Sent Lumia 1520 for a warranty repair; has it been fixed?

L1011_Pilot

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

About two weeks ago I sent my Nokia Lumia 1520 to Microsoft Mobile for a warranty repair. I got the updates and in about two days my phone status changed from received to repaired. On the 24th of December I got an email from Microsoft indicating that my phone has been shipped back to me along with a UPS tracking number along with a PDF copy of the repair order and its outline of jobs done. Microsoft states they did the following to my phone to repair it:

- Passed software update
- Passed complete functional test
- Passed complete RF test
- Passed quality inspection

Based on someone else's previous experience dealing with Nokia warranty repairs, do you know if my phone was fixed? I've sent the unit due to some screen discoloration and also phantom touch problems with my 1520 unit. I am afraid Microsoft never bothered to repair my unit.

Thanks for any help on this matter...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
you probably can't tell until you power it on.

that doc just says that it passed their tests, so it SHOULD be good to go.

flipmack

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I sent mine in twice (for touchscreen issues) and both repair forms indicated the exact same thing...however, with the first 'repair' the screen problems got worse - there was no way a software update was going to fix a hardware issue. I sent it in a second time and the repair form said the exact same thing, but the screen was physically different and even the back housing was different. A few weeks later, I received a call from Nokia asking about my experience with my "swapped" phone.

Suffice it to say, the "SWAPPED" 1520 is working great. Time will tell though and see if the screen issues reappear. With that said, I don't carry the phone in my pants pocket anymore...

L1011_Pilot

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Just a quick update (and it is not pretty :crying:) I just unboxed my device and the phone is in worse condition externally than when I sent it (despite the fact that the screen which was the faulting module has been repaired correctly). The front glass gorilla cover is filled with linear scratches that indicate the cover was dragged over a surface something my original Gorilla Glass cover did not had as I always put a screen protector on my phone. But... to make matters much much worse :eck: ... The Pureview camera has a dust particle trapped between the camera lens and its cover glass.

Needless to say that I am less than happy with this development and contacted Microsoft on the issue in writing and plan to do so over the phone tomorrow, but honestly I don't even know if I'll be lucky. What can I do aside from contacting Microsoft and considering ditching my Nokia phone for another Lumia device?

Thanks!

sk1d_mark

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Did you guys post your phones for repair or take them to a shop ? I need to get my screen fixed, but dont like the shops round here.

Many thanks
Mark

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Just a quick update (and it is not pretty :crying:) I just unboxed my device and the phone is in worse condition externally than when I sent it (despite the fact that the screen which was the faulting module has been repaired correctly). The front glass gorilla cover is filled with linear scratches that indicate the cover was dragged over a surface something my original Gorilla Glass cover did not had as I always put a screen protector on my phone. But... to make matters much much worse :eck: ... The Pureview camera has a dust particle trapped between the camera lens and its cover glass.

Needless to say that I am less than happy with this development and contacted Microsoft on the issue in writing and plan to do so over the phone tomorrow, but honestly I don't even know if I'll be lucky. What can I do aside from contacting Microsoft and considering ditching my Nokia phone for another Lumia device?

Thanks!
When you get this nightmare straightened out, get a nilken glass cover. This screen is big and susceptible to cracks.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Personally I would pay a local shop to do it. Ok... So your paying ?200 when it can be done for free under warranty but at least you know the job will be done, easy to collect and if anything is wrong you can leave it in the shop the moment you see it. Plus if they bigger it up they have to buy you a new phone.so they don't want to do that so they take extra care. With Microsoft its just another day in the office. If they much up then it doesn't matter as the customer don't know who mucked the phone up and it just gets resent to the repair shop again. Just my personal opinion anyway 😊

L1011_Pilot

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I wrote to Nokia via their Care chat and they said they will be escalating the issue, but in the afternoon of the first they wrote an e-mail doing their best to do damage control...
Nokia Response.PNG

Needless to say I was (am) flat-out appalled by their response so, I sent them another email with more pictures of the damage to my unit:
20150101_134411.jpg
20150101_135515.jpg
Dust in Pureview Sensor 2.jpg
Dust in Pureview Sensor 4.jpg

There's also a video but I won't attach more items, they responded back today assuring that they understand my disappointment and that someone will call me in regards to the issue. I hope Microsoft can do right on the matter but in hindsight, I would have been better off sending this phone to a third party authorized repair center instead of Microsoft's because their "very strict guidelines" clearly haven't been followed. I can assure that my phone screen didn't have any deep and small scratches when I turned in my unit as I had used a protective film cover on my phone during the whole previous year of ownership. And if there's something that bugs me even more than the screen scratches is the dust particle over the sensor, it's just inexcusable.

Attachments

• 20150101_135512.jpg
    20150101_135512.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

L1011_Pilot

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Personally I would pay a local shop to do it. Ok... So your paying ?200 when it can be done for free under warranty but at least you know the job will be done, easy to collect and if anything is wrong you can leave it in the shop the moment you see it. Plus if they bigger it up they have to buy you a new phone.so they don't want to do that so they take extra care. With Microsoft its just another day in the office. If they much up then it doesn't matter as the customer don't know who mucked the phone up and it just gets resent to the repair shop again. Just my personal opinion anyway
After this... I 100% agree with you, lesson learned.

Marty89

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
This is pretty common in Nokia care. They used to have the best customer services in their glory days but now the people that repair the phones don't care and they are able to send you back repaired phone but with another damage caused by them. Friend got his 930 back with damaged metal frame after he sent it for repair because of loose screen.

L1011_Pilot

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
This is pretty common in Nokia care. They used to have the best customer services in their glory days but now the people that repair the phones don't care and they are able to send you back repaired phone but with another damage caused by them. Friend got his 930 back with damaged metal frame after he sent it for repair because of loose screen.
It is certainly something I would not expect from Nokia and Microsoft. I just hope they can do right by me and issue a repair.

L1011_Pilot

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I have another up player on my ordeal. Last week I got a cask from a Nokia Care Escalation team worker and asked me to reply to an email from their staff showcasing ask the damages and dusty intrusion that was done to my Lumia during repair.

After two days of sending the email I got another call from Nokia Care and the rep told me that they had approved a replacement unit to be sent to my home and that it will be different from the original one. They just asked me to make a new repair order and just give them the UPS tracking number in the day I drop it off at the UPS store. Well, today I did just that and called Nokia they said that ask I have to do now is wait until Nokia gets the unit at the repair center and then I will get the details of the repaired unit.

I hope this is the end of my ordeal and that the problem is rectified swiftly.

Shaz2012

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I had sent my phone in for repair and got the exact same email. The phone will arrive today so I have my fingers crossed that it was swapped.

Shaz2012

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, got mine back today, problem is fixed, oh man did i miss this phone. Lumia 635 is fine, was actually getting used to it but once i held the 1520, the fond memories of ease of use flooded back into me and i just couldn't put the phone down. Looks like they either replaced the screen or swapped the phone. I had a small scratch near the ear phone and it's no longer there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire