
- When i double tap, or use the power-button to unlock and swipe the lock-screen away, there is NO stutter.
However when i for instance want to shut the phone down to restart and hold the power button, when u have to slide the lock-screen down to turn device off, there is a heavy lag/stutter!

Home screen - Start screen
---------------------------------------------
- When i swipe up (scrolls to the to the bottom of the screen) there is almost always a hick-up, stutter when the list is scrolling up (finger of screen by now, slight tap towards side u want to scroll).
- When i swipe down to go back to top of screen, there is a 50% change of that same hick-up.
- When i swipe to the left, to bring up the app list, there is always a small delay, specially when u do it slow.
- When i'm in the app list and swipe right to go back to home screen, the same delay is present.
- When i hold my finger on the screen and swipe in a normal fashion (holding finger on screen the whole time) the lag/stutter is almost not noticeable!
(This is the opposite to my Lumia 820, when u held the finger on the screen i would have the same stutter i experience now when i let it flow (tap in direction of where u want it to go).*

To describe the delay part better, try this for yourself, swipe slowly to bring up the app list and u will notice that your finger can slide across the screen for a millimeter or 2 (maybe 1.5 lol) and nothing will happen. Now when u do this in a faster motion, there will be a slight delay in the animation. it's not a huge lag but still noticeable

Os menu's and navigation in general.
--------------------------------------------------------
- In some menu's (not all) i see a very noticeable stutter in the drop-down box animation.
- When selecting the sensitivity of the screen, that drop down box animation shows it the worst!

App's that are smooth or stutter.
--------------------------------------------------
Smooth app's: Internet Explorer - the Microsoft news app - MyShopi - Built in message app, mail app, phone those are all smooth with little to no stuttering going on.

Not so smooth app's: WCentral - Tapatalk - Skype - a lot of 3th party app's i uninstalled such as Nextgen reader - Facebook from Microsoft - the other popular jdb facebook app - Flipboard - Battery saver the list of programs stutters badly!
- The store is fine, but when typing there is a lag, the letters i type come like 1 second after i typed them on the screen. there is a lag there for sure, not present in any other app, typing is generally fine on the 830!

Video that kinda describes what i mean (only the hick up is showed here)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This person talks about it around the 5:30 mark
The little hang/stutter/micro-freeze is what i am experiencing.
( apparently i cannot post links yet so u will have to paste this you tube link in your browser yourself :eck:)

watch?v=xvUkV2p9V_Y#t=328

On a previous account here on WCentral i posted this threat (Lumia 820 --> Lumia 830 - Scrolling lag etc.)
U can find this on the forum easily by searching for that title!

I hope this clarifies what i was trying to say.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I will be blunt, the cpu is not up to the task it is asked to do on the 830. Read the review on AnandTech. It needed to be more powerful at this price point. Nice phone, but a 1020 beats it in most cpu related areas. Unfortunate...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I hope this clarifies what i was trying to say.

It does. Thank you. While using the previous version of Tapatalk I do remember seeing some micro stutter now and then. Since the last update I haven't seen it again. Battery saver rarely has a very slight jitter to it, as if it was skipping a frame. Still you'd have to be very picky to even notice. Nextgen reader looks absolutely smooth to me.

It definitely sounds like something is wrong. What firmware and OS version have you got (full version number)?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea