Should I buy the M8 now or wait?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi all --

So, my life on Windows Phone began with the Lumia 900. Ever since then, all I have owned for Windows Phones have been Lumias.

Right now, I'm rocking the Lumia 830 - I love it, but I have an opportunity to upgrade and give my 830 to my brother.

The question is - is now a good time to get the HTC M8 or should I hold off until Windows 10?

My main concern is that the M8 won't get Windows 10, or will be extremely slow with updates. Can anyone give me the pros/cons of M8 vs a Lumia?

MaxMones501

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Con: The M8 camera may be worse considering HTC isn't renowned for making cameras like Nokia is. Also It is a bit expensive
Pro: The M8 looks more stylish and I think that many covers are available.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
The M8 will get WP10, the question would be when Vs Lumia. Truth is we don't know. The M8 is an upgrade in every way Vs the 830 except the camera so the decision should really come down to price and if your willing to wait a few months for 2015 flagship hardware.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I own an M8 and think it's a great phone. It's very responsive, looks great, feels like a quality device, has great stereo speakers.

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I would wait, I like my M8 but there has to be some new phones on the early horizon that will probably be worth looking into...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The HTC M9 is reportedly coming, but I haven't heard whether or not it's coming in Windows Phone, or if it's Android only.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Part of the answer could depend on the carrier you are on and what their track record is with WP devices. If you are on a WP friendly carrier like AT&T, then waiting may be wise as they would most likely get the next Lumia flagship whenever it gets released. I personally like the M8 quite a bit and decided to go for it because my carrier has very limited options for WP. Performance is on par with the Icon I had, display is nice and the phone is very sleek. I am not much of a camera person so that wasn't really a deciding factor for me. I imagine in gifted hands it could get some nice shots, though many people feel it is below what a WP phone should have. Again, it's all about what is important to you and you alone.

These are my personal pros and cons based on my experience with the device. YMMV:

MY Pros
Stereo speakers are very nice, movies and games are great
Light and easy to handle, but is a bit long if you have small hands
It's a very fast phone
Camera - though not luxurious it is very quick and takes decent photos for social media etc.
For my usage pattern, battery life is better than my Icon or GS5. About 14 hours puts me down to 5-6%
Double tap to wake
SD card slot
I like that you can hide the windows buttons to give it a little more screen real estate. A quick flip of the thumb brings it back.

MY Cons
Takes a bit to get used to using one handed. As I said, it's a bit long
Sunlight readability is poor
Naked it is slippery and will slide right off a car seat or out of your hand if not careful
No WiFi calling (TMob issue, not HTC issue)

Last edited:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I can vouch for it. I can say that I ASSUME it will get the W10 update, but no way we can do anymore than cheer for it and plce the over/under at 7 months from when it is released.

Otherwise, the more I use it, the happier I am with it. I started a thread over why I picked it, so I won't bore you here with my reasons. Tough for me to say "get it over a Lumia" because of MS support over HTC. But it is worth the buy for the Hero device it is right now.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
If you use the developer preview you will get Windows 10 right along with everyone else, Microsoft has said all Windows smart phones will get the upgrade.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
While this is true, it may not be without issues that an HTC firmware update would need to fix to make it stable. This is a scenario that WP HTC devices have seen in the past and it took a while to happen.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
If you are on T-Mobile and have jump...go for it..screw 2 year contracts.If a better Win 10 phone comes out in July...ill "Jump" ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs