Very unhappy with my 830's performance!

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
sorry, I still can't see my 830 lagging '-' just a few minutes ago I was playing Halo Spartan Assault without a single bit of lag!

I never notice any lag while running around the OS and if some app lags, might not be the system fault!

and ofc Android will seem faster, multi-tasking works in a different way! but I tell you...just like in my 830, leave an app for a LONG time in background and it WILL reload when called back, it just doesn't say "resuming" lol

but if I switch all the time among apps, I rarely see a resuming screen!

yes, the Moto X is a pretty awesome phone but the 830 delivers an amazing experience as well, and I'm not really sure how some people find it so laggy lol

would you mind describing the times you find it laggy? maybe I really can't realize it or I have a magical device lol

p.s: those search bars are hideous, except from Google and Bing ones! crap, like most of the widgets! sorry but the live tiles concept beat them 10 out of 10 lol

I'd rather stay with Google one than ruining my home screen with that ugly crap!

I don't have the phone any longer so I can't really go through and tell you everywhere it lags and doesn't lag. From memory, the keyboard was incredibly laggy in some apps and it drove me nuts. It was worst in tapatalk and was often words behind. I saw the resuming screen about 30% of the time when I hit the home key, and there were just unnecessarily long pauses when opening apps, and even when switching between ones that were already open (and of course, a ton more resuming screens). There was input lag and the screen was often way behind my finger when scrolling, not to mention that there was a ton of jerkiness when scrolling. Halo did play surprisingly well, but there were more than a few frame drops when there was a lot of stuff going on at once.

If you are used to owning slower/ non-flagship phones, then it's harder to notice lag because it's the norm for you. For me, all the phones I own or have owned have been flagships, and the 830 was literally the lowest end and least powerful phone I've owned in years. For me, the lag was very blatant and incredibly annoying. If it wasn't, I'd still have it as I liked everything else about it.

As far as those widgets are concerned, I only installed them to make a point, that Google isn't the only search option from the home screen. There are more search widgets out there, and you can even create your own and make them look however you want with Zooper or UCCW. Live tiles are great and I'm definitely a fan, but they are not even close to being as versatile or as customizable as widgets are on Android.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't have the phone any longer so I can't really go through and tell you everywhere it lags and doesn't lag. From memory, the keyboard was incredibly laggy in some apps and it drove me nuts. It was worst in tapatalk and was often words behind. I saw the resuming screen about 30% of the time when I hit the home key, and there were just unnecessarily long pauses when opening apps, and even when switching between ones that were already open (and of course, a ton more resuming screens). There was input lag and the screen was often way behind my finger when scrolling, not to mention that there was a ton of jerkiness when scrolling. Halo did play surprisingly well, but there were more than a few frame drops when there was a lot of stuff going on at once.

If you are used to owning slower/ non-flagship phones, then it's harder to notice lag because it's the norm for you. For me, all the phones I own or have owned have been flagships, and the 830 was literally the lowest end and least powerful phone I've owned in years. For me, the lag was very blatant and incredibly annoying. If it wasn't, I'd still have it as I liked everything else about it.

As far as those widgets are concerned, I only installed them to make a point, that Google isn't the only search option from the home screen. There are more search widgets out there, and you can even create your own and make them look however you want with Zooper or UCCW. Live tiles are great and I'm definitely a fan, but they are not even close to being as versatile or as customizable as widgets are on Android.

that's really weird...i didn't really notice those lags you described, and I had the Moto X (1st gen) for almost a year before!

most reviews I see, be it tech sites or users, even comparisons with the 930, show it to be a really good and fair performer!

maybe you got a faulty device, who knows?

and even tho widgets might be more customizable, live tiles are still more efficient and practical, I like having all my info in one screen, at a glance!

you can't really do that with Android and not have a polluted screen! I know there is many launchers but I never liked the ones that crammed too much info on one screen, since Android was made for multiple screens use

in that sense, live tiles simplicity is better for those who seek for easily having available all the info they want!

but to each his own...lets hope WP10 might make you wanna give it another chance! and probably not with a 830, there will surely be new devices!

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
that's really weird...i didn't really notice those lags you described, and I had the Moto X (1st gen) for almost a year before!

most reviews I see, be it tech sites or users, even comparisons with the 930, show it to be a really good and fair performer!

maybe you got a faulty device, who knows?

and even tho widgets might be more customizable, live tiles are still more efficient and practical, I like having all my info in one screen, at a glance!

you can't really do that with Android and not have a polluted screen! I know there is many launchers but I never liked the ones that crammed too much info on one screen, since Android was made for multiple screens use

in that sense, live tiles simplicity is better for those who seek for easily having available all the info they want!

but to each his own...lets hope WP10 might make you wanna give it another chance! and probably not with a 830, there will surely be new devices!

It's possible mine was defective but knowing the SOC it has and the lack of RAM, I don't think that's likely. I don't know why you don't think you can view all your info at a glance on Android without your screen looking cluttered... ever hear of chronus or dashclock? This is my main home screen on my 2014 Moto X, it's a lot cleaner looking than my 830 was with 100 live tiles. The two icons above the dock are folders, one for games and one for apps-

FJlVwSv.jpg

That's just my main home screen, I have other info (monthly calendar, system info like CPU, RAM, storage) on other screens. With Android, you can literally make it look any way you want, and you are only limited by your imagination. If you go to mycolorscreen.com. You can see some truly great home screen ideas. I can understand a lot of the complaints some people come up with about Android, but anybody who says it's ugly or cluttered, or anything relating to appearance just has no clue how to actually use it. Because again, you can make Android look LITERALLY however you want.

But yeah, like I've said before, I have not given up on Windows phone. I absolutely love the UI, and I really do like the live tiles. I just wish there was a phone available with top specs. Gonna keep my eyes open, because the moment something comes along that impresses me, I'll be jumping on it.

Last edited:

anon5658834

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
It's possible mine was defective but knowing the SOC it has and the lack of RAM, I don't think that's likely. I don't know why you don't think you can view all your info at a glance on Android without your screen looking cluttered... ever hear of chronus or dashclock? This is my main home screen on my 2014 Moto X, it's a lot cleaner looking than my 830 was with 100 live tiles. The two icons above the dock are folders, one for games and one for apps-

http://i.imgur.com/FJlVwSv.jpg

That's just my main home screen, I have other info (monthly calendar, system info like CPU, RAM, storage) on other screens. With Android, you can literally make it look any way you want, and you are only limited by your imagination. If you go to mycolorscreen.com. You can see some truly great home screen ideas. I can understand a lot of the complaints some people come up with about Android, but anybody who says it's ugly or cluttered, or anything relating to appearance just has no clue how to actually use it. Because again, you can make Android look LITERALLY however you want.

But yeah, like I've said before, I have not given up on Windows phone. I absolutely love the UI, and I really do like the live tiles. I just wish there was a phone available with top specs. Gonna keep my eyes open, because the moment something comes along that impresses me, I'll be jumping on it.

Can anyone here who is saying their 830 has no stutter etc try scrolling through their Instagram news feed using 6tag and scroll through their own photos using Instagram Beta. Both those apps suffer terrible stuttering on the 735,1320 and so I've read the 830 aswell. It's either poor app optimisation or the GPU with screen res. I also find that IE11 is slow and X Box music is still a total mess. Why is it Microsoft cannot sort out their music app?? Why does it take so long to read all the music on the memory card first time?? When on Android it takes a few seconds?? They are a software company with crap software 😕

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I just scrolled though many pages of newsfeeds in 6tag on my 830.
Buttery smooth as silk. No lag or stuttering at all.
You obviously had something wrong going on with your phone.
I don't use IE on the phone (nor at home on the PC or desktop) so I can't comment on that.

Fred

Can anyone here who is saying their 830 has no stutter etc try scrolling through their Instagram news feed using 6tag and scroll through their own photos using Instagram Beta. Both those apps suffer terrible stuttering on the 735,1320 and so I've read the 830 aswell. It's either poor app optimisation or the GPU with screen res. I also find that IE11 is slow and X Box music is still a total mess. Why is it Microsoft cannot sort out their music app?? Why does it take so long to read all the music on the memory card first time?? When on Android it takes a few seconds?? They are a software company with crap software 😕

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I remember that phone, it's the Evangelion one, right? It's got a pretty slick theme but it looks completely impractical.

More or less. The theme is actually 3D so it looks even prettier in person, but I don't get any practical use out of the setup. I just have a page of my most used apps that I switch to, so functionally it's like IOS.

I need to hire someone from xda to root it for me one of these days so I can actually make it worth using...

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
More or less. The theme is actually 3D so it looks even prettier in person, but I don't get any practical use out of the setup. I just have a page of my most used apps that I switch to, so functionally it's like IOS.

I need to hire someone from xda to root it for me one of these days so I can actually make it worth using...

It doesn't look like there is a simple one-click root for that phone, but I did find some step by step instructions, translated from Japanese. Honestly, I wouldn't attempt doing this if you aren't familiar with the android SDK or ADB. This is the type of stuff we used to have to do back in the day to get our phones rooted. [Q] Root for Sharp Aquos SH-06D - Pg. 2 | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't look like there is a simple one-click root for that phone, but I did find some step by step instructions, translated from Japanese. Honestly, I wouldn't attempt doing this if you aren't familiar with the android SDK or ADB. This is the type of stuff we used to have to do back in the day to get our phones rooted. [Q] Root for Sharp Aquos SH-06D - Pg. 2 | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

Thanks, and I'm familiar with rooting, I'm just not good enough to actually go through the process of finding a vulnerability and exploiting it, which is why I need to get someone to do it for me. If there were actually steps to root it I would have done so already. The steps you have provided are for an older version- the phone has been shipping with ICS for quite some time.

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, and I'm familiar with rooting, I'm just not good enough to actually go through the process of finding a vulnerability and exploiting it, which is why I need to get someone to do it for me. If there were actually steps to root it I would have done so already. The steps you have provided are for an older version- the phone has been shipping with ICS for quite some time.

Have you tried "Towelroot"?

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
There's also "Kingo Android Root". I've tried the Kingo on a Asus Tab and a HTC phone and worked. Also Towelroot in a few nexus and sony phones. Good luck!

tortex73

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

Wow, I'm surprised it actually got ICS. I just watched a video review on it, the UI is actually really neat. How smooth/choppy is the 3D animation in the UI?

There's also "Kingo Android Root". I've tried the Kingo on a Asus Tab and a HTC phone and worked. Also Towelroot in a few nexus and sony phones. Good luck!

Out of curiosity, why would you use towelroot on a Nexus? All you have to do is a couple fastboot commands to unlock the boot loader and flash recovery and then flash SU from recovery. The whole process takes MAYBE two minutes.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I've checked also other users at my office and honestly none of them complained about this model. Now depends on each person, how they use their device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)