Very unhappy with my 830's performance!

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
No wonder after all L830 have SD 400(a budget phone processor)
It has same processor as L630(except RAM) so no matter how fancy build quality or additional feature it got, at the end of the day performance will be same as budget phones.

L830 is all about looks & additional features than performance.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree 100% with the OP.
Everything he stated is happening on my 830 and on my girlfriends 830, went back to the store and checked the 830's on display. They all had it!.
Some people keep defending they're 830 and i can relate to that, but comon people, this phone is not optimized as should be and IS doing everything the OP said! Compare it to an 820 and you will see, do you guys not see the same i see? U have magic phones? wtf

The jagged scrolling is the biggest issue in my opinion! I hate it. coming from a 820 that is what the eye catches the most. this screen is horrible, oversensitive or whatever i really don't know, but it's not the windows phone experience i was used to and hoping for when i purchased this phone!

"other people aren't having the same experiences I have? They're lying or have magic devices!"

I'm curious as to how you tested a number of those things on display models (how you tested battery life has my interest), but perhaps you shouldn't be comparing your buggy phone to a display model (which is abused and ruined by hundreds of people a week). That will give you confirmation bias for certain :)

I suggest you look around the forums for a guide on flashing.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
No wonder after all L830 have SD 400(a budget phone processor)
It has same processor as L630(except RAM) so no matter how fancy build quality or additional feature it got, at the end of the day performance will be same as budget phones.

L830 is all about looks & additional features than performance.

That would make sense, if any of the things being complained about required anything more than minimal CPU and GPU performance. The notion that tapatalk, or the battery saver app, scrolling a page without massive lag or jerkyness should require anything more than a budget phone is simply ridiculous. That others, including myself, can't reproduce these issues on our own devices should be proof enough that this isn't a general, performance related problem. Obviously, a country specific bug in firmware could possibly cause a critical performance hit, so lag/jerkiness may be a performance issue in that sense. However, in that case the sane solution would be to fix the bug, rather than to just throw more powerful hardware at it.

Last edited:

oshintao

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi, Im new on this forum , but Im and older reader of WC.

I just can say that the lag he might say it could be about Denim ,I say this because on my L720 since I upgrade to Denim Im having some scroll issues that I"d never had.

And talking about the lag on some App, or the reboot on those App, have you considered the microSD card? Why Im saying this?.. Because I also notice the Camera App, somes games and other apps( like fb, tweeter,etc) take a long time to launch when before doesnt, i get a new microSD card SDXC class 10 (because mine looks like star to had some problems) and I changued to save the pictures to my pone and the apps crashed desapear.

Idk if this may help in something!.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Right, i have had my 830 for a long time now and i can say this, if you get microstutter then there is something wrong, i am personally hugely sensitive to stutter of all kinds and the only time the 830 should stutter is in very heavy games or poorly coded crap apps or having cortana pinned to start.

Unless you are running Dev preview, i ran the preview for a while and it did introduce massive ammounts of stutter in animations, almost as if the refreshrate had been lowered to 30 from 60, or an odd number like 45. I tried staying as long as i could on the preview but an update later and no change i jumped back on stock software and all was fine again. In regards to battery life the record for me is 5 days with wifi running, 2G network and cell data enabled, this was mostly standby apart from the occasional wakeup. With frankly insane usage you should get around 5 hours (nearly constant full load) and with "normal" heavy usage easially a days worth.

I have compared my 830 to most flagships of today and except for other win phones (930, 1520) there is nothing that has the same fluid feel in it's OS and handling. As stated earlier, if you have reboots, stutter, hangs, and so on then something is most definetly wrong, it could be hardware (broken/incompatible sd card makes this phone go bonkers) but more likely it's a poorly coded app.

In regards to your problems with reception it can be a few things, first would be if you use a case/bumper on this phone it will reduce the signal by huge ammounts, this could be down to how the antennas are placed and handled. Another is what network you are actually using, manually choosing a network can be a very good thing, if you want to go further then choosing the type of network is even better. I live in an area with pisspoor reception and without my GSM repeater running nearly all phones will loose connection from time to time and on the frequencys used here my 830 outperforms a Z3 compact with ease (along with nexus 5 and iP6)

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Some of your issues have been addressed above, but the mention of micro stutter makes me suspect either a poor app with some issues, or as posted above that you're on the developer preview?

alacrityvirtue

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't have a cover, I don't use apps, just websites... I just tried looking at a web site Ditch The Carbs - LCHF recipes, low carb, sugar free, wheat free, grain free, gluten free. Lose weight, gain health and nutrition. and I can't view it. It opens, takes me to the bottom of the page and I can scroll up but it takes me straight to the bottom again....
My phone service provider says from their website: You will require a Dual Band 2100/900Mhz compatible device to access the Dual Band Network. Which is the same provider I had with my n900.
I don't use a SD card either :)
One minute I love the thing, the next I hate and and want to throw it through a window...

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Odd, I have no issues accessing the site you linked.

Edit. Ok. I see what you are saying. Once it loads all the ad crap from the bottom of that site it jumps all over the place. Has nothing to do with the phone but the website.
The problem disappears when I switch from display as mobile version to desktop version in browser setting

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
This is my first windows phone (I use both Android and iOS) and so far I am really impressed and I like it a lot more than I thought I was going to. The phone itself is pretty slick, the design and build quality are second to none. My only problem with the phone is the lag. Coming from two high end Android phones and even the iPhone 6, I am used to zero lag at all, so the lag on this phone can be rather annoying at times. I really wish they had a 930 that works on AT&T's LTE network because I'd get it in a heartbeat. The 830 was the best option they had.

My other issues are with Windows phone itself, apparently. No OTG support is a major drag, and the biggest problem which might end up being a deal breaker, is that I can't transfer files between the phone and my MacBook Pro running 10.6.8. The windows phone desktop client only works on 10.7 or higher, and I haven't been able to find any other way to do it.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 830

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
No OTG support is a major drag, and the biggest problem which might end up being a deal breaker, is that I can't transfer files between the phone and my MacBook Pro running 10.6.8. The windows phone desktop client only works on 10.7 or higher, and I haven't been able to find any other way to do it.

WP has always emphasized information exchange via the cloud, rather than directly transferring data between devices. The recommended approach is to host all your shared data on OneDrive. Those files are then automatically synced across all devices with a connection to your outlook.com account. This works really well. If you're copying music back and forth between devices, you might also want to look into MS' cloud music matching service. Hope that helps.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
WP has always emphasized information exchange via the cloud, rather than directly transferring data between devices. The recommended approach is to host all your shared data on OneDrive. Those files are then automatically synced across all devices with a connection to your outlook.com account. This works really well. If you're copying music back and forth between devices, you might also want to look into MS' cloud music matching service. Hope that helps.

Using OneDrive is less than ideal for me, and adds an extra step and more downloading time when I want to transfer files. Google is also trying to push everybody to use cloud services too, and even though I am the very definition of an Android power user, I very rarely use Google Drive. At least with my Android phones I have both OTG and Android File Transfer that allows me to transfer files direct over USB. So far nothing I've tried is allowing me to transfer to the 830 over USB, not even 3rd party MTP syncing apps. I can use bluetooth but it's slow as molasses, and I did find a wifi file transfer app called Easy Transfer but it is far from perfect.

When it comes to music, keeping my files local is an absolute must. The only streaming service that has passable sound quality for me is Spotify because it uses 320 ogg when set to extreme. Even so, I'm a data hog so constantly streaming music is not really a viable option for me when I already come dangerously close to burning through my plan's 15gb monthly limit.

I'm really trying to make this phone work for me because so far I love practically everything about it (aside from the lag), so I am going to try my hardest to make due with the limited options I have.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Using OneDrive is less than ideal for me, and adds an extra step and more downloading time when I want to transfer files.

That is only true if you have no more than two devices. If you have more than two (e.g. phone, tablet and PC) it reduces the number of steps required. More importantly, this creates a single and central point in the cloud, from where all other devices are synced. This makes file management a lot simpler and less error prone. At least it's a million times better than having to manually merge files that were updated differently on two or more of your devices, or having to keep track of which version of which data you have on every device.

Still, yeah, if you're just copying 60GB of video or local music files, then direct USB is preferable. This works just fine on a W8.1 PC with no extra steps required, but the WP app for mac has always seemed a bit fickle.

The other question is: Why not just update to 10.7 or higher and be done with the problem, rather than having to look for workarounds?

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
That is only true if you have no more than two devices. If you have more than two (e.g. phone, tablet and PC) it reduces the number of steps required. More importantly, this creates a single and central point in the cloud, from where all other devices are synced. This makes file management a lot simpler and less error prone. At least it's a million times better than having to manually merge files that were updated differently on two or more of your devices, or having to keep track of which version of which data you have on every device.

Still, yeah, if you're just copying 60GB of video or local music files, then direct USB is preferable. This works just fine on a W8.1 PC with no extra steps required, but the WP app for mac has always seemed a bit fickle.

The other question is: Why not just update to 10.7 or higher and be done with the problem, rather than having to look for workarounds?

I don't like to update things that don't need to be updated. My computer runs perfectly the way it is, updating just isn't worth the risk of new bugs, etc. Same applies to my phones too- my iPhone is always at least one version behind, and even though both of my Android phones have 5.01 available to them (Nexus 5, 2014 Moto X), they are both still on 4.4.4. There is just no way I am updating the OS of my computer just to be able to transfer files to a smartphone, especially one that was never going to be my primary device.

It doesn't matter at this point though, I've decided to return the 830 and give up on Windows phone, at least for now. I really like the look of the OS, the animations, etc... What I didn't like was all the lag, the loading/resuming screens, jerkiness of the UI, unresponsiveness of scrolling, inability to choose default search provider, no Chrome browser, major lack of apps, and of course, not being able to transfer files. I definitely do see a ton of potential and will likely revisit the OS when it has a proper flagship to run it, but for now I'm gonna stick with Android.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't like to update things that don't need to be updated. My computer runs perfectly the way it is, updating just isn't worth the risk of new bugs, etc. Same applies to my phones too- my iPhone is always at least one version behind, and even though both of my Android phones have 5.01 available to them (Nexus 5, 2014 Moto X), they are both still on 4.4.4. There is just no way I am updating the OS of my computer just to be able to transfer files to a smartphone, especially one that was never going to be my primary device

Just wanted to point out that any update usually solves as many bugs as it creates, and if and update includes a patch for a known vulnerability then your system is by definition not fine without it.

A fear of updates, especially related to operating systems, is very unhealthy :)

Also you make the lives of programmers miserable by not updating.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to point out that any update usually solves as many bugs as it creates, and if and update includes a patch for a known vulnerability then your system is by definition not fine without it.

A fear of updates, especially related to operating systems, is very unhealthy :)

Also you make the lives of programmers miserable by not updating.

I don't have a fear of updates, I just don't see the need for them when everything is running fine as is. In the case of OSX, Apple made a lot of functionality changes in 10.7, ones I don't exactly like. I am very comfortable with the way 10.6.8 runs, and really don't want to have to relearn anything. Also, I've read a lot of reviews, specifically for my model MacBook Pro, that complain about slowdowns and overall sluggishness that wasn't present prior. Plus, I don't trust Apple- I think they deliberately cause problems for older devices in order to force you to upgrade hardware. iOS 8 runs like crap on the iPhone 5, yet it runs perfectly on the 5c which has identical hardware. The only explanation I can see is forced obsolescence. In the case of Android, I'm really not a fan of the look of Lollipop, which is the main reason why I'm keeping my Android phones on KitKat. The other is something called Xposed framework which allows you to do a TON of customizations to your ROM, and it doesn't work on Lollipop. So those two things are keeping me on KitKat until I am forced to upgrade, which will only happen when I buy a new device that ships with 5.0 or higher.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a fear of updates, I just don't see the need for them when everything is running fine as is. In the case of OSX, Apple made a lot of functionality changes in 10.7, ones I don't exactly like. I am very comfortable with the way 10.6.8 runs, and really don't want to have to relearn anything. Also, I've read a lot of reviews, specifically for my model MacBook Pro, that complain about slowdowns and overall sluggishness that wasn't present prior. Plus, I don't trust Apple- I think they deliberately cause problems for older devices in order to force you to upgrade hardware. iOS 8 runs like crap on the iPhone 5, yet it runs perfectly on the 5c which has identical hardware. The only explanation I can see is forced obsolescence. In the case of Android, I'm really not a fan of the look of Lollipop, which is the main reason why I'm keeping my Android phones on KitKat. The other is something called Xposed framework which allows you to do a TON of customizations to your ROM, and it doesn't work on Lollipop. So those two things are keeping me on KitKat until I am forced to upgrade, which will only happen when I buy a new device that ships with 5.0 or higher.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Still, though- excluding the possible worse performance (and incompatibilities), those problems you listed are only as big as YOU decide to make them. And if you know about and use xposed, I'm not buying that there'll be any learning curve worth mentioning.

Also, you specifically addressed one word (fear) of my post rather than the content there of. Call it what you will, aversion, indifference, fear; you should be updating unless there is an actual problem with the update and your hardware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb