Yep, picked up the WP Flagship M8, and here is why....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have seen HTC support their recent devices much better- mostly the ONE series. That has helped.

I do not want to bash HTC.... I want to believe in them. This M8 is fantastic. It sure has a different feel from the Lumia's, but I am okay with that. It is a device that just sings the WP song well. There is no real downside at this point for me. I figure in 6-8 months we will know how HTC views it's consumers.

Watching on the Android side now, to see how many HTC One M7 & M8 users get Lollipop. (Honest, who in Google names these Android versions??) The proof of their intentions will be in their updates.

DrRyder

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Also, HTC Advantage guarantees device updates for 2 years, so they're trying to improve their update process. Being on the Developer Preview, the updates rely on Microsoft, not HTC or your carrier. With Android, there is no Developer Preview. You either root your phone and update your ROM to custom ones based on leaked RUUs or you have to wait for HTC to finish the update and then send it to your carrier to add all their junk.

That is one reason why I prefer Windows Phone over Android. Updates are way different. If I want to get updates before a lot of people, I'll stay in the Developer Preview. Then when HTC pushes out an update to AT&T, I'll switch it off and get the next official update. Its a totally different process for Android VS Windows Phone so being left high & dry in the Android world doesn't necessarily mean you'll be left that way in the Windows Phone world.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, I have seen HTC support their recent devices much better- mostly the ONE series. That has helped.

I do not want to bash HTC.... I want to believe in them. This M8 is fantastic. It sure has a different feel from the Lumia's, but I am okay with that. It is a device that just sings the WP song well. There is no real downside at this point for me. I figure in 6-8 months we will know how HTC views it's consumers.

Watching on the Android side now, to see how many HTC One M7 & M8 users get Lollipop. (Honest, who in Google names these Android versions??) The proof of their intentions will be in their updates.
HTC has their backs pinned to the wall at the moment. Not releasing Lollipop for either will not be a PR disaster they will risk.
That said, I think Microsoft moneyhatted the phone anyway, so they can take charge in updates.

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
Good luck with that. I gave up on HTC for good after one of those infamous high & dry situations. That company does not deserve my money, and I'd rather burn it than hand over one more dime to HTC.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
I was fooled twice by HTC on Android devices with missing updates every other phone in creation was getting, but no more. If there were Vegas odds, they would have to be at least 50 to 1 on even a 920 getting Windows 10 before an HTC phone.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree with about everything you typed!!

2 things I have to say I have missed more than I thought I would: The physical camera button and the Glance. Glance was simply because my phone is my watch, and having the time without waking the phone up was super handy. The physical button for the camera is handy when something starts happening right in front of you as you are using the phone for something else or if the phone is off. Being able to just hit that button and you are right there is way better than having to back out to the menu and slid to the camera icon.

Otherwise, I like it so far. I dig the onscreen keys. Being able to remove them and bring them back up makes way more sense to me than capacitive keys taking up real estate. It is as quick as a hiccup, and I was watching the "Agent Carter" premier on my Watch ABC app, and the sound was really good. Just a good time.

Love the large selection of cases and accessories as well. It having a fraternal twin that is an Android has its advantages.

I missed the camera button as well at first, but after putting the HTC One Camera tile in a "good" place, I hit it just about as quick as with button and tapping camera on display to take, quickly adjusted as well. Got the wife a 635 for Christmas and same setup for her.

srcpt

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
There's actually a pretty good reason for the M8 NOT to have wireless... Aluminum is not conductive. The entire back of the phone is a solid piece of aluminum. Getting a current to pass through that would be almost impossible. That means you would either have to drill the case to put holes in it for something that would be conductive or you would have to use a case style that plugs into the USB port. HTC didn't want to go that route, so they left it off. It does make perfect sense.

Isn't aluminum actually a very good conductor? It used to be used in residential wiring when copper was in short supply. It's still used in long distance high tension electrical transmission lines.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
HTC has their backs pinned to the wall at the moment. Not releasing Lollipop for either will not be a PR disaster they will risk.
That said, I think Microsoft moneyhatted the phone anyway, so they can take charge in updates.

"moneyhatted"?

Like that phrase..... Gonna steal it and give you no credit at all, so you know.

:devil:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Most of the post through this thread are about the exact reason I crossed the M8W off my list at first as well: Support. It is one thing that HTC did not bring updates, most are concerned that HTC did not even fix problems with their devices they could have.

But I urge everyone to consider this phone. We in the WP world are short on top level options, and this is a top end, well designed phone on the top two carriers in the US. I do recommend it. I feel HTC realizes as a company that they had success early with Windows Mobile, WP devices like the Trophy and other WP 1st gen, and Android devices like the EVO, than fell out of favor with their horrid Thunderbolt, bad follow up on Sprint in the glitch filled EVO 3D, and the aforementioned Titan,

But this just feels better. It works well, smoothly, and the quirks that turned into problems in other HTC's so far are not there. I will be honest if they start, but right now I have seen nothing to think this will be anything but enjoyable. I am not recommending it over Lumia's, I am recommending it for what it is: A serious Flagship for WP.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I love my M8, the only thing I miss is number blocking and I can live without that, I run the Developer preview so I will get all the new updates and even if it didn't I would be ok with that, I bought the phone for what it is not for what it could be. I think the Lumia phones are great and have super cameras but oh my word are they getting long in the tooth on looks, and I wanted a new flagship phone now not 10 months from now, and one with a attractive look and feel and something new to offer and the M8 filled the bill in spades. You are more tied up in the Lumia firmware then you are in the operating system, every brand has their own spin and add ons and app's . hey if a super great camera and Lumia's app's are what you like great, good for you, I happen to like HTC's spin on Windows phone. But oh wow, I mean really, you need to be happy with what you have and stop worrying about what is next .

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
2 things I have to say I have missed more than I thought I would: The physical camera button and the Glance. Glance was simply because my phone is my watch, and having the time without waking the phone up was super handy.
I never had glance, but found the double tap feature of the M8 was fine for a quick time check or recent alert, email, missed call check. As for the camera button this is of course a personal preference. I always preferred fewer buttons hanging off my phone giving it a more streamlined look. I had my camera app(pro shot) right on the home screen, tap awake and a simple press brought it up so basically two buttons pressed , barely more than a nano second or two and a picture was in my file, bam, done. Loved my M8 and my icon both. Both had their good and bad points as it is always so with these devices. Could care less about some debate if HTC would provide some update I may get or not. The M8 was maybe not ahead of the icon on updates if you used the DP, but it seemed to operate much smoother and with less issues than icon on DP. A great phone. Enjoy! I change phones usually yearly and next month the icon is a year old. Still no update to cyan etc. but folks still waiting over there in the icon forum. Now its denim. I wonder how old the icon will be before they get that, if ever. More importantly how well will a year old phone even run with it. Sorry, kinda went off topic. Enjoy your M8!

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The Icon has turned into quite the sore subject, hasn't it?

It was, in most ways, the perfect WP at launch. To screw it up is mystifying.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
The Icon not getting any updates is Verizon's fault, not Nokia's. The 930 ships with Cyan and will shortly receive Denim. If I'm not mistaken it's already available in some countries but I might be wrong. On the other hand HTC phones not getting updates or proper support is nowhere near any carrier's fault, that one has solely HTC written all over it. They've done it multiple times with multiple phones, which is why I do not trust them to offer proper long time support for their current lineup. Quite frankly I couldn't care less if their phones started farting out giant rainbows - the damage is done and I do not believe they've changed even a bit. It'll take years of hard steady work to win back customers lost due to crappy support.

To be honest I wouldn't even take an HTC phone if it was free. However, I do respect other people's opinions and I wish you all the best with your new phone. I sincerely hope you'll remain happy with it for as long as you intend to use it :)

Last edited:

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
The Icon not getting any updates is Verizon's fault, not Nokia's. The 930 ships with Cyan and will shortly receive Denim. If I'm not mistaken it's already available in some countries but I might be wrong. On the other hand HTC phones not getting updates or proper support is nowhere near any carrier's fault, that one has solely HTC written all over it. They've done it multiple times with multiple phones, which is why I do not trust them to offer proper long time support for their current lineup. Quite frankly I couldn't care less if their phones started farting out giant rainbows - the damage is done and I do not believe they've changed even a bit. It'll take years of hard steady work to win back customers lost due to crappy support.

To be honest I wouldn't even take an HTC phone if it was free. However, I do respect other people's opinions and I wish you all the best with your new phone. I sincerely hope you'll remain happy with it for as long as you intend to use it :)

When Nokia is slow on updates, it has to be carrier intervention. When HTC is, it cannot be carrier intervention.

Sounds legit.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
When Nokia is slow on updates, it has to be carrier intervention. When HTC is, it cannot be carrier intervention.

Sounds legit.
I believe it's more complicated than that. Nokia never released any CDMA Symbian devices due to a patent dispute. That kept Nokia off of Verizon and Sprint before Windows Phone existed. Nokia: No Symbian CDMA Handsets; Wait Until Windows Phone - Forbes

There might still be some bad feelings between Verizon and Microsoft Mobile, due to this past issue with Nokia.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site

Sounds legit.
The Icon is essentially a CDMA-version of the 930 exclusively available on Verizon. Cyan for the 930 is available, and so is Denim on some countries. Unlocked devices have received these updates already. Verizon, however, had decided to not release these updates yet for reasons unknown to all of us.

Tell me again, how is this Nokia's/Microsoft's fault?

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps M8 users on Verizon will get timely updates when they are available. Verizon has a long history of selling HTC devices.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
The Icon is essentially a CDMA-version of the 930 exclusively available on Verizon. Cyan for the 930 is available, and so is Denim on some countries. Unlocked devices have received these updates already. Verizon, however, had decided to not release these updates yet for reasons unknown to all of us.

Tell me again, how is this Nokia's/Microsoft's fault?

Oh I know its Verizon's fault. You missed the entire point of what I said.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99