Lumia 1020 vs Canon 5D Mark II (my short comparison)

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That is a fair comparison as far as I am concerned. The two sets of photos were taken in the same light and focus distance. The 1020 ROCKS. There is no phone camera that even holds a candle to the 1020.

No it is not a fair comparison. They are not side by side comparisons of identical scenes. The backgrounds vary as do ambient and background lighting, not to mention shutters speeds and apertures. You have also provided no details regarding the configuration of the six year old DSLR or how the files were processed. For my money, they look like decent P&S images compared to minimally processed DSLR raw images shot as if shooting with a P&S camera, then converted straight to jpg.

Yes, they look nice (mostly) but they compare nothing at all. In fact, to me they show the great limitation of all P&S cameras with over packed sensors - an artificial emphasis on detail over color, DOF, bokeh, and overall lighting. They also demonstrate a well known fact. If you take an expensive DSLR and use it like a P&S camera, 1) the results will be mediocre (at best) and 2) you wasted the money buying such an expensive camera. This is even more true given it is a second generation full frame camera released at the start of 2009. I am sorry but I do not see the "wow" in anything here (can manage about the same with a 928 under those settings). I also do see a DSLR technique in several images that suggest snapshot expertise that lends itself to less than spectacular results with any full frame DSLR.

henri verheyen

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
This camera is outstanding, here some examples. All shot with 5 mp, i never use 41 mp.
And i do some light editing with, Fotor, Adobe photoshop express, Microsoft Digital Image, and photoroom.FACEBOOK (318).jpgFACEBOOK (382).jpgFACEBOOK (395).jpgFACEBOOK (405).jpgFACEBOOK (410).jpgFACEBOOK (424).jpgFACEBOOK (428).jpgFACEBOOK (441).jpgFACEBOOK (452).jpgFACEBOOK (598).jpgFACEBOOK (609).jpg

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
the camera on the 1020 is phenomenal no doubt about it but it wont beat a dslr when the light goes down or in certain situations , it will still a do good job but things like , weaker xenon flash , smaller sensor then a dslr etc just mean it wont be able to keep up when the going gets tough

I love photos and I often photo parties when I go out to events , the 1020 can still get a nice picture but without variable flash and the bigger sensor the pictures I get from it aren't as alive as a dslr and things like laser trails aren't as effective

here are some pics from the 1020 I took on xmas morning ;-)

photo.php

photo.php

here are some from new years eve

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

in the shot above , the colour xenon shot of the crowd at the party you can see the 1020 was struggling , it still froze time ok and done nearly the whole room but its a flat image and the xenon flash is showing its weak output

here we have a similar shot on a micro 4/3rds Panasonic g3 which is a good camera but the sensor is smaller then a slr but bigger then the 1020 it also has a much more powerfull xenon with variable flash settings and this is what you can get from it with no edits ;-)

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

as you can see the g3 photos offer much more quality then the 1020s due to the hardware limitations of the 1020 ..... so while we are all loving the 1020 and how good it can be ..... lets not forget that it isn't as versatile as a slr just as the other smartphone cameras aren't as versatile as the 1020s ;-)

djmuzi

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
5 Megapixels are outdated. Sure it looks good on a Full HD display but as the 4K madness gets mainstream all the 5MP photos will go straight to the bin :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans