Very unhappy with my 830's performance!

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
i still have no idea wtf these stutters and lags are lol

i had a Moto X 1st gen before and i feel the 830 is so much snappier!

the only times you might notice some lag is when heavy tasking but even then, it's not that bad!

about choosing another search provider, it is possible through IE! now throw their own search tool, AKA, the surch button down there...ofc not! does Google let you change the provider from the (official) search bar in the main screen? I don't think so!

I still have my 2013 Moto X and did a side by side when I had the 830 and the X was MUCH more responsive and did just about everything faster than the 830 does. It has a better processor and more RAM so that's to be expected. The 830 was incredibly laggy no matter what I was doing. And no, you can't change the search provider from the Google search bar on your home screen. But you can install search bars (widgets) from other providers, even Bing. Observe-

Mmb6x92.png

alacrityvirtue

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Well the reception on my L830 is just dismal, I would change straight away (once I sold mine) for something else if I can find something, the problem is I don't kow what phone to get..

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I still have my 2013 Moto X and did a side by side when I had the 830 and the X was MUCH more responsive and did just about everything faster than the 830 does. It has a better processor and more RAM so that's to be expected. The 830 was incredibly laggy no matter what I was doing. And no, you can't change the search provider from the Google search bar on your home screen. But you can install search bars (widgets) from other providers, even Bing. Observe-

http://i.imgur.com/Mmb6x92.png

The moto X was a Ok phone. Too expensive for the specs. And had some serious overheating issues. I've personally seen alot of complaints (Worked for Rogers Tech support until mid 2014). And the camera was underwhelming. For the Ram I agree, but its a Dual Core Krait, not much better than the Quad Core on the 830. Per core performance sure, but in multiple threads apps, the Moto X is left behind.

bh5213

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I have had my L830 since Novemeber. It has been a great phone for me, especially since I upgraded from a Samsung Focus 2. The only issues I have seen on my phone is the occasional search and back button doesn't work. I would say about 95% of the time it, the back/search buttons work fine. Sometimes the pinch/zoom doesn't seem to function as smoothly as I would like it. Other than that, it has been a great phone.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
The moto X was a Ok phone. Too expensive for the specs. And had some serious overheating issues. I've personally seen alot of complaints (Worked for Rogers Tech support until mid 2014). And the camera was underwhelming.

I couldn't disagree more. The Moto X was an AMAZING phone, best one ever made at that point. People tend to focus way too much on specs, when in reality it is user experience that is important. Motorola knew that, and tried to do something different with the X and in my eyes succeeded with flying colors. When I was using the X as my main phone, I also had a Nexus 5 and the X was every bit as smooth, snappy, and fast as the N5 because of how optimized it was. And the features that Motorola gave it were game changers, especially Active Display. The Moto X was the first phone I had ever used that didn't make me want to flash a custom ROM on it, just because of how awesome the UX already was, I saw zero room for improvement. I still have my 2013 X and whenever I pick it up I still feel like I am holding something special. I have the 2014 Moto X as well, and sometimes wish Motorola didn't make the phone bigger, because I think the form factor/ergonomics of the 2013 were perfect. I do agree that the camera wasn't the greatest, but for my needs it was more than acceptable. I've never heard anything about overheating problems, and certainly haven't had any.

I'm curious, did you actually own the X? Because I've never talked to anyone who owned it that wasn't completely blown away by it. It's usually the people who never owned one who complain about its specs.

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't disagree more. The Moto X was an AMAZING phone, best one ever made at that point. People tend to focus way too much on specs, when in reality it is user experience that is important. Motorola knew that, and tried to do something different with the X and in my eyes succeeded with flying colors. When I was using the X as my main phone, I also had a Nexus 5 and the X was every bit as smooth, snappy, and fast as the N5 because of how optimized it was. And the features that Motorola gave it were game changers, especially Active Display. The Moto X was the first phone I had ever used that didn't make me want to flash a custom ROM on it, just because of how awesome the UX already was, I saw zero room for improvement. I still have my 2013 X and whenever I pick it up I still feel like I am holding something special. I have the 2014 Moto X as well, and sometimes wish Motorola didn't make the phone bigger, because I think the form factor/ergonomics of the 2013 were perfect. I do agree that the camera wasn't the greatest, but for my needs it was more than acceptable. I've never heard anything about overheating problems, and certainly haven't had any.

I'm curious, did you actually own the X? Because I've never talked to anyone who owned it that wasn't completely blown away by it. It's usually the people who never owned one who complain about its specs.

I had it for about 2 months before I got my M7 in Red. In canada it was either the white or black, like anywhere but the states. Working for Rogers had its advantages as we used to get phones very cheap (225$ For a Moto X). And it was nothing from the other world. Maybe because the M7 was superior in any other way, the moto x felt old or something. I didn't had to try the new one, but I'm not saying it was a bad phone, it was a Ok one. I had it in white.

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I had it for about 2 months before I got my M7 in Red. In canada it was either the white or black, like anywhere but the states. Working for Rogers had its advantages as we used to get phones very cheap (225$ For a Moto X). And it was nothing from the other world. Maybe because the M7 was superior in any other way, the moto x felt old or something. I didn't had to try the new one, but I'm not saying it was a bad phone, it was a Ok one. I had it in white.

I don't think the M7 was superior at all. I had it, and while I thought it was a great phone, it just wasn't for me. I'm not a fan of OEM skins, though Sense is nowhere near as offensive as TouchWiz. I also didn't like how tall it was and I thought it had way too much bezel. Those speakers were amazing though. To me, the M7 was just another smartphone and what you saw was what you got. The X on the other hand, was greater than the sum of its parts and was truly innovative. But we can agree to disagree. To each their own, right? :)

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the M7 was superior at all. I had it, and while I thought it was a great phone, it just wasn't for me. I'm not a fan of OEM skins, though Sense is nowhere near as offensive as TouchWiz. I also didn't like how tall it was and I thought it had way too much bezel. Those speakers were amazing though. To me, the M7 was just another smartphone and what you saw was what you got. The X on the other hand, was greater than the sum of its parts and was truly innovative. But we can agree to disagree. To each their own, right? :)

The M7 has a sharper screen, better sound, more power, more storage (32vs16 as standard), better built quality and materials, slightly bigger battery and htc has been doing a great job at updating the phone. But I understand that you liked the Moto X better, as you said, after all its just a matter of taste. As for me, now my M7 is accumulating dust like my other phones around, because I am happy with the 830! Hehe 😁

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
The M7 has a sharper screen, better sound, more power, more storage (32vs16 as standard), better built quality and materials, slightly bigger battery and htc has been doing a great job at updating the phone. But I understand that you liked the Moto X better, as you said, after all its just a matter of taste. As for me, now my M7 is accumulating dust like my other phones around, because I am happy with the 830! Hehe ��

But see, that's what makes the X so special. There are a lot of phones with sharper screens, better sound, more powerful processors, etc... but all that stuff doesn't necessarily translate to a better user experience. That's why I said the X was greater than the sum of its parts. I used to be all about specs and had to have the latest and greatest, that is until I got the X. The X taught me that numbers aren't everything, and to this day I still think it had the best out of box experience of any smartphone I've owned (which is a LOT). Apple has been focused on user experience since day one, and even though people like to bash the iPhone's specs, there is no denying that it is an absolute beast performance-wise and it has a UX that is almost unparalleled. But yeah, my X is now collecting dust, I've since moved on to the new Moto X as my primary phone, the iPhone 6 as my secondary, and I still use my Nexus 5 from time to time. I'm pretty upset that the 830 didn't work out for me as I still really want to have a Windows phone to go along with my Androids and iPhone.

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
But see, that's what makes the X so special. There are a lot of phones with sharper screens, better sound, more powerful processors, etc... but all that stuff doesn't necessarily translate to a better user experience. That's why I said the X was greater than the sum of its parts. I used to be all about specs and had to have the latest and greatest, that is until I got the X. The X taught me that numbers aren't everything, and to this day I still think it had the best out of box experience of any smartphone I've owned (which is a LOT). Apple has been focused on user experience since day one, and even though people like to bash the iPhone's specs, there is no denying that it is an absolute beast performance-wise and it has a UX that is almost unparalleled. But yeah, my X is now collecting dust, I've since moved on to the new Moto X as my primary phone, the iPhone 6 as my secondary, and I still use my Nexus 5 from time to time. I'm pretty upset that the 830 didn't work out for me as I still really want to have a Windows phone to go along with my Androids and iPhone.

I like having conversations with you haha! In a positive way, you know your stuff as I know mine and its pleasant.

anon5658834

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
No screen protector, screen is on "normal" sensitivity.
Lag is indeed maybe the wrong word to describe the problem with this phone. The stutter micro lag whatever u wanna call it is what kills it on this phone. i never saw this on my previous WP phone.

Not only in 3th party app's but yes! more often in those. The lumia app's and original app's are usually a lot smoother. It's only a phone i know..but coming from the 820 i was expecting at least the same fluidness and feeling when using the device, that phone was not even very well advertised in my country or a popular phne by any means, still it was leaps and bounds ahead of the "newer and better" (affordable flagship - lolol) Lumia 830!!

the problem is that when i take it to the store, all the other devices on display have the same stutter, so the staff is like,...this is normal with these phones. And none of them have sensitivity on high or the Cortana app, because Cortana is not available i my country yet!

I did use the Nokia recovery software and started fresh, so no backup, still same problem. maybe its the rom available for my country that does this, maybe its a screen problem, i wish i knew, the only thing i do know is that for the first time in years, i'm anxious. to get another phone cause of this.

Anyway's thx for the time and working your way true this wall of text
have a nice day ;-)

Mate,your not the only one. Since WP 8.1 the OS has become worse. I've had the 1520,1320,735 and all of those handset's suffered from poor jerky scrolling issues in many apps like 6 Tag,Instagram etc. Your not imagining it. Also the screen dimming issue this happened on all replaced 735 handsets I had and NO it wasn't on auto brightness. Didn't matter which setting I used the screen would randomly dim alot. For the micro stutter or jerky scrolling it is there and it's either poor app optimisation,poor WP OS or the GPU is crap in these phones. Either way I think many of you fail to understand these issues they are there. I've experienced these issues on 3 different WP handsets and my once favourite OS is now no longer so. I've gone back to Android and it's as fast and smooth over WP. Another issue for me is IE11 is so so slow in comparison to Android browsing and pages never render correctly it's since 8.1 came about. I think Microsoft needs to speed things up they are not only slow with sorting out issues and updates. Their OS is now much heavier than it used to be and since new feature were added it's having lag issues in apps. Poor optimisation and WP needs it's caching system sorted too the whole thing is a mess.

gurrala74

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Hmm..interesting discussion guys. Its week I bought my 830 and used a 620 for 2 years. 830 looks amazing to me in every department. I often listen to the low end processor, battery capacity, less RAM, BUT guys try and understand the OS optimisation plays a big role here and WP just requires half of what Android phones use. So this is very it looks excellent specs when you see the android phone in similar price range, but believe me on lag free performance its WP any day and yes IOS too.

My one week experience with 830

-No lag whatsoever
-Excellent fluidity
-IPS screen is pretty good
- Camera is just awesome. Front cam can take some great pics with Lumia selfie app and great clarity on skype calls
- Sleek and perfect fit in the hands and a flat screen easy too read anything
- Glance is excellent and double tap to wake up works quite well
- Played with couple of popular games and no lag or anything

Only issue I too noticed is the back button doesn't respond quickly, may be this is common across many devices and expect MS to fix the problem.

Overall I can say it is worth the money and yes a mid range flagship which can out through many phones in this range

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I feel there's lag in some of the games on my l730 too. Possibly some issue with the GPU.

The L730 and L830 and L1320 are all poor choices for gaming. They all have comparatively weak CPU's coupled with higher resolution displays (1280x780) giving them the worst GPU/resolution performance ratio of all Lumias.
To render a single frame, the L630 must do less than half the work (at 800x480), yet has the exact same GPU power to do it with. That's why a L630 can render a lot more frames to the screen in the same amount of time, making scrolling and animation smoother.
The 630 is the better device for gaming, at least in terms of performance. On the flip side, you sacrifice some compatibility with games requiring 1GB of memory.
Apps don't normally use a lot of GPU power, but if for some reason they do have performance bottlenecks in the GPU/resolution department, then that problem will rear it's head on those same three device first.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site

sorry, I still can't see my 830 lagging '-' just a few minutes ago I was playing Halo Spartan Assault without a single bit of lag!

I never notice any lag while running around the OS and if some app lags, might not be the system fault!

and ofc Android will seem faster, multi-tasking works in a different way! but I tell you...just like in my 830, leave an app for a LONG time in background and it WILL reload when called back, it just doesn't say "resuming" lol

but if I switch all the time among apps, I rarely see a resuming screen!

yes, the Moto X is a pretty awesome phone but the 830 delivers an amazing experience as well, and I'm not really sure how some people find it so laggy lol

would you mind describing the times you find it laggy? maybe I really can't realize it or I have a magical device lol

p.s: those search bars are hideous, except from Google and Bing ones! crap, like most of the widgets! sorry but the live tiles concept beat them 10 out of 10 lol

I'd rather stay with Google one than ruining my home screen with that ugly crap!

dacarter77

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
My daughter and I have had our 830's for a couple of months now and they are both great. She was killing her 920 battery in less than a day, and the 830 lasts her all day and more. The performance is excellent for us and several items are improved such as WIFI reception. I have a metal garage and use a Remote app to control iTunes while working on cars. The 830 works much better than the 920 for this. Very happy with the 830!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss