Calling all Lumia Icon owners with Preview for Developers...I need some Advice

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
So I got my MS Band and have been fiddling around with it using my old HTC 8x with PfD 8.1. I'm wondering how the PfD 8.1 is working on the Icon, these days. I looked around but a lot of posts are from a few months back. Wanted to see if it was worth going to it now, as I know there were alot of issues w/ PfD and the Icon in the beginning. Yay or nay... let's tally up the votes.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yay

I'm running WP8.1.1 DP and have a MS Band with no issues. It's syncing and I even installed Pimp My Band and loaded a custom wallpaper.

As far as WP8.1.1 DP over all, I have no major issues. Others may disagree though and these issues should be resolved when Verizon pumps out Denim (hopefully) soon.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Echo Gernerttl. The only "glitch" I have had with PFD on my Icon has been the wake delay and maddenly slow Lumia Camera app.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Like Gernerttl, I agree. The only thing I was missing from Cyan was the BTLE, but since the Band does not require it, I'm good to go. The only thing I notice, is if leave the room and loose my bt connection between the Band and phone, the Band does not automatically reconnect to my Icon. I have to manually reconnect them.

rich1lloyd

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I'd be tempted not to bother now, at least give it to the end of January on the off chance the high school intern that Verizon have working on testing the Denim update gets his work done before he goes back to school.

The lack of BTLE is just infuriating, whatever the reason for the delays, fitness trackers seems to have sold well this Christmas and there are probably tens of Lumia Icon owners running the DP wondering why their new Fitbit/HRM doesn't sync with their phone - just more fail by MS/Verizon

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanx for the input, guys. I was thinking like Rich, and wait. But I also have the fact that I can roll back with the Nokia desktop app if I find it too glitch. Hmmm... decisions, decisions.

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
PFD has been fine on my Icon since May. The problems are due to the lack of firmware and if Microsoft and VZW ever get their **** together this will be an awesome device.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Echo Gernerttl. The only "glitch" I have had with PFD on my Icon has been the wake delay and maddenly slow Lumia Camera app.

Been running WP for Developers Preview with the Microsoft Band and have had no issues.

dkediger....If you have Live Lock Screen BETA installed that is what is causing your wake delay. I had to uninstall, as the wake delay was becoming an annoyance.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
So I went for it. So far so good. The only thing I noticed in the last 2 days, is a longer boot time when restating or turning on the phone. And I'm losing about an hour and a half to 2 hours of battery time. I used to go 8-12 hours on a charge, now I'm getting 6-9. I will keep an eye on it....maybe as my usage slows, as I've been checking out settings and features, plus playing with the Band, it will go back to normal. Unless this is a known issue...anyone know off hand?

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
So I went for it. So far so good. The only thing I noticed in the last 2 days, is a longer boot time when restating or turning on the phone. And I'm losing about an hour and a half to 2 hours of battery time. I used to go 8-12 hours on a charge, now I'm getting 6-9. I will keep an eye on it....maybe as my usage slows, as I've been checking out settings and features, plus playing with the Band, it will go back to normal. Unless this is a known issue...anyone know off hand?

Check your battery saver app to see what is using your battery life. Depending on your usage, such as heavy on video streaming or gaming, 12 hours is not a lot of time. Difficult to compare one person's usage to another persons, but currently my battery life is at 47% with last charge being a little over 11 hours ago and still have over 9 hours of estimated battery life left. 20 hours is my average battery life.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Check your battery saver app to see what is using your battery life. Depending on your usage, such as heavy on video streaming or gaming, 12 hours is not a lot of time. Difficult to compare one person's usage to another persons, but currently my battery life is at 47% with last charge being a little over 11 hours ago and still have over 9 hours of estimated battery life left. 20 hours is my average battery life.

Well, I'm a heavy user, so I've always only gotten 12 hours on all my phones. But 8 hrs is a bit low. I'm gonna see if when I level out my usage and stop playing around on it so much, if I go back up to 12.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Just got an Icon myself. Make sure you keep checking updates in DP as it runs several out of the box. Mine is working great! My battery life is also fantastic. First day went from 5am til 10pm and still had 49% left with pretty heavy use.

johnzot

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I finally took the plunge into 8.1 PfD ... and now I am getting horrid battery life. I've been trying to search the forums for remedies, but to no avail. In standby mode ~ 5% drain per hour. With the screen on ~ 10-20%+ drain per hour. The lower back of my Icon gets warm when I turn on the screen, as well.

I have read that I need to wait a few days for the phone to "settle in", (and I'm hoping that is the case). However, any ideas from some of you with very positive experience?

Thanks in advance

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I finally took the plunge into 8.1 PfD ... and now I am getting horrid battery life. I've been trying to search the forums for remedies, but to no avail. In standby mode ~ 5% drain per hour. With the screen on ~ 10-20%+ drain per hour. The lower back of my Icon gets warm when I turn on the screen, as well.

I have read that I need to wait a few days for the phone to "settle in", (and I'm hoping that is the case). However, any ideas from some of you with very positive experience?

Thanks in advance

Have you done a soft reset since doing the update? Sometimes this can be helpful. If that doesn't resolve the issue after a few days then I would recommend a hard reset.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I can say the reason I had so many replacement phones was due to over heating batteries on all of them, so it could be defective and you need to roll back to 8.0 and get a replacement, if at first a hard reset doesn't fix the issue. I finally got a good one and even changed my chargers, as a bad battery can screw those up. But since then, and since my usage and playing around has slowed since upgrading to 8.1, my battery life has improved significantly.

johnzot

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I actually have done a soft reset - multiple times, however, does not seem to be helping much. However, I'm still hopeful.

Regarding a hard reset - this is an awful option for me, as I still use MetroTalk. A hard reset would remove this app, and I have NO CLUE how to re-install, as it is now "un-published". If I could re-install, I'd do a hard reset.

Any ideas on how to re-install "removed apps"?

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't think so. Unless someone else knows, ur gonna have to lose the app. It honestly seems like ur only 2 options are to hard reset or get a replacement. Either way u lose it. Or you just have to deal with the over heating battery and quick discharges.

johnzot

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the battery drain - a stop-gap solution: I am now on full-time battery save mode. What I didn't realize, however, is that you can choose which apps are not affected by this mode, meaning, (in my case), I can have WhatsApp, Skype, and MetroTalk always available in the background. It seems to have helped - as the last 3 hours, I lost ~ 15%, with normal usage (vs 30% with no usage). I'm ok with that.

Regarding re-installation of my MetroMail app: to be honest with you, my only need from Google is Google Voice, (you'd think Skype could be the answer - but, no). I was hoping for some "jailbreak" solution....

Anyways, if anyone is interested in my battery drain "solution", I can update my status as I learn more.

Thanks Darkgift and Bmetelsky for the input.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo