OneDrive sync to my phone glitch

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Over a 18 hr period my OneDrive online account 'dropped' over 6.8GB of photos to my phone's OneDrive App account without me actually doing anything it just happened ..MS Windows Phone blames MS OneDrive and they blame NOKIA.. real issue is OD app on my phone went from just under 1.62GB to 8.4GB by this am, and that is stored on my phone's storage :eck:

Last edited:

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Just so we're clear, your "Onedrive online account" and your "Onedrive app account" should be the same account.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so which folder is in question here? Camera roll? Do you have the "auto upload" feature enabled in camera/photos settings? And do you have "camera roll backup" enabled in the Onedrive settings?

I'm really not sure what to suggest if what you're telling us is Onedrive "moved" a bunch of pics "to your phone", other than just making sure those auto upload and backup settings are on. Maybe you could check and see if said pics are available on OneDrive on a PC, then once you're sure you have them, delete them from your phone.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
If you delete photos in the OneDrive app on the phone, they're deleted online.
The OD folder in the Photo isn't the issue.
Those are 'online', the OD App in Storage Sense jumped from about 1.62 GB to almost 8.42 GB over night (1.62GB originally plus 6.8GB = 8.42 GB) and that GB is now in the phones storage. I haven't done anything different as in I only upload photos to OneDrive online as needed "maybe" every 3 days otherwise it's OFF and only 8-9 photos at a time. I have only have 114 MB of photos on my SD card and 208 bytes in the phones storage. In Storage sense the Phone's system almost doubled to close to 10.5GB -in a 12 hr. period. "Moved" meaning mysteriously, I did not download them or open the OD Folder in Photos and saved almost 7GB of photos to my phone. ALL the photos in my online OD account (which are still there) copies of those photos arecon my OD app on my phone (not the folder in Photos) and that is stored on my phones storage...thus the almost 7GB jump in the phones storage in a 12 hr period. I did nothing different, MS Windows Phone Support /MS OneDrive Support, Nokia Support all say that should not happen, and are baffled.

***I switched numbers accidently in my original post..OD app on my phone jumped from about 1.62GB to 8.4GB not the other way around and that is stored on my phone.

And where do I find this "And do you have "camera roll backup" enabled in the Onedrive settings" there are no settings on the OD App on the phone, 0 settings. Menu: 'create a folder. refresh, sort by, recycle bin, send feed back,

Last edited:

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
On your phone, go to settings and swipe over to applications. Then scroll down to "photos + camera" and scroll down to the bottom. You'll see the Onedrive Auto upload settings there.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If you delete photos in the OneDrive app on the phone, they're deleted online.
The OD folder in the Photo isn't the issue.
Those are 'online', the OD App in Storage Sense jumped from about 1.62 GB to almost 8.42 GB over night (1.62GB originally plus 6.8GB = 8.42 GB) and that GB is now in the phones storage. I haven't done anything different as in I only upload photos to OneDrive online as needed "maybe" every 3 days otherwise it's OFF and only 8-9 photos at a time. I have only have 114 MB of photos on my SD card and 208 bytes in the phones storage. In Storage sense the Phone's system almost doubled to close to 10.5GB -in a 12 hr. period. "Moved" meaning mysteriously, I did not download them or open the OD Folder in Photos and saved almost 7GB of photos to my phone. ALL the photos in my online OD account (which are still there) copies of those photos arecon my OD app on my phone (not the folder in Photos) and that is stored on my phones storage...thus the almost 7GB jump in the phones storage in a 12 hr period. I did nothing different, MS Windows Phone Support /MS OneDrive Support, Nokia Support all say that should not happen, and are baffled.

***I switched numbers accidently in my original post..OD app on my phone jumped from about 1.62GB to 8.4GB not the other way around and that is stored on my phone.

And where do I find this "And do you have "camera roll backup" enabled in the Onedrive settings" there are no settings on the OD App on the phone, 0 settings. Menu: 'create a folder. refresh, sort by, recycle bin, send feed back,

The Onedrive app is just a representation of what is stored on your Onedrive account (in the cloud) There are NO files (or pictures) stored inside the Onedrive app on your phone as if it was a different location. If there's pictures taking up space on your phone, then they are on your phones storage.

Try hooking your phone up to your PC with the USB cable, and browse the folders until you find the photos in question. First make sure they're saved on Onedrive, or another folder somewhere on your computer. (make a new "pics" folder on your desktop if you have to, and copy all the pics there) Then, you can safely delete the pictures from your phone and free up the storage problem.

Again, make sure you save it copy all your pics somewhere safe (like the new folder). I'm not going to be responsible for any lost photos...

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
The Onedrive app is just a representation of what is stored on your Onedrive account (in the cloud) There are NO files (or pictures) stored inside the Onedrive app on your phone as if it was a different location. If there's pictures taking up space on your phone, then they are on your phones storage.

Try hooking your phone up to your PC with the USB cable, and browse the folders until you find the photos in question. First make sure they're saved on Onedrive, or another folder somewhere on your computer. (make a new "pics" folder on your desktop if you have to, and copy all the pics there) Then, you can safely delete the pictures from your phone and free up the storage problem.

Again, make sure you save it copy all your pics somewhere safe (like the new folder). I'm not going to be responsible for any lost photos...

You don't know what you are talking about in MY case. I sent screen shots to Nokia this morning and to MS Windows Phone support they would whole heartedly disagree.
I deleted several from the OneDrive app (not the folder in Photos you can't delete them there) I deleted several from the OneDrive app they disappeared in the cloud. Deleting the few I do have:
114 MB of photos stored on my SD and 208 bytes in the phones storage won't make a dent in the 6.8 GB increase ( 1.62GB to 8.42 GB). In 12 hrs +/- in Storage sense > apps + games > OneDrive jumped from 1.62 GB to 8.42 GB in the 12 hr period and Phone storage increased by the difference in those two numbers approx. 6.8GB. You can give "advice" here on WC since we all are free to do that and perhaps you don't "get" or I'm not explaining it so you can understand, if so that is my fault but MS WP support and MS OD support and Nokia Support 'get it' so it must be me trying to show you what is way off.. So you are wrong in your conclusions if that is the case. MS WP support 'said' they will escalate issue and email me back a solution IF they can figure it out. Thanks anyway. The photos in question are ALL the photos in OD online account now that they are talking up space on my phones storage minus the 114MB on my SD card which I did not upload and the 208 bytes in phone storage .which are basically nothing.

Last edited:

dysje

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Most people have been able to solve a sudden increase in onedrive app size by checking pending uploads in the onedrive app. I take it you have no pending uploads in the onedrive app itself? If you do... remove them. Could be a weird bug.

Alternatively it could possibly be that you tried to open a 6.8gb file on your phone that is stored on your onedrive and the onedrive app attempted to cache that. Which is kinda funny.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I only upload photos manually, nothing pending. I didn't try to open a file that big, must be bug / glitch. I guess I just reset my phone.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
You don't know what you are talking about in MY case. I sent screen shots to Nokia this morning and to MS Windows Phone support they would whole heartedly disagree.
I deleted several from the OneDrive app (not the folder in Photos you can't delete them there) I deleted several from the OneDrive app they disappeared in the cloud. Deleting the few I do have:
114 MB of photos stored on my SD and 208 bytes in the phones storage won't make a dent in the 6.8 GB increase ( 1.62GB to 8.42 GB). In 12 hrs +/- in Storage sense > apps + games > OneDrive jumped from 1.62 GB to 8.42 GB in the 12 hr period and Phone storage increased by the difference in those two numbers approx. 6.8GB. You can give "advice" here on WC since we all are free to do that and perhaps you don't "get" or I'm not explaining it so you can understand, if so that is my fault but MS WP support and MS OD support and Nokia Support 'get it' so it must be me trying to show you what is way off.. So you are wrong in your conclusions if that is the case. MS WP support 'said' they will escalate issue and email me back a solution IF they can figure it out. Thanks anyway. The photos in question are ALL the photos in OD online account now that they are talking up space on my phones storage minus the 114MB on my SD card which I did not upload and the 208 bytes in phone storage .which are basically nothing.

Perhaps you're right, and I am misunderstanding the problem. Yes, if you're using the Onedrive app on your phone to delete a photo, of course it deletes it from the cloud, because that's all the Onedrive app is, a representation of what you have saved in the cloud (Onedrive). There's only two places your photos could be, on Onedrive (the cloud)... or, on your phone's storage. It's that simple.

Maybe MS WP support, MS OD support, or Nokia support will be able to help you, since they "get it". Or now that you "guess" that you've reset your phone, maybe that will fix your problem. Either way, good luck!

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering why resetting the phone wasn't the first option :/

Because it's a PITA and Nokia said if I ( they suggested that if all else fails) do it don't back up anything and start fresh as it came from the factory - and that makes it even more of a PITA :eck:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Because it's a PITA and Nokia said if I ( they suggested that if all else fails) do it don't back up anything and start fresh as it came from the factory - and that makes it even more of a PITA :eck:

Ok I get that, but the way the post was constructed made me believe you had a problem and wanted our help, and I think that goes for Ed B. as well, but after reading the comments it seems that you already received some help from official channels? I think it would've been better if you added a sentence to the OP that you're already in contact with others about this and are waiting for their official reply

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok I get that, but the way the post was constructed made me believe you had a problem and wanted our help, and I think that goes for Ed B. as well, but after reading the comments it seems that you already received some help from official channels? I think it would've been better if you added a sentence to the OP that you're already in contact with others about this and are waiting for their official reply

I did want help but Ed missed the point and well you can read what he wrote.. besides MS WP support said they would escalate it, they didn't say when they would have an answer. And I did mentions all three main sources in my first post, you can't figure out if they all passed the blame on the other I contact them ?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I did want help but Ed missed the point and well you can read what he wrote.. besides MS WP support said they would escalate it, they didn't say when they would have an answer. And I did mentions all three main sources in my first post, you can't figure out if they all passed the blame on the other I contact them ?

I understand you. You want your problem solved and did not want to put all your eggs in one nest. Nothing wrong with that but unfortunately in this post some misunderstanding came up. And this redirected use from the problem you have.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I understand you. You want your problem solved and did not want to put all your eggs in one nest. Nothing wrong with that but unfortunately in this post some misunderstanding came up. And this redirected use from the problem you have.

WP Support finally came up with a solution the same as Nokia and most of us probably knew. Reset

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos