Is the Lumia 930 a viable upgrade from an 8X?

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
My contract on my HTC 8X is coming to an end and I'm looking for a viable upgrade. The main option looks to be the Lumia 930 - is the best option I've got at the moment?

I have no issues with my 8X, so haven't ruled out keeping it and dropping to a SIM only deal and saving some money. But if the 930 is a worthwhile upgrade I'll give it a go.

Thanks.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Upgrades for you would be Lumia 930, Icon or HTC M8. Better devices all around. Bigger, heavier phones for sure, but much faster, better cameras and much nicer displays.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I walked around the phone shops at lunchtime and saw the 930. It looks good. The 830 also looks good, probably slightly better visually, and it's cheaper, but it's specs don't really make it a compelling upgrade from my 8X.

I ruled out the M8 as it doesn't have a dedicated camera button.

Bashar Awwad

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I had the 8X for almost 2 years until it started giving me lots of problems. That's when I upgraded to the 930, its a great phone. I would upgrade if I were you, the screen looks so much more bigger than the 8X eventhough its not that much bigger and it looks beautiful.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I walked around the phone shops at lunchtime and saw the 930. It looks good. The 830 also looks good, probably slightly better visually, and it's cheaper, but it's specs don't really make it a compelling upgrade from my 8X.

I ruled out the M8 as it doesn't have a dedicated camera button.
About the 830 compared to your 8X.

Bigger screen.
Better camera.
Better battery.
Better performance (WP8.1 really likes quad cores).
Support for SDcards.
Guaranteed updates and new features because it's a newer phone

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all.

I've decided to stick with the 8X for a while. The 930 is nice, but would cost more per month and I'm not looking to increase my mobile bill. I accept the above differences with the 830, and it would be slightly cheaper than I'm paying now, but it's not enough of a step up to lock myself into a two year contract. So, I'm chopping my bill by almost two thirds and dropping down to a 30 day SIM only deal for the moment.

I'll stick with the 8X until the 930 drops in price, my 8X dies or it stops getting developer preview updates - which I suspect may be close given the delay in getting WP8.1.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, an hour later and a change of plan!

I phoned T-Mobile/EE yesterday to end my contract and though they offered a discount on the 930, it was still too much so I got the PAC code to leave. EE have just phoned me back and have offered a good enough deal to keep me. My monthly bill actually goes down by ?1 but I am paying ?50 upfront for the handset. Over two years that means I'm ?2 worse off, which I can deal with!

Plus point: It's the orange one! Also switching from T-Mobile to EE proper means going from 3G to 4G - at work anyway, still only 3G available at home.
Negative point: I'll be moving from an unlocked to a locked handset. At least I can use developer preview to bypass the carrier (un)approval step.

(T-Mobile have form for not approving updates - my old Samsung Omnia 7, that my son has now, is still on WP7.5 because it's a locked handset and the WP7.8 update was never carrier approved)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa