Help Decide between 1020 and 1520 ?

mjoshi123

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm iPhone user primarily but planning on moving to Lumia series for its design and interface. I'm using Cricket Wireless and technically it looks like Pre-paid version of AT&T. I'm seeing on ebay and Amazon unlocked 1020 and 1520. My primary concern with 1020 is just 32GB of storage space and being more than 18 months old with regards to processor and hardware design. At present I use iPhone 5s with 64GB storage and still run out of space from time to time due to my music and pictures collection.
For 1520 I'm still not sure how good it will be to carry in pocket due to its large size. Anyone here tried using it and felt it was way oversized for single handed use ? I personally like 1520 for its more current hardware specs.

Thanks

Vincentius Dalton

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Unless either you really prioritize the 41 MP sensor in Lumia 1020 or Lumia 1520 feels too big in your hand, go for Lumia 1520. With the recent Lumia Denim update, you get blazingly fast Lumia Camera, 4K video recording, and most excitingly Hey Cortana 😁

I also believe that Lumia 1520 is more future-proof.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a big phone. The biggest (?) perhaps, along with one or two other 6" phones.

You'll get used to it so long as you aren't a skinny jeans type.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Go to a Cricket store and handle the 1320, it's about the same size as the 1520. I don't know if you have small hands or large, so I can't tell you how it'll feel. Spec-wise, the 1520 trumps the 1020 and will receive newer features. The 1520 also has the added benefit of SD card storage which the 1020 does not.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Ive owned both 1020 and 1520... If your coming from an iPhone, the 1020 is a logical choice.. size-wise, however, the 1520 is an amazing phone, but it can take a few days to get used to the size, especially from an Apple device, but since getting my 1520.. ive never looked back.

Why i like the 1520 over 1020:

- Bigger IPS screen for videos and movies.
- Very Loud and clear Speaker, I can even hear it in busy crowds.
- SD cared support (Although thats not a biggy for me as 32GB is ok for me ..Personnally)
- Amazing battery life.. seriously.. it never dies.. I get about 3 - 4 days on light use.
- Great Camera.. lovely dyname range and colours.

Why ide get the 1020 over the 1520.

- 41 MPx camera is incredible, even the 5MPx image is stunning.. but unless your a keen photographer, you may find 41MPx unnecessary, plus also camera can be slow to open up and between shots and battery draining, due to procressing power
- Small and compact, easily fits in any pocket which is perfect for holiday snaps and pro photography days out.
- AMOLed screen is sharp and clear, with deep blacks, which can often have better viewing angles to IPS
- No SD card to mess around with, which means certain apps can load faster.

And thats about it, IMO, for the 1020. Dont get me wrong its an amazing phone and for me.. specs and benchmarks dont matter a jot as long as the phone does what i bought it to do.. Im happy.

The 1520 has so many advantages over the 1020, first being updates, my advise though is dont get bogged down by specs and benchmarks, buy what feels right for you.

Good luck :)

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I have the 1520 and the size is not an issue as I got used to it in a few days. Personally I wear baggy clothes so it fits in perfect with no problems and it has a case on too. I would take the shot and get the 1520

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have both on att (1020's glass is broken but works). I would seriously get the 1520. THe 1020 creates awesome pictures BUT is very slow and almost useless if your taking a picture of something fast moving. Both using cyan firmware the 1520 is faster . With denim it will be almost instant for the 1520. The 1520 also has sd card support . The 1020 does not. the 1520 has raw support also and can still do down conversion and lossless zoom.

The 1520 also has sensor core which comes in handy if you like tracking things like how many miles you have walked. Go to an att store or Microsoft store to see if its too big. It fits in my jean and coat pockets just fine. The size has been growing on me . Originally I thought it would be too big.

anon(8098745)

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
If size is a concern then i would suggest Lumia 930 but you will miss out on SD card slot.Hardware wise it is future proof.I wish WP had USB OTG support.If sensor size is what u are looking for then 1020 is the phone for u. Lumia 1520 checks all the right boxes, It has 20MP cam that is more than enough,its got a better hardware which is future proof.It also has a SD card slot so no running out of space.The only downside according to me is the size but hey if u got big hands then it should not be an issue:p.
Good Luck!!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If size is a concern then i would suggest Lumia 930 but you will miss out on SD card slot.Hardware wise it is future proof.I wish WP had USB OTG support.If sensor size is what u are looking for then 1020 is the phone for u. Lumia 1520 checks all the right boxes, It has 20MP cam that is more than enough,its got a better hardware which is future proof.It also has a SD card slot so no running out of space.The only downside according to me is the size but hey if u got big hands then it should not be an issue:p.
Good Luck!!

^^ All True ^^

​Add 930 no Glance, 1520 yes Glance.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
If you get the RM 938/1520.3 version, you can even use Qi wireless charging!

I got mine a while back, and like it a great deal. When jumping up from something of a smaller size, be careful at first that you have a good grip on the phone when you start messing with it, particularly if you are going to try to use it one handed. The bigger size makes it easier to drop at first, but after you get used to it, it gets better.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all, im going with 1520 - as it works fine with Cricket Wireless and will be relatively more future proof.

Great choice! You won't be disappointed.. I've had both, the 1020 has the best camera of any smart phone on the market to date, yes, and I was worried at first about upgrading to the 1520 and losing that awesome camera, but after using the 1520's camera a few times, all those worries were completely squashed! The 20MP Pureview camera in the 1520 uses all of the same imaging technology as the 1020, and takes AMAZING photos! Plus you'll be able to get all the upcoming Denim firmware/camera enhancements etc that the 1020 will not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6