Very unhappy with my 830's performance!

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Not quite. Microsoft is a Software company, they are there to sell their software, services and devices to customers. Google is an Advertising company. Their purpose is to mine data to SELL to companies wanting to sell their products, and push advertisements to potential customers for there products.

I trust Microsoft more than I do Google for the simple fact that Microsoft's main purpose is NOT to sell my data to companies, but to sell their products and services to me.
Google doesn't sell your data. It is in Google's best interest to NOT sell your data. This is a huge misconception thrown around casually

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Google doesn't sell your data. It is in Google's best interest to NOT sell your data. This is a huge misconception thrown around casually

They may not sell your data directly to companies, but they do sell their services to direct advertise to you using the data they collected. I personally am sick and tired of advertisements. If I want a product, I do the research and decide if I want it. I do not need it spoon fed to me everywhere, with everything you could possibly slap an advertisement on.

My personal hate for this has to do with a Christmas present I was researching for my wife. I made the mistake of using Google to do the research on it, well for a few weeks I had advertisements popping up on EVERY website I visited in regards to the present I had been researching. It almost ruined the surprise because my wife does use my computer, and does google occasionally to search as well. Had she been paying attention, she would have figured out the present weeks before I even ordered it. It took me a long while of searching for a few other things for the advertisements to roll over to the new "interest"

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
And This thread change to Google is evil, untrustworthy company who sell users personal data and MS not because we are the fan(with half info) of MS.
Same thing Again & again.

Lets back to topic
Dissatisfaction from L830.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Aren't you forgetting Android here sir.
Open source Android to Developers community.

No. I'm not forgetting. Android is not what I was asking about. If Google would contribute their ART runtime for all Java developers to use on all platforms, or very notably improve upon fundamentals of the Java language constructs and language spec, then it would be comparable. Those would be the type of things on par with MS contributions to the advancement of the software engineering profession as a whole. I specifically asked about the contribution of technologies that are of utility/value beyond just one company's own ecosystem. All we can mention in Google's favor is Android, which is no longer really open source, nor of relevance to anything beyond Android itself.

Your desire to view all players as behavioural equals is blinding you just as much as those who refuse to see Google as anything but "evil" and MS as anything but good. On a side note: I don't think anybody really agrees with the good vs. evil mindset. Google probably brought that on themselves with their "do no evil" slogan.

Last edited:

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
No. I'm not forgetting. Android is not what I was asking about. If Google would contribute their ART runtime for all Java developers to use on all platforms, or very notably improve upon fundamentals of the Java language constructs and language spec, then it would be comparable. Those would be the type of things on par with MS contributions to the advancement of the software engineering profession as a whole. I specifically asked about the contribution of technologies that are of utility/value beyond just one company's own ecosystem. All we can mention in Google's favor is Android, which is no longer really open source, nor of relevance to anything beyond Android itself.
Your desire to view all players as behavioural equals is blinding you just as much as those who refuse to see Google as anything but "evil" and MS as anything but good.

I don't understand why not Android.
As far as my knowledge goes companies like Cyanogen Mod , Amazon etc using open source Android.

You can't expect Google will contribute same thing as MS.
You asked me about Art , I asked you why not WP or Windows?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You can't expect Google will contribute same thing as MS.

You asked me about Art , I asked you why not WP or Windows?

But it would be fair to expect both companies to make similar contributions, right? What you are doing is akin to comparing two people who contribute 1 dollar and 1 billion to cancer research and then calling the contributions equal because they both contributed.

And yes... the entire .NET infrastructure and runtime is a huge part of both Windows and WP!

I don't understand why not Android.

As far as my knowledge goes

Like I said, those "contributions" are completely irrelevant to anything outside the Android ecosystem itself. That's not in the same league as contributing things that advance the state of the industry and the software profession as a whole. That's the difference.

I'll let you have the last word, as you are right that it's off topic. I just completely disagree with the view that these companies are all essentially the same and that it makes no difference what consumers choose. All will strive to become monopoly powers, but how the tech world works and is run is very much shaped by which of these company's is more successful, leading to very different tech landscapes, to which I'm not all equally sympathetic.

Last edited:

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
As far as my knowledge goes companies like Cyanogen Mod , Amazon etc using open source Android.

Yes and no. There's some dirty politics here. Getting a company like Amazon to take Android and use it for their own devices was a huge benefit to a growing Android in the face of iPhone's massive market share. Now that Android has a firm footing, Google sees Amazon not as an ally, but a competitor. So, in order to compete with Amazon, Google has been silently pouring more functionality into their proprietary, closed source play services. The open source part of Android alone is actually rather bare bones, forcing Amazon to implement redundant (also closed source) features to bring parity to their own devices.

Meanwhile, Google has also added to their SDK a number of hooks that make the lives of developers easier, but if you use them the closed source play services are a required dependency for your app to run... Android's fragmentation problem is not just for OS versions, but increasingly the OS is growing fragmented between different OEMs! Such a mess.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes and no. There's some dirty politics here. Getting a company like Amazon to take Android and use it for their own devices was a huge benefit to a growing Android in the face of iPhone's massive market share. Now that Android has a firm footing, Google sees Amazon not as an ally, but a competitor. So, in order to compete with Amazon, Google has been silently pouring more functionality into their proprietary, closed source play services. The open source part of Android alone is actually rather bare bones, forcing Amazon to implement redundant (also closed source) features to bring parity to their own devices.

Meanwhile, Google has also added to their SDK a number of hooks that make the lives of developers easier, but if you use them the closed source play services are a required dependency for your app to run... Android's fragmentation problem is not just for OS versions, but increasingly the OS is growing fragmented between different OEMs! Such a mess.

This will be my last comment to this topic.

I don't understand what dirty politics you are talking about?
Google is doing business not charity.
Apply this logic where ever you think it is dirty politics. Everything will be crystal clear.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
This will be my last comment to this topic.

I don't understand what dirty politics you are talking about?
Google is doing business not charity.
Apply this logic where ever you think it is dirty politics. Everything will be crystal clear.

The way in which one conducts business is still subject to ethical concerns, despite your implied "business is business" outlook on the matter. There's certainly no scandal here, but the end result of this squabble is decidedly anti consumer, which is really all that I intended to bring up.

I'd just like to point out that you focused on one rather irrelevant word without addressing or acknowledging the actual content of my post. I don't find that very sporting.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused, should get it, or wait for a new Lumia??
It depends. If I had the money I would wait another couple months for a top quality phone from MS. I don't and after I purchased the L830 my wife and I are very happy with our L830s. It's a great "call it what you like" or side-grade from the L920 we had before.
You have to make that decision. My opinion from the posts I've read and the reviews I've seen, the L830 is a good phone.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the posts deviated a lot from the original discussion, coming back to L830's performance, W8.1 has stutters and lag, ppl with 525 535 730 735 may put up with it but 830 is pricey, and ppl dont expect sub par performance with it, MS branded it as affordable flagship but irony is, its neither affordable nor flagship. I would suggest OP to either take 930 or take 730, with 730 atleast he'll be happy that he's not bought a pricey device and seeing stutters/lags

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I think the posts deviated a lot from the original discussion, coming back to L830's performance, W8.1 has stutters and lag, ppl with 525 535 730 735 may put up with it but 830 is pricey, and ppl dont expect sub par performance with it, MS branded it as affordable flagship but irony is, its neither affordable nor flagship. I would suggest OP to either take 930 or take 730, with 730 atleast he'll be happy that he's not bought a pricey device and seeing stutters/lags

The 730s are nowhere to be found. And they go for 450 on Amazon and eBay, when in stores here, that's what they charge you for a 830. I was looking for a 730 to offer as a gift, ended up just getting a 1020 when they went 50% off on the Microsoft Store.

Darth litku

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I been using 830 for almost 3 weeks... I already used 720 and 1320... My only complaint is that when in wifi/data i feel that my battery drains faster than my previous phone. And when zooming in there is a delay... But other than that i havent experienced problems some of the users experiencing...

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
i still have no idea wtf these stutters and lags are lol

i had a Moto X 1st gen before and i feel the 830 is so much snappier!

the only times you might notice some lag is when heavy tasking but even then, it's not that bad!

about choosing another search provider, it is possible through IE! now throw their own search tool, AKA, the surch button down there...ofc not! does Google let you change the provider from the (official) search bar in the main screen? I don't think so!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo