Would you recommend buying case for this phone?

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I never had a case for my Icon. My rationale was that the phone looked too good to put in a case.
Well........I did drop the phone a few times. I had the black Icon and it had a black aluminum band around the edge.
The aluminum band was scratched on two corners, and instead of black the aluminum was showing through.
If you can find a good looking case, I would recommend that.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't see a compelling reason to buy a case. You ruin the aesthetic of the device and the protection is questionable. Plus you won't be able to enjoy the look of the phone with a case, so why bother protecting it? Also a case does not guarantee a crack-free screen. Finally, a case can prevent heat from escaping from the phone which will result in reduced battery life and performance. You are better off enjoying the phone without a case and buying insurance if possible... Do you put plastic over the furniture in your house?

That being said, if you are dead set on a case for protection the best is the Incipio DualPro IMO, but I would pass on a case altogether.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Does a case really increase the amount of heat on the phone? Logically, it makes sense. But the 930 has no vents to disperse heat already.

I just bought a case, and am now feeling paranoid!!!!

Thanks for bringing it to my attention....

Mr. V

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I would think that if you have $ invested in the phone and you didn't have to buy it, no; you don't need one.

If you take pride in keeping something you have time and money invested in, yes; by all means use a case.

I don't have the money to get on not dropping my phone and I don't have the $ to replace one that did not have a case to protect it.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Does a case really increase the amount of heat on the phone? Logically, it makes sense. But the 930 has no vents to disperse heat already.

I just bought a case, and am now feeling paranoid!!!!

Thanks for bringing it to my attention....

Mr. V
A silicon case would definitely make the phone hotter, yes, as it is an insulator. Most of the protection cases use silicon inside the hard plastic.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I have the Nokia flip case & a Skinomi screen protector on my L930, the job I do a phone needs all the protection it can get. Phone is also insured ( comes free as part of bank account package )

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Finally, a case can prevent heat from escaping from the phone which will result in reduced battery life and performance.

First of all, I gotta say that was really hilarious, dude. Second, where did you get the idea that having a case actually affects heat and performance on a device? Is not like the phone have a fan inside and/or have a lot of holes in the back of the phone for the heat to go come out. And that the case is there covering the invisible holes. I gotta tell ya you're a funny fella.

This has to be at least the quote of the month.

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I would think that if you have $ invested in the phone and you didn't have to buy it, no; you don't need one.

If you take pride in keeping something you have time and money invested in, yes; by all means use a case.

I don't have the money to get on not dropping my phone and I don't have the $ to replace one that did not have a case to protect it.

hey man, tried to send u a PM but your inbox is full. Pls clear your inbox and get back to me. Thanks :)

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
First of all, I gotta say that was really hilarious, dude. Second, where did you get the idea that having a case actually affects heat and performance on a device? Is not like the phone have a fan inside and/or have a lot of holes in the back of the phone for the heat to go come out. And that the case is there covering the invisible holes. I gotta tell ya you're a funny fella.

This has to be at least the quote of the month.

You should try running your computers CPU heat sink with a silicon cover over it, then put the cpu fan on top of the silicon cover and see what it does for your temps; your CPU will likely overheat in minutes.

There does not need to be "holes" or a "fan" lol. The body of the case and aluminum rim essentially act as external heat sinks for the SoC and battery (which run hot on the 930/Icon under load and during charging respectively) and if you use a silicon case it slows the heat from escaping away from the device as silicon is an insulator... Resulting in the whole device inside and outside getting hotter. Physics FTW.

Last edited:

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
So, in summary, the cases that offer the most protection (otterbox, incipio dualpro) cause the phone to retain heat thus reducing performance.

The cases that offer the least protection (incipio feather) allow heat to move away from the device much quicker... But at the cost of reduced protection.

So you can either choose a case with a lot of protection and contribute to your phone overheating. Or you can buy a case with minimal protection which will prevent nicks and scratches, but add bulk, harm aesthetics, and offer minimal help in a catastrophic fall.

Or you can just not buy a case - if you can find/afford damage replacement insurance for the phone, running naked is clearly the best option.

Last edited:

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
After putting an otterbox defender case on my 930 it doesnt feel hot at all :winktongue: It feels very well protected .

930 gets hot without a case (especially lower right corner where CPU is) when doing anything intensive, it is going to get even hotter internally with a layered case. You may not feel the heat on the outside of the case because the case is an insulator preventing heat from escaping, making the phone internally hotter.

The only way it will not get hot at all is if you do nothing except look at the start screen. Try playing a 3d game for 10mins then remove the phone from the case and see how it feels. The otterbox defender is the absolute worst out of all the cases in trapping heat around the phone.

Btw if you are still in denial both the 930 manual and apple iPhone manual instruct user to remove phone from any protective case when charging due to heat issues the case can cause. It is common sense when you think about it.

Last edited:

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
You should try running your computers CPU heat sink with a silicon cover over it, then put the cpu fan on top of the silicon cover and see what it does for your temps; your CPU will likely overheat in minutes.

Bro, please stop. I already laughed enough. Sigh, usually I don't ask for sources but.. Where are your sources? Where do you get these ideas? The reason why I know this is totally a lie and not true is because about a week ago, there was an article here on Windows Central, talking about all things battery. And nowhere in that articles states about cases causing battery issues.

Also, about the PC example. Again, seriously? Mobile devices have special made CPU's that are quite different than the one from a PC. A PC's CPU is much more powerful and produces a lot of more heat to where it NEEDS a fan. The mobile devices one are made to not make too much heat. This is an area where many companies are working on getting better. On reducing the heat. Mobile devices (even some laptops) needs to be small and thin (at least phones and tablets). So manufacturers ditch the fan to save space but, they need to fix and prevent any possible overheating that might cause malfunction of the device or even put the customer in danger.

Your theory is interesting but base only on your what? You done testing? Proof? Sources?

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Bro, please stop. I already laughed enough. Sigh, usually I don't ask for sources but.. Where are your sources? Where do you get these ideas? The reason why I know this is totally a lie and not true is because about a week ago, there was an article here on Windows Central, talking about all things battery. And nowhere in that articles states about cases causing battery issues.

Also, about the PC example. Again, seriously? Mobile devices have special made CPU's that are quite different than the one from a PC. A PC's CPU is much more powerful and produces a lot of more heat to where it NEEDS a fan. The mobile devices one are made to not make too much heat. This is an area where many companies are working on getting better. On reducing the heat. Mobile devices (even some laptops) needs to be small and thin (at least phones and tablets). So manufacturers ditch the fan to save space but, they need to fix and prevent any possible overheating that might cause malfunction of the device or even put the customer in danger.

Your theory is interesting but base only on your what? You done testing? Proof? Sources?

I have not tested the icon/930 myself for temps (don't have proper equip) but lets look at what is known.
1. There are a ton of posts about the icon/930 being uncomfortably hot under load in this forum.
2. The area complained about most is the lower right corner.
3. The lower right corner is where the snapdragon 800 CPU is located: http://www.smartphonefrance.info/Technique/NokiaLumia930/disassembly/disassembly.html - The chip is obviously generating a lot of heat, which is transferred to the phone chassis similar to a heat sink on a CPU.
4. The Snapdragon 800 CPU is programmed to throttle (slow down) when it gets hot. The hotter it gets, the more and longer it throttles.
5. Lithium batteries also have reduced life when very hot.
6. Placing a thick protective case like and otterbox or incipio dualpro on the phone will trap heat that would normally be released into the air around the phone, and hence will slow heat dissipation.
7. Thus, because of the very nature of how components react to heat, performance should be reduced with a case especially when doing tasks that generate heat such as games, apps and charging. How much it is reduced involves numerous variables.

While I doubt a case will be an issue for low powered phones, snapdragon 800 and other high powered chips generate a lot of heat. Thus the impact a case makes will depend on the phone CPU and case itself. The phones will not stop working, but performance will be reduced due to increased throttling in response to heat trapped around the phone. Battery life will also be impacted as heat reduces battery life.

Last edited:

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I have not tested the icon/930 myself for temps (don't have proper equip) but lets look at what is known.
1. There are a ton of posts about the icon/930 being uncomfortably hot under load in this forum.

1. Yes, the 930 has a lot of heat problems WITHOUT a case. Also, you said it yourself, you have not tested it just yet, so it's hard to believe a bit of what you're saying. Again you are just assuming that with a case it will only get hotter and stay like this longer.

3. The lower right corner is where the snapdragon 800 CPU is located: http://www.smartphonefrance.info/Technique/NokiaLumia930/disassembly/disassembly.html - The chip is obviously generating a lot of heat, which is transferred to the phone chassis similar to a heat sink on a CPU.

4. The Snapdragon 800 CPU is programmed to throttle (slow down) when it gets hot. The hotter it gets, the more and longer it throttles.

4. They're are two things to consider. One, it's a Snapdragon 800. There are only two WP with such processor (and the HTC M8). Second thing to consider is that, it seems like the 930 is the only one that has the really bad heat problems. The other two (1520 & HTC M8) don't seems to have such problems. And since it seems like the heat problems is in pretty much almost every 930. It could be Nokia just made bad components placement decisions. Leading to a defect in the 930.

6. Placing a thick protective case like and otterbox or incipio dualpro on the phone will trap heat that would normally be released into the air around the phone, and hence will slow heat dissipation.

Lastly. Now, you're even narrowing/shorting the possibility for a case to be associated with the heat problems in ANY device. But, you're only talking specifically about the 930. Which the phone has great problems NOT because of a case but because that's how the phone is. I have an 830 with me. I played Asphalt for about 3 hours until it got hot. Then waited until the great went off. After that I did the same thing but with a case on. This case has a plastic case with a thick leather cover on top of it. Played Asphalt and got the same results.

You're theory is interesting but you cannot try to prove this with a phone that basically gets hot but you just looking at it (of course that's not true). If you base these ideas on other tested phone other than the 930 or any phone with crazy heat problems then your idea might be more believable.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo